Callers Unknown

retmotor

Reaction score
All callers, contacts or no, come up "Unknown" when calling, every time. Texts work as normal. All contacts have seven digit phone number entries. Re-starts and re-boots have no effect, nor does reprograming the phone with *228.

This is a relatively new problem, here's the story: We were traveling across several states when for no apparent reason, I could no longer receive calls from anyone but still received voice mail notifications and texts. After a few days of this I called Verizon and they worked with me for about an hour on the phone, 45 minutes of which was with a tech. He stated he nor the tech next to him had ever heard of this problem. We tried several things but he was unable to diagnose the problem. However, after the second time he deleted my phone out of the system and "re-set" it, I started receiving calls, though they all be from "Unknown."

Anyone ever heard of this before? I only found one other poster who complained of a similar problem, but he didn't provide enough info for me to understand if he was having my problem or not. I suppose I should, and probably will, call Verizon and see if it's an easy fix or not, but before I did I thought I would run it past the board.

tryzub

Reaction score
It's a provisioning issue. Although I had "Caller ID" as one of the services on my account, it wasn't "enabled" on my line. Contact Customer Service or Tech Support - either can help you.

OP
R

retmotor

Reaction score
I did call tech. Was on the phone with them for 55 minutes. They said they had never seen anything like it. We tried every diagnostic they could think of. Finally after deleting my phone out if the system and "resetting" the system for the second time, it just started working again - they didn't know why.

tryzub

Reaction score
It sounds like you got a tech on his/her first day. ;) My guess is that he/she didn't know how to provision that option as it was almost certainly part of the issue...and something that would have been "fixed" as part of a "reset".

In any case, glad you got it resolved.