Can anyone explain the difference between different Terminal Emulators?

Mojo

Reaction score
I have read several tutorials that say to use "Android Terminal Emulator" by Jack Palevich. Which is free (great price). What is the difference of using that one vs. using Better Terminal Emulator vs. the next one... Why do most say to use Jack's TE? Does his do something that the others do not? Thanks in advance..

qoncept

Reaction score
Jack Palevich's terminal emulator is about as basic as it gets, and I can't imagine any reason for using it over Better Terminal Emulator except the fact that it's free. It works fine, but Better Terminal is definitely better.

I use Better because it supports d-pad arrow key emulation (left and right to move cursor, up will bring up the previous line) and cut and paste -- except I haven't figured out how to cut and paste yet.

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
Okay cool....thats what I thought. I use better TE too. But I just saw some people saying to use Jacks and wanted to make sure that it did not do something that BTE did not. Thanks for the reply

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The reason is this. In the Market there are two TE apps. One is junk and the other one is the one you are talking about.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What I meant is this. Two TE apps about the same (Android Terminal Emulator and Terminal Emulator)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've got rhe Android Terminal Emulator. Anyone know how to send it a pipe symbol? Can you do that with the Better TE? And I definitely have missed not being able to up-arrow my last command for editing. BTE might be my next purchase.