Camera not working, HDMI notification . . .

Reaction score
So over the last couple days I've had this annoying "Connected to HDMI cable" notification popping up even though I've never connected the Razr Maxx to an HDMI cable. It won't go away when I try to tap it and select Mirror, Music or Gallery and Clearing it does no good. In researching this problem online I saw mention of the Motorola Dock application running and to shut that down, which I do in the Task Mgr, but that only keeps the HDMI Notification off a few minutes, then it is right back.

It seems to affect the camera/video app since it comes up and functions but with a black screen, as if the lense is covered (it isn't back or front). Taking out the miniSD card and then putting it back in seemed to solve the problem yesterday for several hours last night but then it happened again today - HDMI Notification, Dock app won't stay shut down (tried auto-kill also, no go), camera malfunction. Additionally today, when I rotate to landscape on the home screen it now rotates also, never did before (it was set to auto-rotate on websites/media but that should be all).

The Power+Volume reset (like a battery pull I suppose) doesn't help. Not wanting to do a factory reset or exchange the phone if I can help it.

Any thoughts? As my wife reminds me, I'm pretty much thoughtless.

DarkSiege

Reaction score
I'm having the same HDMI problem! Let me know if you find a fix!

OP
Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprx
Reaction score
DarkSiege - I don't have a fix but I have additional info to share . . . maybe some of this will be familiar . . .

I did do the factory reset a couple days ago, but to no avail.

I've noticed when the HDMI Notification is up the camera doesn't work, but if the phone is off/sleeping then back on there's no camera issue until the HDMI Notification comes back - usually within 5 minutes of having the phone on for web, text, gmail, etc. If it sleeps, is checked quickly (like for a text/reply) then back to sleep no problem, but regular use means no camera it seems. I'm not rooted FWIW. And I don't have an actual HDMI cable plug in and then unplug like what was suggested on another forum somewhere on the Interwebs.

I haven't had time to run to a VZW store yet to try to replace it, but I did end up installing the AVG Antivirus app but it didn't find any viruses, so I can probably rule out that concern. That app's task killer tool can shut down the Motorola Dock which seems to be connected to this issue, but it only shuts it down temporarily like the phone stock Task Mgr. It happens whether on Wifi, 4G or 3G and when it is happening it appears to burn through battery much quicker. I also put the SD card that came with the RazrMaxx back in since I had been using my old one from my DroidX with all my files and pix.

Thinking the issue could be connected in some way to media functions I uninstalled ALL my market apps and did a hard restart - Power+Vol Down. Went two hours or so without the HDMI Notification popping up AT ALL, then it did happend again right as I was sending an email out but it disappeared within seconds without having to clear it (which we know doesn't work anyway). I only had eleven apps installed, so my plan is to add back the non-media related ones and see if the HDMI problem continues. If not, I'll add back the media apps one at a time and see if I can isolate the problem.

Let me know though DarkSiege if you think of something else since it seems not many others have this problem.

Edit - went back and re-searched my research - we're not alone . . .

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/194116-not-connected-hdmi-cable-2.html

Could be physical issue with the HDMI port itself; maybe a replacement phone is the way to go.

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score
Has anyone with this tried starting in Safe Mode to see if you still have this? There's a stickie to tell you how to do this.

OP
Reaction score
Has anyone with this tried starting in Safe Mode to see if you still have this? There's a stickie to tell you how to do this.

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes, HDMI Notification still pops up in Safe Mode.

Also, I've noticed that when it pops up if I use the back button to minimize it (back to notification bar) without tapping on any of the three choices the camera works just fine. But if I tap on Music, Gallery or Mirror (whether or not I save my choice) the HDMI Notification stays AND that's when I lose the image from the Camera until I go into Applications or Task Manager and kill the Motorola Dock and then Power Off and back On.

And, it has been getting more frequent to the point of almost always trying to pop up when I do anything. My removing the apps and reinstalling them didn't seem to matter either, it did it even before I reinstalled anything.

Finally, the Smilies selection list needs the guy banging his head against a brick wall; that's how I feel.

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but yes, HDMI Notification still pops up in Safe Mode.And, it has been getting more frequent to the point of almost always trying to pop up when I do anything. My removing the apps and reinstalling them didn't seem to matter either, it did it even before I reinstalled anything.
If it's doing it in Safe Mode, I would contact Verizon. Sorry.
Finally, the Smilies selection list needs the guy banging his head against a brick wall; that's how I feel.
Feel free to use this link for a head banger. View attachment 48454

:biggrin:

OP
Reaction score
BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

BangHead.gif

Thanks

Josebunbury

Reaction score
My friend had his happen and he took it to the Verizon store and they took the phone back as they haven't found a solution to this issue yet and he stated that it might also happen to the new phone as it appears to the store manager that it was a random issue... now I have no documentation to back this up so is just my experience so far so the best advise I can give you is to take it to the store...

Cpfieffer

Reaction score
Disable HDMI Detect

This might not be a perfect workaround but you can disable the auto HDMI detect feature in Settings under Display. Has been working for me so far. I have used the HDMI cable to hook up Netflix with a flat screen, so it's possible a connection got bumped and intermittently turns on.