Call Quality

a73

Reaction score
to those experiencing hearing crackling when making calls on the Droid (never mind complaints made by people you are talking to), does the audio sound any different using a wired or bluetooth headset? I have had similar issues with my Droid, and happened to recently answer a call using regular audio earbuds (no mic though), and the calls came in great. Switched immediately to the built in ear speaker and I heard static again. Will retest again, but if consistent, this would isolate the problem to the Droid's ear speaker, I would think.

jsb432

Reaction score
LOL, it's equally as important for people without a problem to voice their opinion. In fact the OP said clearly he has no problems playing MP3s or with the speaker on his end. It's you who derailed this thread with your 'beliefs'.

Anyway just to humor you, I found the quietest place I can and did your music test. I heard no hiss whatsoever just dead silence.

BTW I purchased my Droid on the 11th Nov.

Totally agree that contray observations and theories are very important.

I don't think I dereailed the thread, just tried to expand the dialog by describing my experiences concerning call/audio quality and offered some theories on the cause(s).

Thanks for humoring me and doing the test, as I mentioned to johfiner, it's encouraging to hear that there are devices without the problems I've experienced. I'm sure Motorola would be pleased to know that as well (they almost certainly already do) - not least because it adds weight to the theory that there is/was a batch of phones with hardware issues. Since the affected phones are a subset of all the phones out there, and the people anal enough (like me) to care are an even smaller subset of that set, they're probably happy to move on, and just deal with the few phones that come back for repairs.

Curious, what's the manufacture date on your "early" Droid? I had several with 44/09 or 45/09, current one is 40/09.

Ren

Reaction score
I couldn't understand you please repeat - Droid phone Call Quality -

Notice of association - I do not know jsb432 nor have I ever communicated with him in the past! LOL's

Jsb432 I have to agree with you 100%:)

• I've worked for Moto in the past
  • 30+ years in the Wireless world Eng/Ops
  • Own and have owned more Motorola phones then I can count.
  • Still have one of the first ten cell phones built in the plant, even several diversity models with TWO antennas - Bet most didn't know we started cellular mobile and portable design with two antennas originally
  • Headed teams in design and deployment of the first Cell network in this country
  • Headed design & deployment of many of the largest systems around the world

While a very loyal Moto systems and product designer, buyer, decision maker and user over many years I still have my share of other very fine products including many versions of Black Berry. Hell I carry a BB Bold right next to my Droid every day.

The Droid is a marvel of technology granted

The ultimate Adult technology toy - 99.99% of the folks here would not give it up for anything and I can understand that.

:motdroidvert:As a Phone it SUCKS!!!!!! :mad:

DSP issues
Bluetooth integration and audio issues
Talk time
Standard BT phone hands free services not included - Free phones offer this support and have for years
The worst audio of any device I have ever experienced - I have a $10.00 MP3 2GB audio player that runs on a AAA batt that runs rings around the Droid audio capability...

I think one only needs to consider the release date and the story be told. It's a Christmas toy that has not been sufficiently incubated.

Marketing within the big three must have said OMG look at the economy - Get this out the door now!

Engineering said you've got to be kidding@#$%^#$%^#$%^ so much for our holiday.:icon_evil:

And the quiet hush that sets over anyone from the three partners addressing the issues - That should say something as well. Oh we hear from hundreds and thousands of users within the forums but less then whispers from the folks that make it all better. How sad...:icon_eek:

One should expect over time that great progress will happen on many issues that have surfaced. Potentially some of these issues will never be correctable in the current hardware and hence Droid 2, 3...9 may be the only solution. :)

IPhone Killer (Not) Black Berry Dead (Not) and I hope that is never the case, competition is great for all of us. :icon_ banana:

In the same boat with all of you..

Regards, 73

Ren

jsb432

Reaction score
LOL, it's equally as important for people without a problem to voice their opinion. In fact the OP said clearly he has no problems playing MP3s or with the speaker on his end.

Maybe I should make an FYI thread.

I am female. Check the pic. That is a lioness.

OK, probably going to get myself in more trouble here.....but why not "thelioness" then? Is it like an actor/actress kinda thing? :) Seems a little "Crying Gameish" to me....

Might sound a little sexist, but when responding to a "lion" on a web forum that I would bet is populated by far more dudes than dudettes....can't say I would have closely examined the pic to ensure I was getting the gender right in my response. :icon_wink:

Sorry, just having a little fun...

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
It is thelion because I am a Leo. Leos are lions not lionesses (lionessi? lionessey?)

asmallchild

Reaction score
Without reading thru all the drivel, what's the consensus? In all the reviews I've read online thus far, it seems like call quality is a plus of the phone and not a minus.

jsb432

Reaction score
Without reading thru all the drivel, what's the consensus? In all the reviews I've read online thus far, it seems like call quality is a plus of the phone and not a minus.

I assume you don't have one and are still on the fence? I'm one on the minus side, but I will say that it seems the majority of the reviews/comments/etc. are favorable on call quality.

I would sum up my position this way: it is far, far worse than my previous phone (a BB Curve, on VZW) in all the exact same places - including the well indented spot on the sofa from which I type this. However, it seems like there could be some bad units out there and that COULD be my problem.

You're gonna have to try it for yourself and see how you like it to decide if it's a plus from your point of view or not.

Chukee

Reaction score
Im having the same issue with the audio. I have tried every solution thrown at me to try and fix the problem. Does not help. I have noticed that when im using my head set the problem is not there. No problem with music out the loud speaker. I have found that if you turn down the volume its not as bad but as soon as you go over the half way mark you notice it alot. I have also notice that when im at home its happening alot but when im at work its not as bad or there is no static at all. I have traded it out for another droid but same problem with the new one as well. Could this be a firmware issue? Tower issue? I couldnt tell you. But i can tell you that you are not the only one with the problem. I can deal with the static because its not that over powering. turning down the volume really helps with the static. Being an early adopter of any new product you bound to have problems. Ill probably end up doing a warranty exchange down the line if the problem isnt fixed with firmware updates. Love the phone and cant see going back to windows mobile.

Ober5

Reaction score
My audio on my Droid is not good at all - I am told that my voice cuts in and out unless pressed against my ear. There is more than just a little static on my end, too. My gf has the same problem on her Droid as well. I won't be sending it back, but this is a bit disconcerting and annoying to be honest. Not the fault of anyone here, so don't take it that way, it's just annoying to me personally. I don't hear any static on Speaker. I just did the program codec and will check the phone call tomorrow. Hoping that helped, but I am skeptical at this point that the Droid is a great phone. I think it's a great device just lacks in call quality. Again, this is for me and my gf, not your phones or all Droids.

Edited to add: Is it worth getting the insurance for something like this? I am thinking of doing it so that if they do get a hardware fix I can do the swap if possible. TIA.

jcrim13

Reaction score
FWIW - I got my droid a week ago... I immediately ran into call problems - horrible static, people couldn't hear me. It worked absolutely fine with my bluetooth jawbone. I actually did my own testing with voicemail (leaving myself messages) to hear for myself, and the quality was so bad I couldn't hear my own voice back in most of them (w/o the bluetooth headset). I returned the phone the next day to swap it out for another... I got and tested a new phone in the store and it was crystal clear. No problems at all. People hear me fine. So I've experienced both spectrums - a droid that was awful with call quality, and the one I swapped it for that is perfectly fine. I've been a BB user for years and couldn't handle the quality on the first droid I got, it was terrible. The replacement is just as good if not better than any of the berries I've ever had. Strange - but going over the forums and threads there does appear to be a problem with call quality in some of these first generation droids. Don't know if it's hardware or software, but I have one that 'works' just fine now.