1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Call recording

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by bacchanal, Jan 15, 2012.

1. bacchanal

bacchanal New Member

I've been trying to find a recorder that records both sides of a conversation that works for razr, but forums seem to be lacking on the subject... To avoid derailment, PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT LEGALITY. I don't care whether or not this is legal, I just want to know how to do it :)

If necessary, I may be willing to root...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Motorola phones are not capable of recording BOTH sides of a conversation in a phone call. I am not aware of a workaround even with root that will give you this functionality. There may be a ROM that will come down and have that feature, but since it's so infrequently asked for, they may not devote the time to incorporate it - and that's if the phone is physically even able to do it via circuitry. I have heard that you can record calls with Google Voice, but I haven't tried it.

And for the record (even though you said it, there would be comments anyway so I am ALSO trying to prevent derailing...), it's only illegal to record both sides of a phone call if you are in a 2-party notice state (such as PA) and you don't notify BOTH parties, whereas it's completely legal to record both sides if you are in a single party notice state (like NJ), as long as one party (such as YOU) know the call is being recorded. It is 100% illegal to record a phone call when NEITHER party knows they're being recorded, and that goes for ALL states, since it's considered Wiretapping, and only through legal court order can it be done covertly. This is the primary reason why Motorola chose to eliminate that functionality, you see they didn't want to get wrapped up in some form of liability for having facilitated the illegal recording of a call and subject themselves to cost or prosecution. Just saying...
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. robert70

robert70 New Member

There are apps in the market that claim they can do such things, depending on the phone, there are many free ones, I suggest giving those a try.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  4. Ssilk

Ssilk New Member

I have now tried them all with my x2 and confirm that they do not work. Totall recall is a program I'm still playing with that I hope will work but not positive. I did get a split second of my voice out of it so....still playing with it. This sucks because I do a lot of interviews over the phone for magazines and hate that I can't just use my phone instead of another device to record externally on speaker phone. Grrr

P.s. Everyone on the line at the time, knows that I am recording the call before I record. Just to keep it respectful.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'll say this... I use my bionic as an mp3 player. I use it to listen to guitar parts on new songs. I plug it into my mustang 4 amp via the 3.5mm jack. And when I do, if someone calls I can hear them through my amp, and myself as well. U could record the conversation that way I would guess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  6. RETG

RETG Member

7. gadgetech

gadgetech New Member

I remember reading somewhere that most of the apps that only record one side of the conversation can be used to record both sides if you put the phone on speakerphone. That way the microphone picks up both sides of the conversation, albeit rather poorly. Another alternative is a device I bought from Radio Shack that works through the headset jack with a wired headset. This one is similar to the one I bought, but with more adapters: Olympus Mini Tele-Recording Device - RadioShack.com. You will need a separate recording device, of course. I use a micro cassette, but anything that will record audio will work. A lot of MP3 players have a record function built in.
  8. FoxKat

That's interesting. I have actually tried several of the recording apps that use the microphone just to see if this was so, but I have found that didn't work. I am aware that Motorola in particular is averse to phone call recording, and from what I have read elsewhere the ability to record calls may be available on phones not manufactured for distribution in the US, but is barred from our phones.
  9. nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie New Member

It depends on the state but in most including NY only ONE party needs to be aware of the recording so you are legally permitted to record your own phone calls. It is a common practice actually.

There is no legal reason Moto wouldn't allow it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums
  10. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 New Member

Doesn't work on the iPhone either - it's been requested on it too. Only real solution is there are also some paid dial-in services that will record both sides...you call it up, enter the # to call, and it records both sides, then emails it to you or something like that.

Other option is to hook up a headset/mic combo to the headset port using a splitter to a Digital voice recorder or something like that...I did that with a plantronics phone landline phone I had awhile back - forgot how I rigged it though - it was pretty simple.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  11. FoxKat

In fact there is a legal reason why they wouldn't do it. Even if only one state required all party disclosure and the phone was used to record a conversation covertly, the parties who were not notified could bring suit against Motorola for allowing the phone to do the recording. I'm not saying they'd win, but why put the possibility of such litigation out there for them to carry the risk of? They'd rather not have to pay an attorney or attorneys to defend their position, so the easy solution is to prevent it.

There has been plenty of discussion re this subject in past Motorola phones, and there have been ROMs written to replace the ROMs in the earlier Droids to allow recording, and the Devs pointed out the mod was a reversal of a deliberate code to stop it.

And for the record, the following are the states that require either one party or two (read ALL) party notification. So with 11 states, requiring two or all party notification, and with several of those states being heavily populated, I suspect the risk of potential litigation is too high.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]States Requiring One Party Notification [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Alabama
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Colorado
    District Of Columbia
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky[/TD]
    [TD]Louisiana
    Maine
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Oklahoma[/TD]
    [TD]Oregon
    Ohio
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [h=3]States Requiring Two Party Notification[/h] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]California
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Florida[/TD]
    [TD]Massachusetts
    Maryland
    Michigan
    Montana[/TD]
    [TD]New Hampshire
    Pennsylvania
    Washington[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  12. FoxKat

Actually I believe there is another alternative, Google Voice apparently allows recording from what has been reported by others.
  13. keithsmith22

keithsmith22 New Member

Just an FYI.....google voice does record but only on incoming calls. You have to press 4 once the call has started and it will begin recording.
  14. nikecar

nikecar New Member

+1

Get the y splitter. Plug one end of a headphones into it and a cable to a digital recorder in the other side. The digital recorder should pull your voice and the speaker at the same time.
  15. roguetrader

roguetrader New Member

........... and none of them work.....

16. bsquared18

bsquared18 New Member

Re: Only real solution is there are also some paid dial-in services that will record both sides...you call it up, enter the # to call, and it records both sides, then emails it to you or something like that.

I use a so-called gateway device at home, which communicates with the phone via bluetooth and can be rigged to record on a digital or analog voice recorder. But that solution isn't very practical when you are away from home base.

Bill
  17. MysticalDreams

MysticalDreams Member

IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
    Just curious where you got this list from. When I lived in CA (about 8 years ago) it was a 1 party state. Wondering if and when this changed or if the police actually assisted in me breaking the law... sorry I know this isn't what the thread is about
  18. FoxKat

I can't recall the exact location for that list, but here's one I think we can depend on. It lists each state and then details the specific laws for that state. It's used by reporters to assure their activities when recording phone conversations don't get themselves into hot water.

Alabama | Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

By the way, California is definitely an "all parties" state and the fines and costs are pretty hefty;

"It is a crime in California to intercept or eavesdrop upon any confidential communication, including a telephone call or wire communication, without the consent of all parties. Cal. Penal Code §§ 631, 632. It is also a crime to disclose information obtained from eavesdropping. However, an individual can still be convicted without disclosing information. Two appellate courts have held that there is no disclosure or publication requirement for violation of the Privacy Act by recording confidential communications without consent. Coulter v. Bank of America, 28 Cal. App. 4th 923 (Cal. Ct. App. 1994). Marich v. MGM/UA Telecommunications, Inc., 113 Cal. App. 4th 415 (Cal. Ct. App. 2003).

Eavesdropping upon or recording a conversation, whether by telephone or face-to-face, when a person would reasonably expect their conversation to be confined to the parties present, carries the same penalty as intercepting telephone or wire communications. A California appellate court ruled that a network’s broadcast of a news report that used excerpts from secret recordings during two patient examinations violated the privacy rights of the physician, who had a reasonable expectation that his communications with his patients would be private and not recorded. Lieberman v. KCOP Television, Inc. 110 Cal. App. 4th 156 (Cal. Ct. App. 2003).

But, conversations that occur at any public gathering where one could expect to be overheard, including any legislative, judicial or executive proceeding open to the public, are not covered by the statute. For example, when a television network used a hidden camera to videotape a conversation that took place at a business lunch meeting on a crowded outdoor patio of a public restaurant, the conduct did not violate the Penal Code’s prohibition against eavesdropping because it was not a “confidential communication.” Wilkins v. NBC, Inc., 71 Cal. App. 4th 1066 (Cal. Ct. App. 1999).

However, an appellate court has ruled that using a hidden video camera in a private place does violate the statute. California v. Gibbons, 215 Cal. App. 3d 1204 (Cal. Ct. App. 1989). It is not a crime to take notes during a conversation or later summarize or disclose one’s recollection of a communication. People v. Wyrick, 77 Cal. App. 3d 903 (Cal. Ct. App. 1978).
    A first offense of eavesdropping is punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 and imprisonment for no more than one year. Subsequent offenses carry a maximum fine of $10,000 and jail sentence of up to one year. Intercepting, recording, and disclosing information each carries a separate penalty.

Anyone injured by a violation of the laws against disclosure of telegraphic or telephonic messages can recover civil damages of $5,000 or three times actual damages, whichever is greater. Cal. Penal Code § 637.2(a). A civil action for invasion of privacy also may be brought against the person who committed the violation. Cal. Penal Code § 637.2."
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  19. FoxKat

Found it.

American Legal Guide on Recording Telephone Conversations (USA)

But there is also info on Wikipedia at Telephone recording laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    which confirms the all party states list above and shows Delaware as well. According to Reporter's Committee for Freedom of the Press, Delaware has apparently joined the ranks where they wish to err on the side of caution since the law can be interpreted both ways:

• California[SUP][11][/SUP]
    • Connecticut
    • Florida[SUP][12][/SUP]
    • Illinois (debated, see next section)
    • Maryland[SUP][13][/SUP]
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Montana [SUP][14][/SUP] (requires notification only)
    • Nevada
    • New Hampshire
    • Pennsylvania[SUP][15][/SUP]
  20. ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad New Member

That makes sense

I absolutely LOVE the OP's first post. I totally feel for you. Ever single discussion on this topic devolves into legalities despite all efforts to the contrary.

But I do understand a little better now why Motorola chose to disable this feature.

SO, while I'm guessing this may not be the right place to answer this question, perhaps someone could point me in the correct direction: What if we look for ANY SMARTPHONE AT ALL, with ANY OS, from ANY MANUFACTURER. Does anyone know of a smartphone that will record both sides of a conversation while using a bluetooth headset? I don't care what carrier, I don't care what make or model. ANYTHING AT ALL!?

I remember doing research on this topic years ago, and I think that the first iterations of the Palm Pre could do it... Don't know if blue tooth existed back then though. :biggrin:

I'm so desperate for this functionality I'd be willing to buy a separate phone and pay a separate bill for it. But don't think that I'd be wiling to pay those by-the-minute recording companies. I blow through 2,000+ minutes a month easy, and I want to record 100% of it. I also am using my hands nearly 100% of the time while working, so I can't really use any solution that requires a wired headset or other devices.
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
Search tags for this page
best call recorder app for droid razr
best call recorder for motorola droid razr

call recorder app for droid razr

call recorder app for motorola razr

call recorder droid razr

call recorder for droid razr

call recorder for motorola droid razr

call recorder for motorola razr

droid 4 call recorder

droid razr call recorder