Can I get Car Home 2.1 on FroYo?

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by ohioDroid, Jun 17, 2010.

1. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0

which one? if you need the old 2.1 cardock.apk you can also just download any 2.1 rom like chevy's and just grab it out of the system folder. i gotta finish a project really quick i'll be back in like 30 mins.

2. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0

i'm looking at my phone now, stock fresh frf84b, and i see one CarHomeLauncher.apk with a .odex and a CarHomeGoogle.apk and odex. not sure what the difference is between the two...

grr...only thing i noticed with my method is that both steering wheel icons show up in the notification bar when i put a magnet near it. i even tried renaming the CarDockLauncher and restarting, but it still showed up. oh well, not that big a deal i guess, i liked the old one and hated the new one.

#14 brochaos, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  3. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have Root Explorer and am uneducated on permissions, but I do know how to use adb shell to run terminal commands, copy and move files and such. Do any of you know how to check/change permissions with the shell? I can then try this method.

4. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i know chmod was the command to use, but that was back when i used to run linux. no clue if that will work on th phone...

5. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I may know what the issue is for me. The rom I extracted the 2.1 car dock apps from was stock 2.1 rooted, and it had a CarDock.apk and CarDock.odex.

The 2.2 I'm running now has CarHomeGoogle.apk and CarHomeLauncher.apk

The old files I have are 'odex-ed.' Right now, my understanding of that is that they rely on some specific system files present in the build they were made for - 2.1, and that the way around this is to not use a .odex file, but a normal .apk.

So the next question is, to brochaos or anyone else that got this to work, can you post the files you used? Maybe all it takes is deleting (or renaming) the 2.2 files and pushing 2.1 version APKs.

EDIT: I downloaded an SPRecovery 2.1 rom and extracted the CarDock.apk from it. I placed it in /system/app but I do not get another Car Home icon to appear. I then renamed CarHomeGoogle.apk to CarHomeGoogle.apk.bak, and named CarDock.apk as CarHomeGoogle.apk.

Doing that made the icon appear in the launcher... But running it did nothing. The steering wheel appears in the notification bar and allows me to exit car mode, but no actual car mode app visibly runs.

#17 ohioDroid, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  6. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's been a while but with brochaos's help, I figured out how to make this work.

You need to use an odexed ROM. All relevant files are in the /system/app/ folder.

1. You will have four relevant files:
      CarHomeGoogle.apk
      CarHomeGoogle.odex
      CarHomeLauncher.apk
      CarHomeLauncher.odex
    2. Leave the 'CarHomeLauncher' files alone. Rename each of the CarHomeGoogle files so that .BAK is tacked onto the end of their name (or you could delete them, but it's good to save original files).
    3. Get a DEodexed version of CarDock.apk from android 2.1, like this one: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...e-stock-2-1-ese81-ese81-deodexed-backups.html
    4. Extract CarDock.apk, rename it to CarHomeGoogle.apk, and place it in the /system/app/ folder.
    5. Change the permissions on the newly placed CarHomeGoogle file to match the permissions of the old one.
    6. You're done!

7. brochaos

brochaos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    glad you got it working man. now that 2.2 is rolling out, i think you might see some more attention in this thread. people that use the car dock are going to be disappointed...

8. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I started using "Custom Car Home" from the market and prefer it. Very simple, just lets you place up to eight shortcuts (enlarged) of your choosing on your screen and up to three screens, and you can make it your default car dock app. The only setback: it currently does not support overriding the home button to take you back to it.

9. r314bd

r314bd Member

Ratings:
    +23
    This process is a little complicated for me lol.

What is an odexed ROM? If any ROM builders could make an installation option to choose between 2.1 and 2.2 Car Home that would be awesome

10. r314bd

r314bd Member

Ratings:
    +23
    bump

What do you mean by "changing permissions" of the new one to match the old one?

11. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that a normal android program is an Application Package, saved as an APK file. These work on almost all android phones. However, the size of the file can be reduced if it is tailored for a specific rom/phone, and that's what 'odex'ing is. A single APK becomes an APK and ODEX, two separate files that are both needed to run but overall are smaller.

When you have root access you can change permissions on a file such as whether the user or operating system can Read the file, Write to the file, modify file, etc. Root explorer makes it simple with checkboxes. If you don't have root explorer, you need to do it through a command line.

12. r314bd

r314bd Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Is this the chmod command in adb shell?