Can GPS be toggled on and off?

Padawan

Reaction score
Just got my new Turbo and noticed that there doesn't seem to be a way to toggle GPS on and off? This can't be right but maybe it is?

Any insight is appreciated,
Padawan :)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Pull down notification bar... But the icon in the upper right. Long press location. That will turn it off. To change location settings just quick press it and go from there.

OP
P

Padawan

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. Following your instructions appears to fully disable all location services which is not what I want. Is there a way to disable GPS without disabling basic location services?

OP
P

Padawan

Reaction score
They may very well be but on my Maxx HD, basic location and GPS appeared to be two different services both of which could be toggled. If I tried using Google Maps without GPS, Google Maps showed the general vicinity of my location. It wasn't until I enabled GPS that my location became pinpointed.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Because location services used to use tower triangulation. Not sure if they do now, to some capacity I am sure it helps. WiFi geo location is also used if I am not mistaken.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The phone will geo locate based on cell towers with GPS off but that is frequently very inaccurate depending on your location and the location of the towers.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I wasn't sure they still did that. Thanks!