Camera is unable to initialize [after root]

CS5n531

Reaction score
A few months ago, I had rooted my phone successfully using "Pete's root" and all was well. I used my Superuser access strictly for having more control over the design of the GUI and changed nothing else with my phone. A few days after the root, my camera stopped working. I would try to open the camera, my phone would freeze for 5-10 seconds, and then I would be returned to my phone's main screen with a message reading, "Camera is unable to initialize."

I immediately unrooted my phone to no avail - the problem persists. I researched the issue a bit and some people said clearing the camera's data fixed this problem (temporarily), but I never saw any results from this method after trying it. I also read to try a "soft reset", but this didn't fix the problem. The last solution I read was to try a factory reset which I did, but still no change to fixing my camera.

Does anyone have a solid solution for this? Is my only solution to bring the phone to the Verizon store? Will Verizon be able to tell that I had previously rooted my phone? I'm afraid to bring it in, I'm not sure if the unroot leaves any evidence of having been previously rooted. Furthermore, I'd rather fix this problem myself in the comfort of my own home.

Thanks in advance

freaknormel

Reaction score
I had the same, sometimes it wasnt working. Does your front camera work? if not, it could be the starting of damage of flex cable

OP
C

CS5n531

Reaction score
I had the same, sometimes it wasnt working. Does your front camera work? if not, it could be the starting of damage of flex cable

Since my camera as a whole is unable to initialize, I can't check to see if the front one works. Maybe there is a camera application that defaults to using the front camera?

OP
C

CS5n531

Reaction score
Make a video call with tango

Great suggestion - my front camera works! When starting a video call, it defaulted to my front camera which worked just fine. When trying to switch to the back camera, it would attempt to load but never would.

So my back camera is broken - is there a camera/video application that defaults to using the front camera that I can use? I should probably just bring this to Verizon, but I'm afraid that Pete's Unrooting process may have left a trace of the root behind. Not trying to get in any trouble.