Can a rooted Xoom use wifi without 3G connection?

Frankiebonez

Reaction score
From what I have gathered is you need 3g enabled to use WIFI on the Xoom, which is completely ruining me and is the sole reason I havent purchased one. If you root the Xoom, can you use the wifi without setting up a 3g data plan?

Any help would be great! I WANT ONE!!!!

WillC

Reaction score
From what I have gathered is you need 3g enabled to use WIFI on the Xoom, which is completely ruining me and is the sole reason I havent purchased one. If you root the Xoom, can you use the wifi without setting up a 3g data plan?

Any help would be great! I WANT ONE!!!!

You do not have to enable 3G in order to use WiFi. And rooting is not required.
But if you want the cost of the Xoom subsidized you'll have to subscribe to at least the $20/1Gb data plan.

OP
F

Frankiebonez

Reaction score
Really!? Originally you did right, or at least thats what was reported or am I nuts? lmao!

I'm going to buy one right now, thanks!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
why would u need 3g to use wifi? i highly doubt its like this.

WillC

Reaction score
Really!? Originally you did right, or at least thats what was reported or am I nuts? lmao!

You're not nuts. Originally it was reported that Verizon would require at least a one month data subscription in order to enable the WiFi but that was changed before launch.
You can buy the Xoom without a data package and pay the full price of $800 or subscribe to a data plan and pay $600. Data plans start at $20 per month for 1Gb.

OP
F

Frankiebonez

Reaction score
I love it! Really great device, I'm glad I held out for the Xoom instead of the Galaxy. I think Motorola needs to market this device better and let people know you dont need a 3G plan. I know of several people who thought you needed a plan and its the sole reason they arent purchasing one of these.

Elysian

Reaction score

You're not nuts. Originally it was reported that Verizon would require at least a one month data subscription in order to enable the WiFi but that was changed before launch.
You can buy the Xoom without a data package and pay the full price of $800 or subscribe to a data plan and pay $600. Data plans start at $20 per month for 1Gb.

Changed before launch? More like it was never true.

WillC

Reaction score

Changed before launch? More like it was never true.

I thought I'd read an article on broadbandreports.com that said the plan had actually been considered based upon some leaked document. But then again, so much was written on the subject and there was so much speculation it was hard to seperate the truth from the FUD. My apologies if I was incorrect.

By the way, I'm in Plano too.

jfourman

Reaction score
It was only "true" on launch day and only at Best Buy...were I bought mine in the first hour. Xooms at the Verizon stores were sold from the beginning without requiring a data plan. By the second day of sales, Best Buy also dropped the requirement. I fully intended to drop the 1GB plan after the first month; but now I have been using it on 3G so much, I am going to continue the plan and probably will even need to upgrade the plan. I know I could tether using my OG Droid (bluetooth tether); but the convenience of a constant and readily available connection will tempt me to continue the plan. I am glad that the 4G plan will not require an increase in price.

Elysian

Reaction score
It was only "true" on launch day and only at Best Buy...were I bought mine in the first hour. Xooms at the Verizon stores were sold from the beginning without requiring a data plan. By the second day of sales, Best Buy also dropped the requirement. I fully intended to drop the 1GB plan after the first month; but now I have been using it on 3G so much, I am going to continue the plan and probably will even need to upgrade the plan. I know I could tether using my OG Droid (bluetooth tether); but the convenience of a constant and readily available connection will tempt me to continue the plan. I am glad that the 4G plan will not require an increase in price.

Having data or not still had no bearing on whether the WiFi worked, so the rumor was never true about WiFi being locked. From first boot you could skip the Verizon setup and do it all on WiFi, I guarantee they didn't push an update before launch to all Xooms to make that so.

Miraval

Reaction score
Greetings...if I had a Xoom wi-fi only unit, what is required to add 3g from Verizon at a later date? Is it simply going into the store, them adding service to the device and walking out?

Looking for pros/cons of a wi-fi only unit to start ... from this pool of experienced users....thanks in advance!

cloudman7

Reaction score
You don't need to get a data plan but then u pay full retail like I did for 800 but they now make WiFi only that run 600 that will hit wal mart bestbuy and other retailers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums