Calls going straight to voicemail / other issues

anakinjay

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help / advice.

I just switched to verizon, bought a phone from wirefly.com, got the phone activated and everything... all good.

When I get it, I find out that I'm in an extended service area. I called them to make sure I wouldn't be roaming or anything, and I still had access to X1.. wished it was 3G, but whatever I can deal.

The *big* problem is, when people try to call us (we bought two lines, both moto droids) 70% of the time it goes straight to voicemail. We've been testing this out daily, and sometimes it goes straight to voicemail, sometimes we get a U.S. Cellular error. The errors are usually something like "This number is no longer in service" or "Cannot complete your number as dialed" (we always use the same phonebook entry.)

One time I even got "Your service is not authorized to call this number"

I've tried everything under the sun with verizon tech support, and they want me to drive an hour away to the nearest verizon support center to have them test my phone.

BUT... First of all, the center is in a verizon 3G area, so I don't have any idea how they can test my phone.

Secondly, what are the chances of BOTH phones being messed up?

Thirdly, Why would the phone hardware cause me to get U.S. Cellular errors?

I would have just canceled my service and taken the phone back by now, but wirefly has some crap where if you cancel your verizon service (even for free in the first 30 days) you have to pay them $300 per phone... ><

Any help or advice? I'm really in a pickle... >< :mad:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum. sorry to hear you're having problems! sometimes the forum moves so fast some posts get overlooked. if you didn't get it resolved it helps to come back and put a :bump: generally you will eventually get a response. if you did get it resolved please post in your original thread how you fixed it so that the next person having the same issue might find an easy solution. thanks :D

OP
A

anakinjay

Reaction score
BUMP

No, it's still not resolved, but I guess I can update everyone..

The guy from the verizon store verified that our phones are fine.

We did some testing on our own this morning:

--------------------
1.) We went to a place where we know the problem happens the most (nice flat area with no big buildings or hills to block the signal)

2.) I called the other phone 3 times, all 3 times it went straight to voicemail.

3.) We turned data roaming off on the other phone, and called 3 times, all 3 calls went through

4.) We turned data roaming back on and called 3 times, all 3 calls went straight to voicemail.

Does this help anyone with any ideas?

smokinfish

Reaction score
There is an option under your contacts that send your call right to vocie mail if checked. I had a few of mine check by accident and was having the same problem. Go to contact hit setting go to option and uncheck box. You should be go to go.

D

SteveAikens

Reaction score
There is an option under your contacts that send your call right to vocie mail if checked. I had a few of mine check by accident and was having the same problem. Go to contact hit setting go to option and uncheck box. You should be go to go.

D

Just checked the two callers that happens to a lot. Not checked.

OP
A

anakinjay

Reaction score
same here...

the only consistent way I can receive calls is by turning data roaming off (which defeats the point of having the droid :p)

SteveAikens

Reaction score
Well, considering you probably use the Droid as a phone more than surf the net, you could probably leave data off until you need it. I'm going to try it and see if it works.

OP
A

anakinjay

Reaction score
honestly I probably use the data on it more than I do the phone :p but yeah, I've been just turning data roaming on whenever I need it, and off right after I'm done.

It's not a permanent solution though... going to call verizon tonight and see if they'll help me now that I have more information.

OP
A

anakinjay

Reaction score
Talked to verizon tonight...

APPARENTLY it's a known issue... I have no idea why it took me 7 calls for them to tell me it's a known issue.. but that's what they just told me tonight.

They said it's a known issue with droids and should be fixed in the next patch, she had no idea when the next patch would be.

Anyone ever heard of this "known issue" ?