Calls and texts while on wireless??

smaze17

Reaction score
So, I really hope my settings are just set up incorrectly but it seems that I cannot receive calls OR get text messages while on wireless??? Where I work there is absolutely no network coverage so I need to be on wireless when i'm there. It seems that I get emails ok but definitely no texts as well as no phone calls. In my humble opinion, this is a huge shortcoming regarding this phone. My friend has an iphone and he can in fact receive texts and calls while on wireless. If this is in fact true and its not me screwing up some setting than this phone will be put up for sale on Ebay very shortly as this is completely unacceptable! How and why on Gods green earth would you design and release a "smart phone" that can't receive texts or calls while on wireless? I will never understand that.......absolutely rediculous!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

VZ4G3NT

Reaction score
There a difference between regular wifi and att&t wifi. You should still be able to use google voice. But sadly you must be on a tower to use txt and regular voice calls.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about being on 3G as opposed to being on Wifi? If that is the case, you are supposed to be able to receive phone calls any time you have a 1X or 3G signal. You should be able to send and receive texts anytime you have a 1X or 3G signal. What you can not do any CDMA system is talk on the phone and receive/send texts at the same time. It is not a function of the phone, it is a function of the type of cellular system.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Yeah, what Bayou said. If you are on a Wi-Fi connection and thus connected to the Internet, that's a different system than the texting and calling networks. So if, while at work, your 3G or 1X signal is too weak to use or non-existent, you won't get data of any kind coming to the phone except through the Wi-Fi which is like being on your PC connected to your regular Internet connection.

So there's really no restriction per se save for the requirement to actually be able to access the particular network you need (in this case, the phone's 3G network.)

erict

Reaction score
So if you are connected at home or anywhere to a wifi signal then your phone will not ring for an incoming call or make calls and also will not receive text messages?

h4ck3d

Reaction score
I get calls and texts when using wifi.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Nods_Dad

Reaction score
So if you are connected at home or anywhere to a wifi signal then your phone will not ring for an incoming call or make calls and also will not receive text messages?

No that's not what's being said. The Wifi does not cut out the Cell 3g or 1x signal. As long as your receiving cell tower signals I.E. 3g or 1x you will receive text and calls. If you aren't receiving the cell tower signals you won't receive text or calls.

The wireless and the Cell signals are 2 different things. Your calls and texts use a different network then your internet or email does.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

erict

Reaction score

No that's not what's being said. The Wifi does not cut out the Cell 3g or 1x signal. As long as your receiving cell tower signals I.E. 3g or 1x you will receive text and calls. If you aren't receiving the cell tower signals you won't receive text or calls.

The wireless and the Cell signals are 2 different things. Your calls and texts use a different network then your internet or email does.

I re-read and caught that. Thanks for pointing it out:)

Ansextra

Reaction score
Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion does using the GPS affect receiving calls?

kevinkar

Reaction score
No, using the GPS receiver has no effect on the 3G usage. I can use the GPS in the car with Google Maps or the Navigation app running and make and receive calls no problem.

The three radios are independent. Mix and match at will. Only things to keep in mind are that if you are home, you might as well use Wi-Fi for any Internet activity since it doesn't count against any data plan you may have and the signal is faster and stronger and will likely extend your battery life.

Also if you want to use the My Verizon app, the phone apparently can't be connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot - it must see only the 3G network to connect. Probably a security issue or some restriction imposed by Verizon.

Otherwise, you should be ok with all radios on, off, or any combination and be able to use the Internet the same time you are using the phone for calls or texts!

OP
S

smaze17

Reaction score
Wifi

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Unfortunately, this is becoming a deal breaker for me since I really need to be able to receive phone calls while on wireless alone. Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe my friend and his AT&T iphone can receive calls and texts while on wifi only??? I realize AT&T is not running CDMA so it's different but I really think this is a HUGE deal to be able to get calls when there's no network coverage. So, I must say that I am truly bummed that I am unable to do so.

Now, when the iphone comes to Verizon, I really can't see Apple allowing there device to not have the ability to make/receive calls while on wifi only when the 4G LTE network is unavailable. I'm sure the technicians are or have been working very hard to assure the Verizon Executives that they can and will make a CDMA version that can do this wouldn't you guys agree???

Nods_Dad

Reaction score
I have friends with iPhones and when on wifi ONLY they cannot get calls....when theyre on 3g they can get everything. Its really not a phone deal but more of the fact you can't get cell service. Best thing is see if your friend can get cell service at your location. If not then your in the same boat.

OP
S

smaze17

Reaction score
Yea I think I was certainly confused. It's all good. I see that you need network coverage to receive calls and texts with all carriers. For some reason I was thinking that with the iphone on AT&T you could get calls and texts while on wifi only and no network coverage but I was mistaken. On a separate note, I was seriously considering switching from my X to the iphone when it comes out but I'm really beginning to truly love this phone. The capabilities seem to be endless. I'm predicting a March release of a 4G LTE capable iphone to Verizon. What do you guys think?

S

Ansextra

Reaction score
How would using wi-fi at home extend battery life? I thought turning on wif-fi uses more battery?
I am glad to hear about the GPS though.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How would using wi-fi at home extend battery life? I thought turning on wif-fi uses more battery?
I am glad to hear about the GPS though.

When connected to a wifi network, the phone will use less battery than when using 3G. Some folks think having wifi on and not connected uses more battery as the wifi app searches for networks. So, if connected - good; if not connected - bad. :)