Camera sucks!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its a smartphone, not a phone.

And yet the iPhone, which everyone is quick to attack...can snap pics instantly with great quality.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Bottom line is there is something that you can nitpick on EVERY device. Whats important are what features are important to you and what YOUR specific needs are. I'm not a big spontaneous picture taker, and a 2-3 second delay doesn't really bother me much. Most digital camera's take a second or two from the button press, the only "instant" camera I've ever used that took anything near a respectable photo was the iPhone. I use my camera so little, it really doesn't matter to me, and when I do, it's usually planned, so a 2-3 second pause to focus and flash is not a big deal to me, so I'll take all the other pluses this phone has OVER the iPhone. Like I said, there will always be something to nit pick.

Then the manufacturer (MOTOSUCK) needs to quit hyping the cameras as great. 8 MP is supposed to be cool, but my 7 year old Kodak 3.1 MP camera takes better pictures than my DROID X with an 8 MP camera.

If the manufacturers didn't bill the cameras to be so great, we wouldn't complain about em. My old flip phone camera was crappy, but I didn't care because nobody said it was awesome and the phone wasn't billed as an incredible phone (Droid Does).

For us to pay hundreds for a phone that should take good pics, why should we have to spend another $100+ on a decent camera?

CM74DX

militant

Reaction score
Its a smartphone, not a phone.

And yet the iPhone, which everyone is quick to attack...can snap pics instantly with great quality.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Bottom line is there is something that you can nitpick on EVERY device. Whats important are what features are important to you and what YOUR specific needs are. I'm not a big spontaneous picture taker, and a 2-3 second delay doesn't really bother me much. Most digital camera's take a second or two from the button press, the only "instant" camera I've ever used that took anything near a respectable photo was the iPhone. I use my camera so little, it really doesn't matter to me, and when I do, it's usually planned, so a 2-3 second pause to focus and flash is not a big deal to me, so I'll take all the other pluses this phone has OVER the iPhone. Like I said, there will always be something to nit pick.

Then the manufacturer (MOTOSUCK) needs to quit hyping the cameras as great. 8 MP is supposed to be cool, but my 7 year old Kodak 3.1 MP camera takes better pictures than my DROID X with an 8 MP camera.

If the manufacturers didn't bill the cameras to be so great, we wouldn't complain about em. My old flip phone camera was crappy, but I didn't care because nobody said it was awesome and the phone wasn't billed as an incredible phone (Droid Does).

For us to pay hundreds for a phone that should take good pics, why should we have to spend another $100+ on a decent camera?

CM74DX

Other than simply mentioning the phone has an 8mp camera, I didn't see anywhere that motorola has been claiming the camera is so amazing. If I've missed that info, please show me (not being facetious). Because you're buying a PHONE, not a CAMERA. GOOD digital camera's are several hundred dollars, sure, decent one's can be had for under 200. So you're getting a 200 dollar crappy digital camera (that happens to basically oh yeah, be a phone and a computer, and a damn good one at that.), or look at it like you're getting a 200 dollar awesome phone with a crappy camera (that takes really good pictures).

You expect a phone as amazing as the Droid 3, and a top of the line camera for 200 dollars? What are you smoking dude. By the way, if you hadn't noticed, it DOES take pretty damn good pictures. I've printed several out on photo paper with a photo printer and they look better than my fathers 8 year old Sony 3.1mp camera (which btw, is a much better camera than your 7 year old Kodak).

Sorry you bought a PHONE and are dissapointed you can't go out and become a professional photographer with it.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

CM74DX

Other than simply mentioning the phone has an 8mp camera, I didn't see anywhere that motorola has been claiming the camera is so amazing. If I've missed that info, please show me (not being facetious). Because you're buying a PHONE, not a CAMERA. GOOD digital camera's are several hundred dollars, sure, decent one's can be had for under 200. So you're getting a 200 dollar crappy digital camera (that happens to basically oh yeah, be a phone and a computer, and a damn good one at that.), or look at it like you're getting a 200 dollar awesome phone with a crappy camera (that takes really good pictures).

You expect a phone as amazing as the Droid 3, and a top of the line camera for 200 dollars? What are you smoking dude. By the way, if you hadn't noticed, it DOES take pretty damn good pictures. I've printed several out on photo paper with a photo printer and they look better than my fathers 8 year old Sony 3.1mp camera (which btw, is a much better camera than your 7 year old Kodak).

Sorry you bought a PHONE and are dissapointed you can't go out and become a professional photographer with it.

Actually, ever buy a phone out of contract? The real price of these phones is several hundred dollars. I bought my old Kodak new for $100 several years ago and have compared pics.

The commercials of the Droids talk about the camera and bill it up to be a great picture.

These are supposed to take HD video also. Video quality is so so and not the way it has been hyped.

Wouldn't be as big of a problem if the HTC, LG and Samsung devices didn't take way better pics. I am not a photo enthusiast or anything, but I can see that its subpar. You don't have to be blind (which I guess you are) to see it sucks. Especially when my friends have different phones that can take way better pics. I wouldn't call the D3 an amazing phone either.

CM74DX

militant

Reaction score

CM74DX

Actually, ever buy a phone out of contract? The real price of these phones is several hundred dollars. I bought my old Kodak new for $100 several years ago and have compared pics.

The commercials of the Droids talk about the camera and bill it up to be a great picture.

These are supposed to take HD video also. Video quality is so so and not the way it has been hyped.

Wouldn't be as big of a problem if the HTC, LG and Samsung devices didn't take way better pics. I am not a photo enthusiast or anything, but I can see that its subpar. You don't have to be blind (which I guess you are) to see it sucks. Especially when my friends have different phones that can take way better pics. I wouldn't call the D3 an amazing phone either.

CM74DX

First of all, I've taken HD video with the phone, several times, and weather putting it on the computer, or mirroring via HDMI, it looks really freakin' good for a phone camera. I had people telling me they were shocked it was a phone that recorded the video. Second of all, now I know you're full of crap if you're saying you're saying your 100 dollar wallmart special 3.1m kodak takes better pictures. I know your lying because like I said, my father has the 3.1m sony which new was over 800, and was the best digital camera of its time in that price range. Period. The pictures that camera takes, are less quality (when looking at finished, printed pictures) than my D3. Go return your phone since you're so unhappy with.

Reaction score
I like the camera. Better then my old phone the dx. I've taken no bad shots.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

CM74DX

First of all, I've taken HD video with the phone, several times, and weather putting it on the computer, or mirroring via HDMI, it looks really freakin' good for a phone camera. I had people telling me they were shocked it was a phone that recorded the video. Second of all, now I know you're full of crap if you're saying you're saying your 100 dollar wallmart special 3.1m kodak takes better pictures. I know your lying because like I said, my father has the 3.1m sony which new was over 800, and was the best digital camera of its time in that price range. Period. The pictures that camera takes, are less quality (when looking at finished, printed pictures) than my D3. Go return your phone since you're so unhappy with.

Whatever man. Like I really get on forums to lie about a phone camera. Just pisses me off when people like you say to go buy a dedicated camera since the phone camera sucks.

CM74DX

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

CM74DX

I've got to agree with this. My Droid 3 takes fine video and pictures.. sure it's not up to par with my mom or aunts professional camera, but for a phone, it's fantastic.

I do agree with whoever brought up the fact that phones still don't take as good as pictures as the iPhone 4 and that's been out quite a while.. very sad.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Presence

Reaction score
Date tagging

I agree that the camera lags badly, sometimes up to five seconds after I press the shutter button. By then, the moment I am trying to catch it gone.

I have another gripe -- the camera does not do any date tagging of the pictures. Sure, the date is part of the filename, but the Date Taken tag is not provided at all. I just discovered this after taking a few hundred pictures. Now I get the laborious chore of going through each photo and tagging the dates correctly. My original Droid worked flawlessly in both this and the camera departments; it is sorely missed.

patfactorx

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty upset about the camera lag. I rather Froyo than deal with this

smokiedabong

Reaction score

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses . Did you see any other smartphone recently besides your Droid 3 ?

meribelle

Reaction score
I gave up on the camera that came with the Droid 3 and bought one in the Market for $4.99. It is awesome. It is Camera FX Zoom. So far I have really loved it.

mariellen