Can I get the BB NexTheme without wiping?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by tu3218, Jun 16, 2010.

1. tu3218

tu3218 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using BB 1.1 Smoked Glass theme right now and I could use a different look. Is there a way I can get the Nextheme without wiping my data?

2. bill12690

bill12690 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hm, not exactly sure... most of it will probably be fine, but if anything is themed in smoked glass that isnt theme in nextheme, it will stay themed as smoked glass for sure. not sure if that helps, but just make a nandroid backup and give it a shot..

3. ACalcutt

ACalcutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    NOT a good idea to apply one them over another. If you can find an update.zip for the stock theme, you could apply that before applying the nextheme. This is a good example of why it's convenient to have a nandroid of stock android before you have applied any themes.

5. tu3218

tu3218 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I have several nandroid backups, one I just used coming back from Jrummy froyo rom. So it seems that if I want the nextheme, I should just go into rom manager an download the nextheme Bugless Beast rom there and install as I did for the smoked glass rom. I guess I have to wipe though cause installing one rom over another isn't a smart idea?

6. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Installing one ROM over another isn't a good idea and installing one theme over another isn't either. You MAY get away with it, but it is much more likely that some problems will eventually pop up.

7. tu3218

tu3218 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Then what do people do who switch between roms a lot do? Seems a lot of people often use different roms.

8. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I always wipe unless I am just updating to a newer version of the same ROM. If you're on Bugless Beast version 0.1 and want to go to 0.2, you don't need to wipe. If you're coming from a Cyanogen ROM and want to use Chevy's newest 2.2 ROM, you would have to wipe. I usually stick with a single dev and only update when they release something new. With 2.2 just leaking out, many of us are trying multiple dev's ROMs. I bet I have wiped 4 different times since 2.2 was released.

9. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +908
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    they master the technique of getting their device re-setup : )

I ALWAYS wipe the device and flash a lot of ROMS. what I usually do is just put the basics back on kernel/set-cpu and run it for a while. If I like it I build it if not.....whoosh!!!!! it's gone

10. tu3218

tu3218 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh alright, so as long as I wipe data/cache before I install a new rom, then I'll be good? That was my understanding, I think I just got a little confused on a couple posts.

11. GolfProRM

GolfProRM Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What I've always done when switching themes with BB is just go into ROM manager and re-install the current version of BB with the stock (transparent) theme. Then after I've rebooted, I do the same thing, choosing the new theme I want. No need to wipe data when re-installing the same ROM again. Takes just a few minutes, and works like a charm.

EDIT: make sure to do a backup at least before re-installing the stock theme. That way if anything goes wrong, you can just flash the backup and try again.