camera apk

jerroedr

Reaction score
anyone know where to get a working camera from? the zoom is all wacked out with rc3

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Zoom is stupid anyway IMO... it doesn't actually zoom in it just makes your quality less so that you can go in more. It's called digital zoom and its crap.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Camera test

In fact, here is an example. I took a quick photo of my room with 1x (no zoom) and then took a photo of the same exact spot with 4x (max zoom) then layered them together without resizing anything. The red box is drawn around the zoomed image.

This shows that all the zooming does is "crop" down your photo. Heck, even the quality is exactly the same, meaning you may as well just take your photo without the zoom and crop it at home to where you need. Just wanted to make my point that digital zoom is a pointless function.

captdroid

Reaction score
anyone know where to get a working camera from? the zoom is all wacked out with rc3

Attached is the one I used to replace the /system/app/camera.apk in CM 6.1 RC3.

Gets rid of the video recording zoom.

Installed using Root Explorer and set permissions for the camera.apk file same as other apps in the /system/app folder.

OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score
where did that apk come from and how do i do it?

captdroid

Reaction score

From another CM based ROM.

Easiest way is to use Root Explorer and do copy paste and then set permissions for camera.apk same as the other apps in /system/app

OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score

Easiest way is to use Root Explorer and do copy paste and then set permissions for camera.apk same as the other apps in /system/app

did you have to delete the other camera apk? and it makes the regular zoom work? and what did you say it does to the video zoom?

also what is the camera doing when its switching the lighting. thats something i havnt seen until i switched to cm

captdroid

Reaction score

did you have to delete the other camera apk? and it makes the regular zoom work? and what did you say it does to the video zoom?

also what is the camera doing when its switching the lighting. thats something i havnt seen until i switched to cm

I copied the attached camera.apk over the one in /system/app which got rid of the video zoom option. Camera zoom still works.

"what is the camera doing when its switching the lighting" is part of the auto focus.

OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score
odd. for me, the zoom would zoom in sometimes and then wouldnt zoom out. however the video zoom was gone as promised...

i put chevy's camera on but it doesnt have the auto balance thing...

guess ill just wait for a fix in rc4

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Again though, nonetheless, I just made an incredible argument that you should NEVER EVER zoom with your camera. Dont zoom because there is no point at all. Crop your photo in after you shoot if you really want to but the quality is going to be bad either way. So just keep this in mind when wanting to zoom at least.

Full shot resolution: 2592x1936
Full zoom resolution: 640x 480

-------------------------------------------(do the math:))

Last edited:
OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score
Again though, nonetheless, I just made an incredible argument that you should NEVER EVER zoom with your camera. Dont zoom because there is no point at all. Crop your photo in after you shoot if you really want to but the quality is going to be bad either way. So just keep this in mind when wanting to zoom at least.

Full shot resolution: 2592x1936
Full zoom resolution: 640x 480

-------------------------------------------(do the math:))

its not an issue of picture quality. Its an issue of functionality. All im trying to do is get something that works as intended. Even if zoom is pointless the fact that the option exists means the option should work right? Its obvious the picture quality sucks when zoomed in. But its just like on the video cam...it has zoom when it shouldnt and causes a force close. Say you accidentally touch the wrong part of the option bar while recording...there goes your vid.
But i totally get what you are saying. I mean, really, the devs could remove zoom entirely. but then people who love zoom would want it back. Its just a function thing thats bugging me in the back of my crazy head:)

captdroid

Reaction score
odd. for me, the zoom would zoom in sometimes and then wouldnt zoom out. however the video zoom was gone as promised...

Did you try the camera.apk I attached a few posts back? zoom for the just the camera (video zoom is gone) works fine for me with this camera.apk

Update: actually started having zoom problems with just the camera using the attached camera.apk. installed the camera.apk from UD v1 ROM and now my camera works perfectly including zoom and the video zoom is gone and so is that silly constant flashing for auto focus. Now works just like it should in Froyo.

Last edited:
OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score

Did you try the camera.apk I attached a few posts back? zoom for the just the camera (video zoom is gone) works fine for me with this camera.apk

Update: actually started having zoom problems with just the camera using the attached camera.apk. installed the camera.apk from UD v1 ROM and now my camera works perfectly including zoom and the video zoom is gone and so is that silly constant flashing for auto focus. Now works just like it should in Froyo.

i get better pics with the auto light adjust... but yea, the camera is wonkey. oh well