Camera question

brocbsdroid

Reaction score
Love my pro, but don't care for the camera at all. Has anybody found any tips to making the camera work better?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Love my pro, but don't care for the camera at all. Has anybody found any tips to making the camera work better?
Don't know...what don't you like about the camera and what is it you can't do?

OP
B

brocbsdroid

Reaction score
It just takes a generally lousy picture. My Blackberry Curves both took far better pics. It's not crisp at all.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is an almost hidden piece of plastic on some of the lens. Could be caught under the back of the phone.

Anything other than bright sunlight and the pics look a little grainy for sure.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

OP
B

brocbsdroid

Reaction score
There is an almost hidden piece of plastic on some of the lens. Could be caught under the back of the phone.

Anything other than bright sunlight and the pics look a little grainy for sure.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

Found and removed plastic on day one (due to a post I'd seen here). I guess I don't expect grainy out of a camera that's supposed to be 5 mp when one that was supposed to be 2 was nice and crisp.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's just a rather poor camera all around unless pictures are taken in bright daylight (and even then it's lacking). There really isn't much of a way to make any improvements on it. For something that's marketed as a business device as this is, the camera is almost more of an afterthought. And when it comes to the quality of the pictures, megapixels don't matter. Companies, especially celluar phone companies, like to market a higher number of megapixels as better quality, but that's typically not true. Megapixels essentially just affect the size of the picture and much you can enlarge it. The real quality comes down to the actual sensor itself. That's why my 8-year-old 3mp Sony digital camera and the 5mp camera on the iPhone 4 take better pictures than the 5mp camera on the Droid Pro or the 8mp camera on the Droid X. They both have a better quality sensor.

tennvol

Reaction score
I wish you could get the pro without the camera. Lots of businesses and govt buildings forbid camera phones

OP
B

brocbsdroid

Reaction score
I had hoped for at least as good a camera as on my curves. No such luck.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I wish you could get the pro without the camera. Lots of businesses and govt buildings forbid camera phones

There was a rumor that Motorola was making one around the time the device launched, but I guess it ended up being just a rumor.

mattyroze

Reaction score
My Droid Pro camera isn't just weak, it's unusable. unless subjects are 3-5 inches from lens, all pics come out blurry and very grainy. Was hoping there would be a tweak to do but it appears from this forum, no.

Strangely, it started fine. For the 1st month i had my Pro, the camera worked. then suddenly: crap.

google123

Reaction score
I'm sure you have already checked but did you look at the settings and make sure its on auto and not macro mode? Just a thought. :)

mattyroze

Reaction score
I'm sure you have already checked but did you look at the settings and make sure its on auto and not macro mode? Just a thought. :)

Interesting - but I'm not sure where that setting is. In camera settings? I don't have an "auto" or "macro" option that I can see anywhere.

More strange things happening as I'm just trying to tweak per your suggestion:
- It's set for 5mp but it shows only 1 in use (left hand corner, near gps tag)
- Took a pic, froze on the image for longer than the 2 sec review, then went to "voice dialing" when I clicked out of it. (Note that this phone always goes to voice dialing when something isn't working) and now the camera is simply not working.

I may just try to fully uninstall the camera software and reinstalll...not even sure that's possible. :icon_eek: