Can an older man learn a virtual keyboard?

BRAINFIRE

Reaction score
I have a droid2. How hard would it be for me to get good
with an on screen keyboard? Hate to give up my qwerty,
but I'd love an X.

Beka27

Reaction score
Do you use the online keyboard on your D2 at all now? I would say it took me a good week to get comfortable and quick on my X using swype. My recommendation would be to try and forget you have a slide-out kb... And strictly use the virtual kb. You don't have the benefit of the 4.3 inch screen of course, but I bet you can get used to it.

(from Beka's DX)

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
At first I wasn't sure about using the onscreen keyboard on my Droid 2 global. But after messing with it I actually like using it. Just practice with it and you'll be burning fast

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

wyld

Reaction score
I went from a Droid 1 to a Droid x I prefer the on screen KB and i type alot faster even and can change the skins on KB from market apps

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

wyld

Reaction score

wyld

Reaction score
Ok lol

pool_shark

Reaction score
There is no learning curve, it just doesn't have physical keys, the keys are still in the same place.
I didn't have a problem switching from my D2 to the DX, I'm 42.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure how old you are sir, but I was 48 when I got a Blackberry Storm and it was my first virtual keyboard only. I loved it from the start. Now two android phones later, I still only use virtual keyboard, and in fact learned how to use Swype on my Droid 1, and won't use anything besides Swype now. You want to get comfortable with virtual keyboards first most likely, but then give Swype a try.

wyld

Reaction score
I don't like swipe! I actually use the talk to text mostly! Lol

cece5702

Reaction score
You will be just fine with the Droid X. The keyboard on the X is so nice and the keys are large! I love the X and now looking forward to the X2. :)
I have a droid2. How hard would it be for me to get good
with an on screen keyboard? Hate to give up my qwerty,
but I'd love an X.

Beka27

Reaction score
^^^Talk to text is sweet too! I will use that if I'm sitting at a red light (bad I know... but at least I'm not "texting"!)

I am 27. My X was my first smartphone. I came from an EnV2 which had the flip open Qwerty keyboard... and I was pretty dead set against a virtual kb because my husband (oh yeah, I'm a chick too... lol!) had the Dare and the touchscreen... frankly... sucks. But I had the opportunity to play around with the X and so we got them and haven't looked back since.

I rarely use landscape mode b/c I feel the kb is just too big. IMO, the virtual kb is big enough on portrait. I can comfortably hold my X in my right hand and swype out long detailed massages with my thumb. On my physical kb, it required two thumbs working together, and I'm still faster now...

wyld

Reaction score
I also have the lg dare before my droid 1 The on screen keyboard for the dare was way too small I'm a driver by trade talk to text works great for me lol