Can an inactive Droid X be used for something?

SeattleUser

Reaction score
My wife was using a Droid X and recently got a RAZR. I prefer to use my dumb phone for regular use. Can I use use this Droid X for anything without cell service? I'm considering activating the phone on our family plan just so that I could do some web surfing at work and not go through the company internet. Do I need to activate it before I can find out if the stock broker's apps will work on it? Can apps be loaded from my PC? Thanks for any help.

wcjeep

Reaction score
The DX will still work with her login credentials on wifi. You still have full access to the Google Play Store. It will still play music, stream thru bluetooth and watch movies. I reset one of our old DX, loaded some movies, music and games for my 7yr old dauther. She was constantly borrowing my Nexus. Now she has her own droid. Thru wifi, you can update to latest Google Maps. Then download offline maps for rudimentary GPS. Don't forget to turn on Standalone GPS.

You can reset the phone without authenticating thru 3G. It involves touching all four corners.

OP
S

SeattleUser

Reaction score
The DX will still work with her login credentials on wifi. You still have full access to the Google Play Store. It will still play music, stream thru bluetooth and watch movies. I reset one of our old DX, loaded some movies, music and games for my 7yr old dauther. She was constantly borrowing my Nexus. Now she has her own droid. Thru wifi, you can update to latest Google Maps. Then download offline maps for rudimentary GPS. Don't forget to turn on Standalone GPS.

You can reset the phone without authenticating thru 3G. It involves touching all four corners.

Thanks for the info. I did figure out how to set it to wifi mode. My wife didn't have a Google account set up. I'll try to set one up for myself.

Do I have to have phone service to download apps from the app store?

wcjeep

Reaction score
No cell service required. You can also use the amazon market. Most usually use the Google play store.

Natey2

Reaction score
You should be able to make and receive phonecalls too.
Google Voice + GrooVe IP app + WiFi.
I do that with my WiFi-only tablet.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

ktmoutlaw

Reaction score
Stream through blue tooth without being on a network ? Now I am interested.... Can we discuss this more in detail in this thread or is it time for a pm? I have old DX that I would like to use to run torque app on car and to store/run sling box player via dish network any thoughts

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
To be clear. You will need wifi to stream Pandora, YouTube, etc. The phone will stream stored content over Bluetooth without internet access. I've used Bluetooth only to stream music from my old DX to my stock Honda stereo and wife's aftermarket Alpine.

ktmoutlaw

Reaction score
What if I had foxfi app will DX surf web off of that signal?

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
Yes, foxfi from an operational.smartphone would allow the DX internet access.

Thisdoesfine

Reaction score
I think this is an excellent topic! I recently upgraded to the S3 and want to use my X to be a little more rough than I was when it was my primary phone. What I would like to know is... I'm on .621 rooted via rootkeeper... I'd like to do a factory reset but keep root. Is that possible or should I just go through and un-install apps I don't want?