Callers can't hear me.

drunkpark

Reaction score
I have the Shell holster combo, and it does this. Other end said I sound like I am really far away.
And words transmit in bits o pieces. I thought it was phones problem and was gonna return it.
But I guess it's common problem.

But one thing I noticed (not sure if it helped or not) but this mumble call happens
when I am laying down sideways in my bed AND the phone is 'between' my ear and the pillow.

So when I sit up they can hear me better.
Or if I turn the other way and the phone is just laying top on side of my head.
Not sure if I am making sense?:icon_eek:

So IT might be that the way the phone is held. How did you hold your phones when talking?

HUFFDROID

Reaction score
I had the hard rubber phone case and people were saying they couldn't hear me very well. So one day I took the case off and it was night and day. People could hear me clearly, so if any of you guys are using a phone case take it off and see if that helps.

Tracyap

Reaction score
Phone Call Quality

There's a pretty big thread on this topic on the Motorola Forum, including the manufacturing dates from phones having the most problems: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16215?tstart=30

I'm on my fourth and last Droid (2 refurbished models). I've had sound quality problems with every unit, and I've tried every trick in the book. (I don't have the problems when I'm using my bluetooth.) Anyway, my folks are in their mid 70s and this has been tough on them ... we talk a couple of times a day. I love my Droid, but unless Motorola or Verizon comes out with a fix for this problem, I'm dumping the phone for something else.

Phone call quality is a basic function in my book. :mad:

schellbl

Reaction score
I've had a case on it from day 1. I think my phone sounded great the first few days and has slowly gotten worse. Maybe I will try and see if the nake droid sounds better. I really like the phone besides this.

Brian

OP
p1ngputts

p1ngputts

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd Droid because of this issue, and it's still the same issue. I feel like I should just go back to my old phone. I hear the word "what" more than 20 times a call now. It's getting annoying.

dreg

Reaction score
Occasionally, my caller says it sounds like I'm speaking really low to the point I they can't hear me. When they can hear me perfectly, I can't hear them and it sounds like they are talking with their hand over their mic. I don't know if its a general issue that other people are having, but it's starting to piss me off.

This is an annoying problem. For me its more than occaisionally its all the time. I have tried everything I see on the Forum to try to solve it. I went back to the verizon store just to ask the "Technical Department" how common this problem is. Their reply, "your'e not the only one with this complaint. A new phone won't make any difference" I don't want a new phone. I just want this one to work. The thing is, I may not be the only one with the muffled voice on the other end complaint but if it were a common issue there would be a revolt and everyone would be turning in their Droids. I like everything else about the phone. I just don't want to have to keep cocking the phone from ear to mouth or screaming to have a conversation. I never had to do that with any other cell phone. Any more suggestions?

drunkpark

Reaction score
So is this happening even when the phone is naked and held normally?

I was planning to ditch the shell and leave my droid naked, and was hoping that this issue will go away... :mad:

M1dnite

Reaction score

I was planning to ditch the shell and leave my droid naked, and was hoping that this issue will go away... :mad:

I have it naked.. i think when i hold my finger over the top of the phone it does it. Mostly when I'm laying down it does not work.

and when i turn off voice privacy, everything is very quet, I cannot hear anything.

dreg

Reaction score

IN my situation it was not the shell, I tried it naked, same problem. I have found something that worked for me. I did the vocode reset, no improvement, then in another forum Ithink it was Android Central, I came across dialing *281 I think it was, which reprogramed the phone. That gave me big improvement in voice quality on the other end, Not perfect but tolerable; no worse than most other cell phones. What I am angry abouut is the attitude of the so called tech support people at the Verizon store at 18th and Market St Philadelphia. There were 3 guys behind the counter. I was the only person in the room. Their main objective was to make it clear I was not exchanging the phone. I never asked for an exchange. I asked for tech support on getting the #$%^%$ problem fixed. They said there is nothing you can do, live with it, as if to say " our product sucks and we don't care". I don't know, maybe that was just a Philly thing. Wer're not known for our great att-i-tudes, But why doesn't Verizon address this problem. Enter "no one can hear me on the Droid" in your browser and you will see the problem all over the place. I just hope my fix is permanent.

Pelican

Reaction score
I just posted about this in the "Pet Peeves" thread, I love everything about the phone but the phone function. Man(most) of my callers are muffled on my end so that I can't understand what they are saying, and I get the same complaint from the caller about the quality of my voice. It's pretty ironic that the "phone" function of the phone is it's weakest link....I keep hoping for an update as a fix.

"Audio Settings" was mention earlier, but I haven't been able to find my way to them. any help?

luigi

Reaction score
My Droid Eris has been doing this same thing for the past few days. The first couple of days, it happened only when I called someone. They just wouldn't be able to hear me. I could pop the battery out and back in and restart the phone to make it work again. Today that doesn't work and it is also happening when someone calls me. Very frustrating.

I contacted Verizon Wireless. They had one other instance of this happening on their system. They contacted the nearest store and asked me to go exchange my phone for a new one. Because mine is only 6 months old, I think it is probably important to get the insurance for anyone who keeps his phone for more than a year, just in case it happens outside the normal warranty period.(?)

Bdog

Reaction score
I've been having the same issue with people not hearing me since I got the phone in May. It's my only real complaint (other than the keyboard bubbling up on me). It occurs most when I'm on the phone with my step-mom's Razr (also on VZW), and my ex's AT&T phone. Neither of which have any hearing problems with any other callers. However, there's been instances when my sister-in-law told me it sounded like I was talking through a tunnel on her Eris, and there's been quite a few business calls where I'm forced to repeat myself.

I have voice privacy turned off, and before switching to Froyo last week, had changed the input settings and none of the options worked for me. Done a hard reboot, and even flashed and switched ROMS I was using.

I can hear everyone on my phone just the same (I'm a bit hard of hearing), and haven't had any noticeable issues. I'm getting to the point where I might just have to flash back to stock and take it in, but I'm not sure if it will be covered under the warranty.

vthokies1996

Reaction score
Wife had a problem with her Droid, people said that it sounded like her voice was muffled. She heard this just about everyone she called. She took it yesterday to the Verizon store, they made a call on it and realized there was something definitely wrong with the phone. They are sending her a new one, should be here tomorrow.

Ashiababy

Reaction score
I have the same issue except its all the time. I've got a voice recorder app- my voice is loud and clear with that so I don't think its the microphone itself. Its just when I make or get a call. What is going on?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think its due to the noise cancellation and the fact that the droid only has one microphone. I had this proble as well if I took the phone three inches from my mouth then people had a hard time hearing me. I have had no problems with my droid X.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk.
Thank you to those that have served and are currently serving in the military.
Happy Veterains Day.