Call recording on rooted droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by timp, May 26, 2010.

1. timp

timp New Member

I just moved to droid from a palm centro, and one of my most-used apps was CallRec, which automatically recorded and archived all my phone calls.
    I would love to do this with the droid, but so far it's not happening. There are at least two android apps which I've found, but neither seems to work on the droid. Can somebody with a rooted droid please try installing and using them, and let me know if they work?

vRecord (after I installed the app, displayed a message in settings saying that "Recording is supported in Android 2.0, but Droid artificially stops recording during phone calls.")

allcallrecorder.com (appears to work, but all of the resulting .3gp files are empty)
  2. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I know that GV will record incoming calls and as long as you don't mind a rather loud "Call is being recorded" voice on both ends when it starts.
  3. timp

timp New Member

I do use Google Voice to record sometimes, but it only works on incoming calls to the GV number. What I would like is an app running in the background, archiving every call to the SD card. This worked perfectly on my Palm, and it was invaluable. Also perfectly legal in one-party-notification states.
    Every once in a while I'd go 6 months back to hear what a credit card rep told me about an interest rate, or things like that. Plus it was nice to never have to take notes on the phone.
    I am considering rooting my droid only to see if one of these apps works, but if somebody could just try them out for me, I'd really appreciate it.
  4. timp

timp New Member

Could someone with a rooted device help me out here? Let me know if any of the recording apps work?
  5. Loisal

Loisal New Member

I use Google voice for everything on my droid. Calls, voice mails, sms, and all the other features.
  6. bill12690

bill12690 New Member

6 months of phone calls recorded and stored on your phone? how much space did that take up????
  7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Probably not much at all. You'd be surprised how well voice-only audio (300-3000Hz) can compress - 10min/mb wouldn't surprise me at all. And given how infrequently I talk on the phone, 16GB SD card would take an eternity to fill.

If this problem of muting mic for recording gets solved, I definitely want to install this automated call recorder (even if it is illegal in many states)
  8. bill12690

bill12690 New Member

ah, that makes more sense
  9. zshazz

zshazz New Member

I, too, want this exact feature. In fact, I was willing to sit down and code it for myself, but discovered that Motorola disabled this feature on the driver side. Apparently it's "not implemented" in libaudio.so. I found this information by searching around for awhile. Lots of people want the feature but Google isn't really responding either...

Looks like it's a no-go on our phones unless we demand it to work again from Moto.

If anyone wants to work on getting this implemented again, I wouldn't mind writing (or helping to write) a nice app for automatically recording and categorizing recordings.
  10. AnotherGuyCalledRed

AnotherGuyCalledRed New Member

zshazz-
    "Apparently it's "not implemented" in libaudio.so. "
    Does this mean libaudio.so would have to be modified to include the call audio function? Or that it is locked/encrypted and access is impossible?
  11. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie New Member

I don't believe there is one that works on OG Droid besides GV, and it's announcement that it is recording defeats the purpose, imo.
  12. timp

timp New Member

For those interested, call recording has been built into one of kernels for the HTC thunderbolt. I've been using it for a day now and it works perfectly with excellent quality from both sides, including bluetooth conversations. As far as I know, this is the only Verizon android phone with this function, other than the Eris.
Search tags for this page
android call recorder root apps
android root call recoding

android root call recorder

call recorder app rooted android
call recorder for non rooted phones
call recorder for root user

call recorder for rooted android

call recorder root only for android
callrecorder root only
droid 4 phone root for call recording?
palm centro record call