can i do this via vpn ?

zero7404

Reaction score
unsure if it's possible, but if i set up a vpn connection with my home computer and leave it connected to the phone, would i be able to open a terminal on the phone via home pc and issue a command to wipe the device or nuke it, in case of loss ?

Reaction score
I'm not sure. But there are security apps on the market that let you do this, with the additional capability of finding the phone, if you leave the GPS receiver on. I believe the most popular is called Lookout Mobile Security, or something like that.

Edit: Also, just in case you didn't know (I only learned last week), the GPS receiver uses zero battery unless an app turns it on by requesting your location. You can tell when it's on by the GPS icon in the notification bar, obviously.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
yeah im aware of lookout, norton, even mobile defense. but these are offerings that are captializing on subscriptions/pay-per-year to get that functionality. so in the course of a year or 2 ive paid for protection for my device. android has built-in auto wipe, i just want to remotely trigger it in case of loss.

i dont mind paying a one-time fee for an app, but subscriptions im not into and dont care for.

posted via android