1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Calling all Wireless Tether-ers!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jimmyco2008, Dec 12, 2010.

1. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

Whether you have a Droid X, Incredible, 2, or even the original Droid, if you've rooted, you've probably had problems with getting free wireless tethering.

With both my Droid Incredible, and my late Droid X, after about 20 minutes of wirelessly tethering my computer, my 3G icon on my phone would freak out, disappearing and reappearing link it was high or something.

And I'm far from being the only one with this problem, the forums are covered with this very issue, on many websites.

We have to figure this out.

Is FroYo causing this? Could it be Verizon trying to fight hacking? Or is it the apps we use to achieve WiFi tethering?

So my questions to everyone out there in this situation is, what phone are you using, what Android OS version, carrier, app you use to tether, and if you can, what version of the app.

In the meantime, I have emailed a few companies regarding this issue, including Verizon, in a desperate attempt to figure this out.

And if anyone has a solution or any info that may help at all, by all means, help us out here!

Thanks in advance, let us all hope for the best!
  2. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

My info:

Droid Incredible

Android 2.2 Froyo (Latest HTC update from November- 3.26)

Wireless Tether for Root Users (latest RC edition from developer site)

Obviously Verizon Wireless

Other notes:

PdaNet doesn't cause 3G to die, but Wireless Tether for Root Users does.
    Barnacle won't work for some reason. Rooted with Unrevoked3.
  3. 20007.3stroker

20007.3stroker New Member

og droid

lfy 1.95 smoked theme

wireless tether(dont remember which)

Verizon

only occasional 3g issues, mostly because of area that i live.
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Original Droid - Wireless Tether, and I have used it once when the power/internet went out with no problems
  5. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I don't think in any of the timnes I've used the wifi tether, that it went that long, over 20, but ...

Sapphire 1.1.1 on Original droid.

wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre2

no issues noted.
  6. shdwjackal

shdwjackal New Member

Using metiCkOne's FRG83D stock ROM (Deodexed) and Chevy's 1100 ULV Kernel on my OG Droid. Running both Wireless (Version 2.02) and USB (Version 1.4) tethering without a hitch. Never ran for over 30 minutes though. May have to give it a shot tonight and see if I can recreate your issue.

I'm curious though as to how you posed your issue to VZW regarding your inability to (accroding to them) illegally tether your phone to your PC wirelessly. LOL Just curious, and by no means am I judging.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  7. JoePhoto

JoePhoto New Member

Original Droid (Verizon)

Froyo FRG22D

Wireless tether 2.0.5-pre11

Haven't had many problems with it. I mainly use it to connect my iPad to the internets while on the road. I did have a few instances where it wouldn't connect but I suspect Verizons signal strength was the culprit.
  8. equake

equake New Member

Interesting, I'm using metiCkOne FRG83D stock Odexed with Stock kernel and Wireless 2.05 RC1 and Wifi Tether has not worked for me. It worked previously for FRG22D stock rooted.
  9. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Original Droid
    FRG83D
    P3Droid's 1000 Standard Voltage kernel
    Never had an issue with tethering and losing 3G.

Can't blame Vz for knocking you down to 1G if you're piping data for over 20 minutes though. Seems like a great tool to manage the bandwidth. Since I pay the maximum fees for unlimited data and web and pictures and everything else they would allow me to purchase, maybe they don't apply that filter to my connection.

Pay to play.

Nate
  10. joeybarclay

joeybarclay New Member

original droid never had a problem
  11. shdwjackal

shdwjackal New Member

Check out the google project page and try version 2.02 and see if that works.
  12. c0y0te

c0y0te New Member

OG Droid, Sapphire 1.1.4, Wireless Tether 2.0.5 pre14, Wired Tether 1.2.

It's completely unreliable. Sometimes it works for hours, other times it wont load the first page. I have problems with every form of tethering.

I've tried changing channels, tweaking every option I can think of, uninstalling/reinstalling, flashing different roms, changing program versions... Everything.

Wifi actually seems to be the most stable, but I will have to constantly start and restart it. Even the system tethering that comes with Sapphire is spotty and can screw up my 3g for a few minutes.

I switched to Sapphire from BB0.5 because of these problems, but it hasn't fixed them.

While I'm not in the best area, I also have a MIFI that never gives me any problems unless I'm trying to stream Netflix, but I think thats just a bandwidth/buffering issue.

Ultimately I think this is why Verizon doesn't officially offer the service on this phone. The Wifi capability really isn't that good. I mean, I have trouble just connecting to a regular hotspot with this thing. It would definitely be nice to figure it out though.

I would also like to know how you posed this question to Verizon, lol. Thanks for this thread, though. At least I know I'm not the only one.
  13. BodyBagz

BodyBagz Active Member

Droid X, rooted but stock otherwise
    OS version 2.3.340, updated 3 days ago OTA

I have been using Wireless Tether since about a week after I got my phone back in September, and so far, I have not experienced any issues with dropped 3g or internet capability while using it. I used it for 22 days straight in Oct-Nov as my primary internet connection while away at a military school and it worked great.
  14. itzkr0me

itzkr0me New Member

Droid x, rooted with Rubix 1.8.6 (z4root)
    Wireless tether for root users

Granted, I don't use the tether very much at all (a few times) but each time I've had zero issues with it. Used it on the road for my work connection to VPN and didn't have a single dropped VPN packet for the 30 minutes I was on.
  15. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

Motorola DROID
    Wireless Tether app (comes with the roms I use)
    Have used it on multiple occasions when my internet goes out. And multiple times when Im at a friends or places I dont have access to pc internet.

Ive also played games (Counter Strike Source) for hours with wireless tethering.

All times I havent had any issues with it cutting out whatsoever.
  16. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

I didn't mention I was tethering. I just said it happened when "using the phone's data connection for more than 20 minutes or so" lol

As usual/expected, they are pretty useless. I specifically inquired about switching to Alltel towers, totally ignored that. I hate protocol.
  17. KillerPlatinum

KillerPlatinum New Member

Motorola Droid running Chevy SS 4.9 oc'd to 1.2ghz ulv kernel. I use Google's wireless tether app. I generally have no problems with it. The only issues I have are lack of signal in certain places not giving me enough connection to view a site.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  18. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

Yeah I have to use an alternate version of Wireless Tether for Root Users otherwise it wont work at all. Speaking of which, anyone know why I seem to be the only person on the planet who cant get Barnacle WiFi tether to work, I am really curious to see if I lose 3G connection whilst tethering with that.

I rooted with Unrevoked3 (just like everyone else with a droid Incredible lol), and I'm running Android 2.2, like pretty much everyone else.

So why do I of all people have a problem, works for everyone else!

I guess if there's like a project hosting site where I can get alternate versions of Barnacle, that would be awesome. Appearantly Barnacle Legacy is off the Market literally, could anyone refer a link to ANY alternate version of Barnacle?

Thanks in advance!
  19. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

No prob, it's all over the internet on different sites, but no one has an answer that works. And it doesn't make any sense, it works for other people, why not us?
  20. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

In fact, in an effort so answer my previous question,

the people here with a tethering issue, what's your "Android info", like kernel, software version, etc.

Should be in Settings, then Software Information if memory serves.

By the way, PdaNet DOES NOT have this problem, how about you all?

I think it's the wireless tether app, anyone have this issue with Barnacle? I doubt it.
Search tags for this page

alltel 3g data link lost

alltel data link lost
alltel tethering data link lost
alltell 3g data link lost
can you tether on droid2 global
hack wifi hotspot samsung galaxy s3 alltel
i need a free hotspot for model motxt 1028pp motorola moto l
vzaccess manager hacked.android