Can I do a nandroid full restore on replacement phone?

rda990

Reaction score
I just got sent a replacement droid from verizon since my current droids charging port is broken/not working at times.Right now its rooted 2.0.1 and I will make a full nandroid backup and was wondering if I can fully restore it on the replacement phone.Obviously I would have to downgrade (if it has 2.1/2.2) and root it and install SPRecovery so I can restore it,but since it is an exact backup/copy of the old phone wouldn't that mean it copied the MEID of the old phone?and will be restoring it on the replacement one??

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

J

Johnly

If the recovery image is correct and the file is on you SD card, sure, why not?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea most backups are data and cache so it should work fine

would not have copied MEID

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
Yeah I know it would work I'm just wondering if it will copy the MEID,the MEID is like a unique code for every phone that identifies it,if it has the old MEID, the phone wouldn't be able to be programed since verizon deleted it.

And since I'm doing a FULL backup/restore I'm selecting "BOOT,CACHE,DATA,MISC,RECOVERY,and SYSTEM" to backup and restore so I'm not sure in which orbit the MEID would be saved.

megaerairae

Reaction score
Fully awesome. I was just wondering the same thing since my power button just ceased to be pushable today. I think I'll flash back to stock before taking it in to the Verizon store, but the thought of redoing every single thing I have modded on this phone was making me question taking it in at all.

Many thanks!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMO no. Someone can correct me if I'm incorrect, but the MEID is a hard coded number in the hardware itself, which is why they have stickers for that information besides aving it obtainable on the phone. It's not part of the OS itself. But the OS can read it.

Similar to a MAC addy on network hardware...

J

Johnly

IMO no. Someone can correct me if I'm incorrect, but the MEID is a hard coded number in the hardware itself, which is why they have stickers for that information besides aving it obtainable on the phone. It's not part of the OS itself. But the OS can read it.

Exactly.

The issue is going from an ESN to a MEID. Are you guessing or do you know?

This thread isn't for opinions, people need facts.

bentley789

Reaction score
I can confirm this works. I just got a replacement phone for the power nutton issue. I activated it as normal, then did a advance nadroid restore. Every worked fine.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also, no need to downgrade anymore to root!

Link 2 in my sig now has a new SPR.sbf that can be flashed over ANY android OS. Then you can just install any 2.2 Rom to gain root!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

Exactly.

Thanks.

OP didn't mention an ESN, just Droid to Droid ... Going from an ESN to MEID may not work, as all Droids began with MEID anyways. For phones that had the old ESN, the carrier uses a DB that holds assigned MEID's to those older ESN's.

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
Also, no need to downgrade anymore to root!

Link 2 in my sig now has a new SPR.sbf that can be flashed over ANY android OS. Then you can just install any 2.2 Rom to gain root!

Thanks,but im still going to have to go back to 2.0.1 since that is what my original backup is of =/

Exactly.

Thanks.

OP didn't mention an ESN, just Droid to Droid ... Going from an ESN to MEID may not work, as all Droids began with MEID anyways. For phones that had the old ESN, the carrier uses a DB that holds assigned MEID's to those older ESN's.

??Why is ESN mentioned here?Doesnt the Droid only have MEID?? Before i got the Droid i had some Lg's (Voyager and enV Touch) i would mess around with them and make backups/clones of them.When it was time to restore on another replacement device,it would restore EVERYTHING aka cloning it,including the ESN of the original,which was sometimes a mistake.Once you get a replacement,verizon "blacklists" the old ESN so it cannot be activated/used anymore.In this case since im getting a replacement they would be blacklisting the old MEID from the Droid i am sending.That is why i hope the MEID doesnt get copied over =/

jaydoubledub

Reaction score
as another testament... YES you can restore a Nandroid backup to a new/replacement D1. I did this today actually, and it saved me a TON of hassle on restoring apps and whatnot. Just to be specific, make sure it's an original Moto Droid to original Moto Droid and you will be fine. The only issue I can think of that MAY happen, is the kernel. Often times one kernel will work on a phone that will not work on another one, of the same model. (This was/is not an issue I encountered, I'm just giving a possibility that could happen) If it's "glitchy" then try a different kernel before the reflash and wipe. :)
Hope it helps!

Last edited:

jaydoubledub

Reaction score
??Why is ESN mentioned here?Doesnt the Droid only have MEID?? Before i got the Droid i had some Lg's (Voyager and enV Touch) i would mess around with them and make backups/clones of them.When it was time to restore on another replacement device,it would restore EVERYTHING aka cloning it,including the ESN of the original,which was sometimes a mistake.Once you get a replacement,verizon "blacklists" the old ESN so it cannot be activated/used anymore.In this case since im getting a replacement they would be blacklisting the old MEID from the Droid i am sending.That is why i hope the MEID doesnt get copied over =/

I get what you're saying... However, I noticed that immediately after activating my replacement Droid that the one to be returned has no more of a connection. I verified this after I activated the replacement, slapped the battery in the "old" one and turned it on, to verify it's "stock status". When I did that, I found the lil triangle thing at the top and no network connection. Thus the "old" phone was deacttivated aka "blacklisted" on Verizon's side. My replacement phone, if the ESN issue existed with the D1, should have been deactivated by this time. And it's working like a champ! lol
I just figured I would give some more input :)

EDIT: A step that could have saved me 5 mins of typing was to do the *#06# on the dialer and verify the MEID that it displays, with the MEID under the battery. Exact match. :/ haha!

Last edited: