1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Can I do this? (new drawer handle, new folder icon; DroidMod 1.0, no alt home app)

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by OpalCat, Mar 14, 2010.

1. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

I'd like to avoid installing another home app, and I don't need a whole theme as my wallpaper and icons are already set how I want them (made my wallpaper, using Better cut and a mix of icon pack/custom icons)...

I WOULD like to change the app drawer handle image, though, and also the folder icon. I am using Apps Organizer for most of my stuff, but I have a few folders left for things like direct-dial contacts and so on, and those manila folder icons just look so bad with all the rest... bleah!

So is there a way to go in and change this stuff? I'm rooted and running DroidMod 1.0. (I don't want to change to another ROM, either.)

Thanks in advance!
  2. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Yes you can change the look of the app drawer. Just use metamorph
  3. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

Is there an easy explanation somewhere of how to do that? (most of the how-tos that I see for it are how to apply themes or create themes... I just want to change one simple image... don't want to spend hours on it)
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

You are going to create a theme for the launcher. A theme can theme just 1 thing or the entire phone. Metamorph is great as it allows you to select which apk you theme, but you can edit the theme to not include certain items and not others.

I will upload a modified theme, only including the default launcher. Open the .zip folder inside it go into the folders and edit the .pngs for the handle. They are named accordingly, there are quite a few of them though because of the various states of the app drawer. I also left the ic_launcher_folder files so you can edit the folder looks. I removed everything else it would potentially theme. You can make the launcher look like whatever. The one I included is a smoked glass look with the word DROID written on it. Keep the names, as they are important. *Edit* Also, included are the arrows and trashcan of the launcher, you can make them transparent if they conflict with your them idea. They are Expand/collapse and delete. I believe they are themed to be transparent with this launcher already.

Next step would be to install it via metamorph, which there are quite a few guides on how to go about doing that if you browse around. Create a backup prior to theming just incase you don't like the look, or something goes wrong.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  5. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

Thanks for the directions, but I figured out how to edit the Launcher.apk and set it up through Root Explorer without needing Metamorph. I'll attach what I made in case anyone else wants them :) I also made the landscape view ones.
  6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Opal,

If you are willing to expound on they way you did it, would you do so. I am mostly interested in the generic steps (I can figure the keystrokes).

I am thinking, pull the apk file. Unzip. Edit. rezip. Push back to the phone. What I am confused about is whether you had to sign the apk file.
    And, I have root explorer, adb, sufbs, amd astro to piddle with, so I should have the tools, just needing a more general understanding of the steps.

Thanks,

Craig
  7. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

Use 7-zip to open the Launcher.apk file. Make/edit the png files (in the res\drawable-hdpi folder) and then drag them back into the folder in 7-zip. Put the Launcher.apk file back into system/apps and set the permissions to
    XXO
    XOO
    XOO
    (long press to access permissions)
    then reboot the phone.
  8. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Opal,

Thank you. I did find those steps in another thread of yours, after I asked (of course). What is confusing me with some of this stuff is what apk's can be altered without having to resign the app. You confirmed that it is not necessary here. Thank you again,

Craig
  9. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

In theory all apks can be altered without resigning them if you push them to the /system/apps/ folder and give them the correct permissions. All apps already in the system folder you shouldn't have to resign, just push them back to the system folder. But the market apps, and self installed apps that are in the data folder, will not work in the data folder.

Pay attention though because the system partition can fill up rather quick if you theme a lot of things, especially if they are large.
  10. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Cup,

Thank you for that description. That is the most I have seen to date explaining signing of apps. I thought it was mostly market, because of market and dev. "rights", but it tends to make sense that it is location driven, system v. data.

The other part of my confusion is related to mixed results upon trying to install. Sometime astro will work, sometimes root explorer, sometimes adb, sometime Better Terminal. I guess if someone can confrim that "adb install xxx.apk /system/app" should always work with a proper chmod, perhaps I will just go that route. Right now I flounder with copying to sd, root explorer to system/app, chmodding, then sometimes trying the astro install or root explorer install on top of that. I still see a lot of "application did not install" using these other methods.

Craig