Call Quality hissing? anyone?

magrathean

Reaction score
Post 12/11 update

Is anyone still experiencing this hissing sound? I experienced it quite often prior to the 12/11 update, but after the update I had several clear calls until tonight, when it happened again. I had hoped the update would resolve the issue if it were software/firmware/encoding related, but I guess it didn't fix it completely. I changed my encoding to EVRC-B since that phone call earlier tonight, so I'll see if that fixes permanently tomorrow. If not, it may be back to the store again for another trade. :icon_frown:

Spongerider

Reaction score
Is anyone still experiencing this hissing sound? I experienced it quite often prior to the 12/11 update, but after the update I had several clear calls until tonight, when it happened again. I had hoped the update would resolve the issue if it were software/firmware/encoding related, but I guess it didn't fix it completely. I changed my encoding to EVRC-B since that phone call earlier tonight, so I'll see if that fixes permanently tomorrow. If not, it may be back to the store again for another trade. :icon_frown:

There is a noticeable good change in sound quality. I do however hear some very faint hissing on a few on my calls but most are clear.

ofrhythm

Reaction score
i can say that i've been experiencing the same issue. it was really bad when i first got the phone ( a week ago), then I got the update and that seemed to help slightly. so i ended up calling tech support and they just made me re-activate my phone, which really didn't do anything. I also went into the phone (dial the # into the phone to get the menu...) to change the settings around and nothing seems to work. i have to go into a store in order to get anything accomplished--this time.

jsb432

Reaction score
I have it, on this (my 3rd) and the two previous Droids. I think it's there on all of them, to some degree - and it varies in frequency and intensity. I tried calls on 4 Droids each in 2 VZW stores - and they all had it (so that's a total of 11 Droids I've held to my ear, and 11 Droids I've heard it on. I suspect we just have an unlucky combination of good hearing and high standards (my Blackberrys on VZW have always been crystal clear in all the same locations).

I describe it as more of a static/hiss that I hear during the other person speaking. It's a bit more pronounced/noticeable for a few milliseconds after they speak, kind of like a shadow. Practically makes the phone sound like a walkie talkie. <hiss> "Roger" <hiss> <hiss> "Over and out" <hiss>... So disappointing.

Interestingly, I also hear it on the music player (or Pandora). I wonder if you do as well. Play a song, turn the volume down to it's lowest setting (not off) and listen. I bet you'll hear the same hiss/static....

My 3rd Droid is so buggy (I intentionally left all apps off it) that it crashes during the most basic of tasks (i.e. - dialing numbers during a phone call, etc.).

I have a few days before my 30 are up. If they want to give me a 4th to try, I might - but if not, I'm done with the Droid.

Chaiver

Reaction score
I had the same issue on the Blackberry Tour. I actually upgraded to the Droid less than a month of having the Tour and I am loving everything about my Droid. I have not had any problems with sound quality. The hissing sound the other person is experiencing could have something to do with the WIFI or if you are near power lines or anything that could send out an high voltage electrical current. I am no expert at it, but that has been my experience in the past with different devices.

asmallchild

Reaction score
I found the call quality to be superb. A lot cleaner than my BB Storm.

That being said, it was my 1st day with it and I may be clouded by rose colored lenses.

I used to think my Motorola V710 was crystal clear.

As was my LG Chocolate.

As was my BlackBerry Storm.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My call quality/clarity on the Droid has been superb.... much better than my BB Storm.

MikeDroid

Reaction score
No hissing from my phone. As a matter of fact, I went from a blackberry that has hissing problems. What is your cell strength when calling??

PeaceOut

Reaction score
anyone found a way to fix this?

I get it sometimes...not all the time, but more often than not.
I use google voice and I've noticed that I get it every time i use GV to dial out. But only seldom when using verizon.

I'll be doing more testing, but this hissing needs to go. I don't talk on the phone all that often but it's bothering me.

hinky

Reaction score
I think the call quality sound out of the speaker is lousy. It sounds like it's in a cheap earphone. Horrible. The best call quality I get is using a headset and most of the lousy quality is gone.