Call Over A2DP Bluetooth Audio

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by CopyPaste, May 7, 2010.

1. CopyPaste

CopyPaste New Member

I previously had used my droid with a wired connector into my cars audio input as a car speakerphone. It worked great. People could hear me through the droids microphone and I could hear them through the stereo.

I bought a bluetooth stereo gateway because I wanted to be able to answer calls with my droid in the dock, navigation running in the background.

To my dismay you cant send calls over that bluetooth profile. I say why not, I can send it over 3.5mm stereo jack.

Is there an app or hack that allows me to do this, if not what source could I grab (its not in the dialer, its in the actual call screen) that would allow me to do this.
  2. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

I can. I have a Kenwood car stereo with built in blue tooth support and it works fine. Maybe its a limitation of the adapter you bought?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. CopyPaste

CopyPaste New Member

I realize you may be able to with your unit because your unit probably supports both profiles. I am asking if anyone knows a way to make the calls go over stereo bluetooth just like the stereo jack. I dont see why it would be any different.
  4. CopyPaste

CopyPaste New Member

I am really amazed that this has never come up before. Really there is no app to do this?
  5. mikes

mikes New Member

You can't do phone calls over A2DP, because A2DP doesn't support any remote control functions. The usual companion profile, AVRCP, doesn't include controls suited for telephony.

You want to use a device which supports the HFP profile, which was designed to support telephony. Supporting asymmetrical audio paths (incoming via Bluetooth, outgoing from Droid microphone) simply isn't common - I don't know of any phones which would support that, there's just no demand for it.

Some stereo headphones support both A2DP/AVRCP and HFP, such as the Motorola S305. These will work just fine with the Droid for both media audio and telephony.

The limitation is not with the Droid, but with your gateway, since it apparently doesn't support any profile suitable for telephony.
  6. CopyPaste

CopyPaste New Member

Thats just not true. Why would you not want the same option you have when hooking in a 3.5mm jack.

I dont need a handsfree call profile. If the caller audio goes through bluetooth, you can use the droid microphone to hear your voice. Try it, it works great with a 3.5mm jack and should work fine with bluetooth stereo.

This is a limitation of the droid, my blackberry does allow calls to go through the stereo bluetooth file. If there is no way to do it, I will consider coding this up on my own, Ill just get the PhoneApp source, change the callers voice to the media profile, and voila.
  7. mikes

mikes New Member

Of course it is. Saying/wishing otherwise doesn't change that.
  8. Desert Droid

Desert Droid New Member

Cannot initiate/receive call over bluetooth.

I have been struggling with getting a Bluetooth Gateway to be able to connect my Droid to my cars MP3/Aux jack as well. I can stream music to my car stereo through the BT gateway, but can NOT for the life of me get my calls to go through the car stereo.

I've gone through 2 different BT gateways including the Blackberry BT Gateway and an HP Bluetooth Pendant, and neither works.

The previous comment regarding BT 'profiles' enlightened me to the nuances of bluetooth. I notice when I pair to either of these BT Gateways, that on my Droid the BT profile shows as 'Media' which I'm assuming is A2DP. I don't see a profile for 'Hands Free' which would HFP, and looking at the specs I see they both only support A2DP.

I found a few BT Receivers/Gateways on Amazon.com that appear to support HSP and HFP.
    _ Sony DRC-BT15
    _ Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth Car Kit (states is support voice calls, but doesn't explicitly state HSP/HFP profiles)
    _ Scosche motorMOUTH Bluetooth® Receiver

I plan to order the Scosche motorMount since it is powered through the cig lighter (I don't want to have to replace batteries). I'll let you know how it works passing calls from my Droid to my car stereo...
  9. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan New Member

Moto S305's do work for calls and stereo music. So the capability is there. But bluetooth voicedial is not supported, which is lame. Dumbphones could voicedial over bluetooth years ago.
  10. Desert Droid

Desert Droid New Member

After a little research, I just ordered the Alpine EX-10 which support A2DP, HSP, and HFP. I also found a Droid user forum where someone is using the EX-10 and getting both Music and Voice/Calls to go through the Bluetooth. It is a discontinued item from Alpine, but you can still get it through many Amazon resellers for about $35.

My fallback was actually going to be the Kensington LiquidAux, but I don't like that the mic is built into the cigarette lighter charger which is a bit too far away in my car. I like that the Alpine EX-10 has an external mic that you can mount anywhere...
  11. Desert Droid

Desert Droid New Member

Got the Alpine EX-10 installed and had a chance to play with it for a few days now, and it works great with the Droid. I am able to listen to music and make/receive calls, and it all goes through the my car stereo via the AUX jax input.

The EX-10 is a little bulkier than I was hoping, as it has a small 'power' unit which I buried in the dash and then a remote display unit which I have in my center console. It also comes with a nice little remote, which allows you to skip tracks (works with Droid music player and Pandora). As this unit is designed to work with an iPod, it has some limitations such as the display unit does not show the playlist from your Droid; it simply displays "Streaming" as you have music playing. However, when you receive a call is does display the caller ID quite nicely and cuts out the music, and has an 'Auto Answer' feature with you can enable in the setup to automatically answer incoming calls (I chose not to enable it).

I also like that the EX-10 comes with an external microphone, which I was able to clip on the top of my steering wheel column to get a nice direct voice pickup (although it could also clip to the visor).

The EX-10 also has about a dozen different EQ (equalizer) preset settings, which I love since the stock 6 disc changer in my Charger only provides Bass/Mid/Treble adjustments. I use the 'Rock' EQ and it jacks up the bass nicely...
  12. PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe New Member

Is this auto answer feature a part of the Droid or your EX-10? I am asking because of a question about my Droid auto answering which I would like to disable, listed at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...one-picking-up-incoming-calls-first-ring.html
Search tags for this page

a2dp phone call

a2dp voice call using the microphone in the phone

android a2dp call through

android a2dp calls

android answer call through bluetooth stereo

android hear calls through bluetooth audio

android phone call a2dp

bluetooth call audio profile

call audio over a2dp

call over a2dp

create call audio profile