Camera file GONE! help

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by nia07, Jul 28, 2012.

1. nia07

nia07 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This question is for my better half, he has a Galaxy Nexus. He was using handcent, sending a picture he just took. When he was done, his "Camera" folder disappeared! He did not see a delete anything or confirm anything. I can't find the folder either. After looking through all his phone, and he has Astro file- wasn't there, he took a pic to see where it would go, and it started a new Camera file and was the ony pic in it. He has other pics files, downloads and a file from his old cell I put on for him. So he has about 1200 pics in those. When I hooked the phone to the computer, I see 25.5 gigs free of 28.1. I dont see the pics anywhere :(

Any way to recover them?

He had Google plus, but it wasn't set to auto backup :( it is now!

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    The stock camera takes pictures under the /DCIM/Camera directory. Is there anything there with Astro?

3. nia07

nia07 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply :) OK so when I open astro, I am on main home page with all the files, I see files under /mnt/sdcard I chose DCIM and I see Camera file 7-27-12 6:14/drw, click that and there is one folder called "new folder" so I know he took a picture after the file disappeared and he couldn't find it, it made a new camera file? This phone doesn't have a physical sd card so I looked at the top file using the "up" and it was under / but no DCIM or picture file here...

I just don't think he moved it, I looked everywhere... I think it's gone :(

One a side note, I see another file called 100ANDRO date is 12-30, and it is empty. What is this?

4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Hmm that is strange.

Did he perhaps use a different camera app? As they may be able to use a different storage location to save pictures.

Does he use cloud storage, Picasa or Dropbox perhaps? If yes, perhaps it got uploaded, before it vanished.

Really though I am not much of a camera user, so I am really just guessing. The files should be under /mnt/sdcard/DCIM/Camera for pictures taken with the camera. The few pictures and videos I have taken are directly under the "Camera" directory.

I believe this is a directory that it is required on all digital cameras. Design rule for Camera File system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- further reading on it. I am pretty sure this is blank in Android, as it uses the Camera folder, so that you can see it as "Camera" opposed to "100ANDRO" in the Gallery.

5. thekrimp1

thekrimp1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lost pictures

I had the same thing happen with my photos. I am so sorry I bought the galaxy nexus. If the photos were on my droid x ( previous phone ) I would be able to recover them. I have searched the web and tried several data recovery programs but none of them see the nexus when they search for it. If you have any luck please post it.

Search tags for this page
100andro folder empty

100andro file

all the pictues in the camera have disappeared galaxy s3
camera folder disappeared galaxy s3
camera folder disappeared s3
camera pictures disappeared on galaxy
galazy s3 where are missing dcim files
moved empty dcim file and all files are missing

pictures disappeared from galaxy s3

samaung galaxy s4 camera folder disappeared