Can I disable the update?

SJsRazr

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat.
For the last few days at approx. 7:25am my phone wants to do the ICS update, the screen comes on and I have 30 seconds to select later. I do not want to update yet, can I disable the auto update? I am afraid I will miss it one morning and it will update on its own.
I don't think it is right that I have 30 seconds to decide or else it will do it anyway, what if my battery is low? And what if I just don't want to?
Thank you:confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sorry if this is a repeat.
For the last few days at approx. 7:25am my phone wants to do the ICS update, the screen comes on and I have 30 seconds to select later. I do not want to update yet, can I disable the auto update? I am afraid I will miss it one morning and it will update on its own.
I don't think it is right that I have 30 seconds to decide or else it will do it anyway, what if my battery is low? And what if I just don't want to?
Thank you:confused:

If you are rooted and use Titanium Backup you can freeze the updater.apk app and then it won't try and do the update anymore. Then you can boot into recovery and clear the cache to make sure the download is removed from your phone.

To boot into recovery power off the phone, hold the volume up and down at the same time then the power button, volume to to recovery and volume up to select it, once you see the Android guy press both the volume up and down and then scroll down to wipe cache. Once that is done reboot and you should be good.

OP
S

SJsRazr

Reaction score
I am not rooted :(

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
SJsRazr said:

Then no I do not know of a way to stop it, unless you clear the cache still and then change under data for social applications to sync over wifi only.

At least then it won't try to pull the download when you are not connected to wifi. Course if you connect to wifi at home then that won't work.

Depends on how bad you don't want the update.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

As Sydman has already said, you'll need to root in order to permanently stop it. So, you have to decide what you want to do - accept the update or root.