Camera app: Odd problem with pictures

Emoto

Reaction score
Hi all,

Great forum! I am new to "smart" phones and Android but am enjoying it all very much. Am hoping someone can tell me what on earth is going on with the camera on my S4. I am using the camera app that comes with the phone, and it has been working fine. The other day, I picked up a card (SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s ) for it, so I would have plenty of storage, and changed the camera settings so it would save pics to the card.

The issue is this: Some of the pictures (a small % of them) are weirdly mixed up, like someone cut and pasted sections all over the place. I have posted an example below. Has anyone seen anything like this before and/or know what to do about it? All pics shot at maximum resolution.

Here is a link to one of the affected images: http://emoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-F7vwQgK/0/L/i-F7vwQgK-L.jpg

Since having this problem, I deleted everything and used the phone to reformat the card. I took a few pics and they look ok, but I am reluctant to declare victory so quickly.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately the S4 has an issue with many, (most), 64GB microSD cards, (now you tell me:biggrin:). That is very likely what's causing your problem.

OP
Emoto

Emoto

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately the S4 has an issue with many, (most), 64GB microSD cards, (now you tell me:biggrin:). That is very likely what's causing your problem.

Oh! Thank you. Is there anything to be done about it?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
That would appear to be a true statement though all the proof is guesswork. It seems that some really old 64GB cards work but the newer cards are mostly a miss.

OP
Emoto

Emoto

Reaction score
That is truly bizarre. Any thoughts about storage media that will actually work ok?

My apologies, but I think I clicked the report button instead of reply at first. Hope I hit the back button before doing any damage. :-(

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Seems 32g works fine.