camera zoom fx is just frickin awesome

tmiles

Reaction score
I must be an idiot but I just downloaded this and can not get the flash to work at all, what am I missing? Thanks

MAzing87

Reaction score
Kind of agree on the restrictions of low light - no camera app is going to do that for you - its a hardware issue.

But why would you guys refund a camera app that gives you all these features (taken from Androidslide website) :

Camera ZOOM FX | androidslide

bullet.gif
40 photo fx! (pencil, fisheye, filmreel, etc.)
bullet.gif
circular zoom wheel (6x zoom)
bullet.gif
upscale zoomed images
bullet.gif
tap screen to snap shot
bullet.gif
timer + sound effect
bullet.gif
auto focus on / off
bullet.gif
burst mode up to 16 shots
bullet.gif
photo booth = quad camera!
bullet.gif
stable shot including stability meter
bullet.gif
sound activate
bullet.gif
props, borders and famous ‘buddies’ in your pictures
bullet.gif
customizable grid overlays
bullet.gif
whitebalance
bullet.gif
nightshot
bullet.gif
geotag
bullet.gif
customize every hardware button
bullet.gif
send, share
bullet.gif
1-click upload facebook, twitter, myspace
bullet.gif
built for Donut
bullet.gif
silent mode
bullet.gif
antibanding (for TV / computer monitors)
bullet.gif
auto save option
bullet.gif
digi composites
Those are great features, no doubt about it. But they feel rather useless if the pics all come out the same. Maybe I missed out doing something. All the pix I took was in low lit or dark conditions. I wanted to see which app can capture accurate clear shots in these conditions. They all looked and felt the same even when I played around with the settings.

gauge

Reaction score
OK I download this app yesterday and I love it so far. Except today I took a pic in a semi dark room and guess what I got a dark pic. The flash went off but it almost like I had no flash. Any ideas?

Chris1

Reaction score
just picked up a new update. it seems to give a few more flash options like auto flash which works better.

also has added scene modes like night mode so probably worth looking at these too.

i had an iphone before this and this app is actually better than any of the iphone camera apps i saw including camera bag etc.

MAzing87

Reaction score
OK I download this app yesterday and I love it so far. Except today I took a pic in a semi dark room and guess what I got a dark pic. The flash went off but it almost like I had no flash. Any ideas?

Not too surprising.

I'm subscribed to this thread, so I'm waiting for that one post that tells us the app has improved taking pictures in low lit conditions. To all that have the app, enjoy. Take some pics and post. :)

Chris1

Reaction score
Getting better pics with the new update - the after picture looks more like the one with the flash rather than before the flash.

Its also proving to be a very fun camera - my daughter is obsessed with the mirror camera modes - taking pictures of the dog with 2 heads!

Artis

Reaction score
Zoom FX is fantastic, cut-n-pasting what I sent to a friend & other forum:

I love my new Droid, but I was quite dejected about it's camera. I have always valued having a good quality camera built in to my phone, just to be able to take at least somewhat decent photos at all times. (My previous phone was a Sony-Ericsson c905).

Go dld the camera "Zoom FX" for your Droid for $1.99. Make sure to spend the time changing all the settings, most importantly changing to autofocus (infinity by default), and turn on simple stabilization @ 0.5 seconds. It is like buying a new camera for your droid for 2 bucks, no joke. Also make sure to dld all the free add on packages, which do amazing things, and there are a ton of them, maybe 20 or more.

It isn't as good as the c905 still, but it is a DRAMATIC improvement.

Artis
ABS Bumper Fillers Body Extensions Body Fillers Bumper Extensions Aftermarket Panels
ABS Bumper Fillers Body Extensions Body Fillers Bumper Extensions Aftermarket Panels
BADAZZBIKES.COM: Fairings & Bodywork for CBR 900rr Hayabusa GSXR 600 GSXR 750 GSXR 1000 and other sportbikes from Honda & Suzuki more coming soon.

Chris1

Reaction score
The new update seems a lot faster too - definitely the best camera app for Droid at the moment!

Chris1

Reaction score
loving this so far ... has anyone figured out how to get dated photos in this app? as in drawing the date and time in the corner of the photo itself.

can't see anything in settings - i think this would be a really nice feature

Jonno67

Reaction score
the closest i can find is if you take a polaroid picture - it can add the date for you - agree it would be nice to see this for regular pics

Shanged

Reaction score
low light and droid camera
I don't think it's true to say all cell phone cameras are useless in low light. My friend took a photo at night of our campus with his iphone, lit by christmas lights and flood lights. It came out very nicely (I am sure it was grainy as anything but at least you could see something). I have also taken quite ok photos with my sony 810i in low light.
I tried the same with my droid and all I got was black with a few pin pricks of light. It was like it was exposing for the brightest areas rather than the darkest or even the average. I know it can get more information if it was to expose correctly because sometimes I can trick it and get it to expose correctly albeit briefly. How there is not brightness/exposure control in the standard app I just don't know.
How hard is it really to make an app that is at least as good as the iphone. How about tap to focus that would be great, maybe tap to expose too...
My LG Dare had this. It was the best camera feature to have in my opinion. Camera Zoom features are all great but when the pictures all come out the same, it's no point to carry them. :mad:

I was really happy with my LG Dare's camera as well. It was quick, took decent low light pictures and, most importantly, it was quick. I was embarrassed when I was comparing my camera to my buddy's iphone yesterday. He just opened up the app, snapped a pick and had a menu up to send it any which way (facebook, sms, etc.) before my app was open.

Maybe I should look at this app..

SarahP

Reaction score
It uses ping.fm to upload your pics so you just set up which networks you want to upload to online like flickr, facebook, twitter - then straight after you take the picture, you just hit upload and its done!
iphone users could become a dying breed ...

Psychokitty

Reaction score
I've been very disappointed with my purchase of Camera Zoom. I figure I must not be using it correctly or something, so I searched here. It seems to take forever to even take a photo, and the quality is no better than stock.
The camera hardware in the Droid may be limited, but automated software is ALWAYS going to be far more limited; so much so that none that is developed will ever be able to do the hardware justice.
Honestly, for anything better than "fair" shots, what we really need is the ability to take shots in .raw and resign ourselves to using software on our computers to develop those shots. In that case, the hardware could be used to it's fullest potential & speed, and the photos could actually be quite stunning.
Not quite the "point & shoot" application everyone wants in a phone camera, but there are some instances I think we all might find ourselves in sooner or later where it would be nice to have the option to develop fantastic shots of something we capture, even if it means more work on our computers.

Chris1

Reaction score
Shouldn't take any longer than stock - 5mp capture is quite slow on all the camera apps I've tested - maybe try capturing with a lower resolution if this is an issue.

Regards quality, I have had some really great pics on Camera Zoom - they are part of the zoomFX Flickr pool to give you an idea :
Flickr: Camera ZOOM FX

I agree the raw option would be pretty cool - you can save as 100% jpeg's though - not tried it myself.

Psychokitty

Reaction score
Well, it certainly is capable, according to this thread and those photos.
I'll tone down the MP count and see what I get.