Camera stopped working

Robotica

Reaction score
I was able to use the camera on my phone perfectly fine yesterday, and this morning, the camera just would not work properly.
it opens, but, the screen, if in a dark room, is just black; when on a lighter background, it;s a lighter color.

I've only tried restarting it, I havent tried clearing the data from the camera (i'm importing everything currently), but I'll probably try that later on in the day.

Any other things that might help? I really dont want to have to import everything if it doesnt HAVE to be deleted.

Also, no warranty, so taking it in isnt an option.

thanks so much!

nastybynature

Reaction score
Mine stopped working and a factory reset would not resolve it. I called into VZW and they are replacing it under warranty.

OP
Robotica

Robotica

Reaction score
Mine stopped working and a factory reset would not resolve it. I called into VZW and they are replacing it under warranty.
I dont have warranty anymore, so it cannot be replaced.

bigmatty

Reaction score

Hello, I am going through and finding posts re: DROID4 and camera and posting my 2 cents worth. This is not a DROID4 post, but maybe my info will help someone - I am not sure that this is isolated to 4, so maybe it will help w/ X2 / MAXX / etc.

Since upgrading to ICS two times I have had the camera stop working, the first time I did a factory reset via Privacy menu choice, chose to not erase user data. This fixed it that time. The second time was today, and using Privacy menu choice and either leaving or erasing user data would NOT fix it. Then I used the volume up/down/power key combo to boot to the boot menu. From there I accidentally chose one of the random items (because I was trying to scroll up and not actually select, but silly me forgot up = select), then the phone rebooted and the camera worked again! I then did the volume up/down/power key and used Restore to wipe phone (just to be safe) and the camera continued to work. I gathered from this that there is a difference between OS initiated wipe and firmware initiated wipe. Hope this info helps someone out there...

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Mine stops at least once a day. I smack it a few times and restart my phone and it starts working again.

bigmatty

Reaction score
Hello, I am going through and find < SNIP > wipe. Hope this info helps someone out there...

Ok, forget what I was saying there. It happened again today, so I got the *ahem* "opportunity" to fix it again - this time I have a much more bullet-proof fix... I found that if I first power off, then remove the SD card, then boot, then access camera it will work. Then power off again, insert SD card, boot, then access camera it will continue to work.

HTH!
~bigmatty

towens

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what Camera App everyone is using, are ya'll using the default app that came with phone? OR is this a x2 camera issue?