Can Devs Port DX ROMs for the D2???

trook

Reaction score
I Run Fission. Fission is an excellent ROM and i can't say enough good things about what its done for my Droid 2. But, hardcore droid folks like hacking phones and running roms by nature, (and believe me I've ran ALL 2 or 3 of the availible ROM's) and we've hit a wall.

But When I look at the whole 2 or 3 D2 roms availible to us, most of the time there is a Download link for the D2 and a link for the DX.
The DX has 5 times more ROMs than we do but when I see the download links for the DX roms in the DX section.... there are no links for the D2:(

I'm just wondering why? Is the D2 harder to develop for? Are the DX ROM's compatible with our droid 2's with a little tweaking? I thought they were basically the same device internally.....

This is NOT a complaint I'm just looking for any info, reasons, rumors, heresay, or at least a conspiracy theory. Hey, maybe I'll call that governer guy that does the conspiracy show and have him look into it.

ultima

Reaction score
i would like to know this as well...bc isnt the D2 basically a smaller DX w/ keyboard?

romanrish

Reaction score
Yes this is possible. The core features for both devices will be retained. There is someone that is this this already. P3droid does it with the tranquility ROM which I find to be a fantastic ROM for the D2. The thing is the dev(s) have to have both devices to do the port. There are minimal differences in the ROMs but not as far as function. The Team Black Hat is the only group that I know actively does this.

mjones1052

Reaction score
This is because the 2 devices launched so close together I think most people got the DX, and the D2 kinda fell to the side. And now when ROM's are made it's mainly for the DX, but yes, essentially they are the same, but the boards are still different and they require porting, which can be done, the dev just has to do it, and most only have the DX and can't or don't want a D2 to develop with because the X is their primary phone. Plus, the fact they already replaced the D2 with the D2G and now the DP, it's crazy to keep up with, especially for a phone that was really only sold for about 2 months.