Camera Resolution

Dave517

Reaction score
I know the camera is 8MP default and 6MP if used wide screen. My question is, is there a way to shoot in a lower resolution like 1MP or 2MP if wanted? I can't seem to find any option to do this.

flo_motive

Reaction score
Lots of views. No replies? Anyone?

Hello. I don't believe it is possible. The options in stock camera app are very limited. Can I ask why you would want to take such low quality pics? Today's electronic world can handle high resolution picture uploading quite easily and a standard high resolution image doesn't take up too much space. But consider a file convereter. If u are aiming for smaller file size, other file formats such as .PNG .BMP etc. Are smaller than JPG. Hope that helps. Also u could do some research and find alternative camera apps in the play store that might have the option to take lower resolution shots.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
I looked. Looks like 6 and 8. Might could do a video in VGA and do a screen capture though. That should be less megapixels.

OP
D

Dave517

Reaction score
Hello. I don't believe it is possible. The options in stock camera app are very limited. Can I ask why you would want to take such low quality pics? Today's electronic world can handle high resolution picture uploading quite easily and a standard high resolution image doesn't take up too much space. But consider a file convereter. If u are aiming for smaller file size, other file formats such as .PNG .BMP etc. Are smaller than JPG. Hope that helps. Also u could do some research and find alternative camera apps in the play store that might have the option to take lower resolution shots.

You asked "Can I ask why you would want to take such low quality pics?" The reason is, hard to believe, some people I communicate with are still on old dinosaur phones that have limited ability of receiving/viewing an HD picture. I agree, PICS should be in HD and edit later if one wants. But for the quick snap and send to folks with older phones, it just doesn't work because their phones can't handle the file and/or size.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
You asked "Can I ask why you would want to take such low quality pics?" The reason is, hard to believe, some people I communicate with are still on old dinosaur phones that have limited ability of receiving/viewing an HD picture. I agree, PICS should be in HD and edit later if one wants. But for the quick snap and send to folks with older phones, it just doesn't work because their phones can't handle the file and/or size.

Unfortunately, it isn't possible without some sort of 3rd party camera app it looks like.

I shouldn't say it's not possible, because technically it is. You could always switch to the front-facing camera and take pictures that way. The resolution is around the area you want, you just wouldn't be able to see the screen when taking a picture of something (unless it's a picture of yourself).