Camera not focusing

parsifal

Reaction score
Hi,

This is a recent issue; I used to get focused photos.

When I go to take a photo, I can hear the camera beeping/whirring, and it thinks it has a focused image (the corners are green), but it doesn't: the image is very blurry.

If I put something a few inches in front of the camera, the image is focused, making it seem like it's stuck in macro mode or something (I checked, and at least the software thinks it's not in macro mode).

When I half-press the camera button, the image grows and shrinks a tiny bit, like it does when the camera is trying to focus, but it never becomes focused -- though the corners turn green.

This doesn't seem to be the timestamp issue that was experienced last fall/winter, since I have 2.1-update1.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a suggestion, because I had the same problems in the past, someone posted it and I decided to try it, and that is to clean the lens on your phone with a cloth (or for me my t-shirt) and it made a huge difference. Give that a try.

OP
P

parsifal

Reaction score
I have a suggestion, because I had the same problems in the past, someone posted it and I decided to try it, and that is to clean the lens on your phone with a cloth (or for me my t-shirt) and it made a huge difference. Give that a try.

Tried that -- no success :\

OP
P

parsifal

Reaction score
Attached is an example of a photo the Droid thinks is "focused."

Attachments

• 2010-04-21 17.43.39.jpg
    2010-04-21 17.43.39.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 413
OP
P

parsifal

Reaction score
Contacting Verizon to try and get a replacement Droid. Ugh.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What settings do you have going on? And, did you try cleaning the lens?

OP
P

parsifal

Reaction score
I did wipe the lens.

The focus mode is Auto. I have tried Infinity with no luck. Only very close up shots ever work.

FyrJammer

Reaction score
I did wipe the lens.

The focus mode is Auto. I have tried Infinity with no luck. Only very close up shots ever work.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but what have you got to lose? Try some camera apps and see if one works. If it does, continue to use that app or uninstall it and see if it "calibrates" the focus. :cus: Let me know how it works. My camera got all freaky after the update. outdoors the picture is washed out and indoors is really dark. I've tried a couple of apps and it did the same thing, so I'm waiting to see if anyone else has had issues with the camera after the update.

riggz

Reaction score
My droid also will not auto focus most of the time. I get red bars most of the time. It doesn't even make the noise like it is trying to focus. I have cleaned the lens numerous times with no luck. Guess I'll be asking for a replacement....

droiduser2010

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem as OP, and have tried multiple ROMs (including stock 2.1), wiping system/data/cache each time. The only thing I have yet to try is reverting back to 2.0.1, trying it there, and then upgrading to 2.1 officially. No root or anything. At least that way if I still have the problem, I'll be in a good position to get a replacement... ugh.

I should note that the preview window never seems to focus either, so even when I'm not pressing the camera button, the preview is incredibly blurry if I'm not looking at something close up. And the camera "lens/cover" is prefectly clean.

riggz

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem as OP, and have tried multiple ROMs (including stock 2.1), wiping system/data/cache each time. The only thing I have yet to try is reverting back to 2.0.1, trying it there, and then upgrading to 2.1 officially. No root or anything. At least that way if I still have the problem, I'll be in a good position to get a replacement... ugh.

I should note that the preview window never seems to focus either, so even when I'm not pressing the camera button, the preview is incredibly blurry if I'm not looking at something close up. And the camera "lens/cover" is prefectly clean.

Mine was doing the same thing. Nothing seemed to help. I traded it in for a replacement at Verizon after returning it to stock.

droiduser2010

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing. Nothing seemed to help. I traded it in for a replacement at Verizon after returning it to stock.
Hmm, good to know. Have you had this issue with your new one? Mine was working fine until one of my 2.1 upgrades, not sure which one. I just don't want it to be a software issue, as I would naturally like to be able to use the latest OS.

moto_x

Reaction score
I am having this issues as well, so I completely reset my phone, deleted everything, went back to stock 2.0.1, camera worked great. Upgraded to 2.1 Stock and camera still worked. It has worked fine for the past few weeks since upgrading to 2.1.

Today I tried to take a picture, and now I'm having focus issues again! I tried clearing the Camera App's data and that didn't work.

Any thoughts? Why would it work for a short time? Doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me.

droidgreg

Reaction score
My wife's phone is having a camera focusing issue as well. The camera worked fine for a while, then she went to use it one day and it would not focus. It doesn't do the "focusing noise" when you start the camera app like mine does. Just starts up and shows a blurry image.