Can anyone help?!! Files are gone

MAzing87

Reaction score
I did a factory data reset and accidentally checked on the erase internal data option. I thought it meant to erase internal files from my phone but it deleted many many pix/vids and other files on my SD card. The only files I have left is the ones I backed up months ago. But the more recent files aren't there. I thought the backup assistant kicked in on its own as I set a time to back up files automatically at night when Im not using the phone and my wifi is on. That never happened.

Is there any possibility to reclaim these files? Any responses would be greatly appreciated!!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I am sorry you are having troubles, I am pretty sure that stuff is gone though. Just like formatting your hard drive on your computer, I hope I am wrong but don't think so.

OP
MAzing87

MAzing87

Reaction score
I am still hoping. I did the fdr so that the phone was more stable post ICS. I didnt think I was going to wipe my files from my SD card.

huskur

Reaction score
Sorry. They are long gone. In the future, I recommend dropbox from the play store. It will back all your video and pictures and other various files daily.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Seems like i once read that there was a way, but i have no information for you. I am sorry for you. I have always taken my sd card out during a FDR because i was paranoid this would happen.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is another example of how confusing the "sdcard" versus "sdcard-ext" is to people. It's a shame, but it certainly deserves to be revisited again. Folks, there are TWO (2) SD Cards in your Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX phones. ONE ("sdcard" as listed on the directory hierarchy), is permanently affixed to the motherboard, so it is considered "internal storage", even though it is truly an SD Card from the manufacturer's perspective. See below:

Well, technically it IS an SD Card... See below:

The Chip above on the left is the Toshiba THGBM4G7D2GBAIE
16GB EMMC Flash Memory (AKA SD Card).

Here's a different version of our phones (below) and they've replaced the Toshiba with a

SanDisk SDIN5C1-16G NAND flash (again, AKA SD Card).

The OTHER ("sdcard-ext" in directory hierarchy), is the removable MicroSDHC Card we are most familiar with.

Why they decided to use several different naming conventions to describe these two memory storage areas is beyond me, but it simply adds to the confusion. Just remember, anything that is saved automatically to your phone, unless you've specified otherwise is going to the "Internal Storage", AKA "sdcard", the one in the pictures above. If you wipe the phone and select to wipe internal memory, you are erasing the SD Cards on the motherboard in the pictures above.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Mazing, please let us know if you were able to recover any of the items. I assumed after a format that they would be gone forever. I'm really interested to know if those links help you out that Huskur found! GL

joshxdroid

Reaction score
As a note to what foxcat just shared, it only takes a couple clicks to move pictures, music, and videos from the internal storage "sd card" to the true sd card/removable starage by going into the phones memory settings.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
As a note to what foxcat just shared, it only takes a couple clicks to move pictures, music, and videos from the internal storage "sd card" to the true sd card/removable starage by going into the phones memory settings.

Great point, and I'm sorry I didn't mention it. I guess that's what I have joshxdroid here for!! :hail:

JRParsons

Reaction score
Although I don't know of any way to recover them from the phone, if you put the card in your computer there are various file recovery programs available, I have used them with mixed results. Good luck.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Although I don't know of any way to recover them from the phone, if you put the card in your computer there are various file recovery programs available, I have used them with mixed results. Good luck.

That suggestion would work if the files were on the Removable (external) SD Card, but unfortunately as my post above depicted, the "SD Card" that was wiped and originally contained the personal data is the non-removable "internal storage", SD Card which is soldered to the motherboard of the phone (see my post a few above).

OP
MAzing87

MAzing87

Reaction score
Thank you all who responded. The info you guys provided is a start and I will update you to know if any of them work. Wish me luck.