Can I change what button turns the screen on and off?

fingaz

Reaction score
Is there a way to change what the hard keys do... Specifically the red "end" key. I find it quite annoying sometimes having the end key being the same key that turns on or off the screen.

I don' t know if you guys have ever had this problem... (or even noticed it). When on a call, if you put the phone up to your ear, the screen automatically shuts off. When you take it away from your ear and hold it to look at the screen, the screen automatically turns back on so you can read what is on the screen. Pretty cool little feature!

However, I have noticed, that sometimes, the screen doesn't turn back on OR if I do not hold the phone at the correct angle, the screen won't turn back on when I want it to.

Now.. if this happens and the screen is off, you naturally press the red "end" button to turn the screen back on. But, if you are in a call........ this will not only turn the screen on, but will also end the call.

Is there anyway around this. Is there a way that I can turn the screen on without pressing the end key and ending my call?

I really never ever use the end key to hang up... I find that it is usually easier to just wait for the other person to hang up or just push the "End Call" soft button on screen. If I push the end key, I'll push the key right after the other person hangs up.. and then i end up turning my screen off. or I push it too many times and the screen turns off then on.. going back to the slide to unlock screen... or something. Needless to say... I find it very annoying that the end key is the same key that turns the screen off.

I was wondering if there was a way to change the button to turn the screen on and off to maybe....... the magnifying glass (search button) I have had the phone a month and haven't used that button yet.

Has anyone else found it annoying to have the end key be the same key that turns the screen off? Suggestions.. Comments... Questions???? Let me know if i need to explain this better.

OP
F

fingaz

Reaction score
So I tried pressing the trackball during a call... this only works if you press and hold the trackball and it only works sometimes. Could not turn the screen on when I was in a call last night... even when I pressed the trackball.

Has anyone else tried this? Does it work all the time for other people?!?!

droidfreek

Reaction score
yeah I use the trackball too cause I was having the same issues.... trackball works for me...