Can anyone tell me WHY...

shane1v

Reaction score
...they choose to not have Speed Dial? it's a basic phone function on EVERY other phone on the planet. AND they have it enabled on the 1 "button" to call voicemail!! WHY did they go this route???

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Well, speaking for myself, it'd be a pain in the butt to slide out the keyboard or do the number pad->long press on 1, or something similar. I've created direct dial links for the numbers I call most often and put them on a separate screen. I've put enough physical distance between the icons I can dial them without even looking at the phone.

OP
S

shane1v

Reaction score
Well, speaking for myself, it'd be a pain in the butt to slide out the keyboard or do the number pad->long press on 1, or something similar. I've created direct dial links for the numbers I call most often and put them on a separate screen. I've put enough physical distance between the icons I can dial them without even looking at the phone.

I have a workaround- "direct dials" in a folder...

I want to know WHY they chose to remove a basic cell phone convenience.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
It's hard to second guess design decisions but I suspect it has to do with the physical design of the phone i.e., there is no readily accessible keypad on which to long press a number for speed dial.

If I recall correctly (it's been a while since I used it) the iPhone also doesn't have speed dial, probably for the same reason.

A

apeshitninja

It's hard to second guess design decisions but I suspect it has to do with the physical design of the phone i.e., there is no readily accessible keypad on which to long press a number for speed dial.

If I recall correctly (it's been a while since I used it) the iPhone also doesn't have speed dial, probably for the same reason.

This. I haven't really missed speed dial since I can easily create shortcuts and access my contacts. You have a point that it's a feature found on most basic phones, but this isn't your basic phone. You'd still have to click the 'phone' icon, then hit a number key, then Dial or something similar. I would guess that the Google developers figured since that would be 3 clicks anyway, it's much easier to just allow you to create a shortcut you can get to with one or two clicks. Not to mention you have the option use voice dialing.

Then again, that's just a guess.

m3kilpat

Reaction score
Favorites is essentially the same thing as speed dial. You wouldn't have more than 10 people on speed dial most likely so when looking at a list of 10 numbers it isn't hard to find someone.

raven1911

Reaction score
Yup, I just use favorites for all my commons calls. Works great!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Again... WHY need an app for a basic function??
Why do you think everyone wants what you specifically want? Consider that you can modify the Droid in this and many, many other ways. That's one of the major points of the Droid, IMO.

JayMonster

Reaction score
As others have said, using favorites with Contacts (something that is not available or convoluted on a "basic" phone) is a better way. Yes, I understand that old habits die hard, but there are better ways on a smart phone to reach the same end.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
Ya'll use your fingers to dial numbers?!!

I just hit the microphone and say "Call George Washington" or whoever. and the phone does the rest. I might have to select which number i want if the contact has multiple #'s.

raqiib

Reaction score
i just put my "speed" contacts on another window panel like the widget icons...."speedy" enough for me...

bullhonkie

Reaction score
I don't miss speed dial one bit. I'm actually glad it's gone. You don't have to try and remember who was assigned to what number. I say embrace the change. This is not your basic phone so no need to use it like one.

Favorites list under contacts/phone and/or direct calling shortcuts work just as well in my opinion. There's also the option of voice command calling as mentioned. Any of those three options should be an easy replacement for speed dial.

GotnFX

Reaction score
using microphone icon for phone calls

Ya'll use your fingers to dial numbers?!!

I just hit the microphone and say "Call George Washington" or whoever. and the phone does the rest. I might have to select which number i want if the contact has multiple #'s.

You know if you say "call GW cellphone" it will call his cellphone. No need to worry about selecting a specific phone number