Can I improve my 4g by flashing new radio

nothing_kills

Reaction score
My Droid Razr has less packet loss, lower ping, less jitter, and faster download than my HTC DNA. I love the HTC DNA, but 4G quality is most important to me. Can I improve the HTC DNA 4g by flashing the radio? Or, are motorola radios just that much better than everyone elses? The HTC DNA radio is baseband 1.01.04.0308 on rooted custom rom. The Razr is also rooted with custom rom baseband version cdma_n_.05.11.01PLTEDC_U_09.11.00. Both on verizon wireless using same sim card.

cz500boy

Reaction score
Updating your radio will help your signal strength and dtr on most any droid, as long as you have the correct kernel with a stable rom

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I would first warn you that you can't flash just any radio onto any other phone. Your DNA will have radios that are designed to function with the specific chipsets that the phone used for its radios. Don't flash anything that is not tested and confirmed safe for your phone lest you potentially and quite possibly permanently damage the radios or the entire phone.

Also, radios are not JUST the chipsets and the firmware, they are also antennas and placement of said antennas. Some manufacturers (i.e. Motorola), are seemingly infinitely better at the right blend of all 4 than most others. I've seen this first-hand over the last 20+ years, having started IN the cellular industry when the CarPhone was the order of the day and when "portable" phones - then "bagphones" were JUST making their appearance and were only for the rich and famous. I was at that time a Bell Atlantic Mobile (BAM), agent and saw the industry in it's infancy through pubescent age. I can tell you I've seen a lot of phones, some good, some remarkable and some were nearly DOA. Of all the phones I've seen, touched, programmed and used, none has more consistently and more remarkably performed from the perspective of making a simple phone call than the Motorola line, year after year, model after model.

You are very likely not going to get the same performance from the DNA that you do from the RAZR with respect to cellular and also WIFI communications, however geographical location and topography play a HUGE roll in that as well, so even with a great phone in a poor coverage area, you're going to experience slow data rates and poor phone call performance, and conversely in a very well covered area even the lousiest of radios will perform with what may seem like flawless performance for the most part.

cz500boy

Reaction score
I went through several razr maxxes signal was alright but it was very slow and data on it was terrible. I haven't had any problems with my DNA so far. I do agree that you need to make sure you have all the correct loads for your phone when altering something. If not the result could be very bad.