Call filter/blocker type deal thingie?

supahrob

Reaction score
Heya everyone - I am pretty new... got my Droid about 3 days ago. I wonder if anyone might be able to help me out on finding a program? Ya see, I was a longtime WinMo user, and found a program called PhotoContacts Pro. I loved it! It had several features, but a couple made it a program that I am having a hard time living without:

• I could set it to reject any calls from people who are not on my contact list (this alone was worth the price)
  • I could set it to reject "private or restricted" calls
Is there any reliable program like that for the Droid? I found and tried "CallFilter" but it crashes more often than not, and sometimes forces my phone into silent mode, and I wont notice for a while - I am severly unimpressed with CallFilter... there HAS to be something better, please help :)

Take care,
Rob

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
If you route all of your calls through Google Voice (give out your GV # instead of your cell #) I believe it has this functionality, or at least something similar.

OP
supahrob

supahrob

Reaction score
sounds interesting - but I have had this phone number for years and I would like to keep it... but lots of telemarketers and people I no longer want to talk to keep trying to call me. I need a filter of some sort for my current number (ala PhotoContacts Pro)

Take care,
Rob

OP
supahrob

supahrob

Reaction score
Thanks, but CallFilter is the program I was talking about - the one that isn't very good... there has to be other options

Take care,
Rob

DjSmooth

Reaction score
Heya everyone - I am pretty new... got my Droid about 3 days ago. I wonder if anyone might be able to help me out on finding a program? Ya see, I was a longtime WinMo user, and found a program called PhotoContacts Pro. I loved it! It had several features, but a couple made it a program that I am having a hard time living without:

• I could set it to reject any calls from people who are not on my contact list (this alone was worth the price)
Is there any reliable program like that for the Droid? I found and tried "CallFilter" but it crashes more often than not, and sometimes forces my phone into silent mode, and I wont notice for a while - I am severly unimpressed with CallFilter... there HAS to be something better, please help :)

Take care,
Rob

Yes, there is and you can keep your number, you can block (ditch) anyone, you can have a different greeting for each and every number. Got a Stalker! Just head on over to Visual Voicemail For Your Phone | YouMail It Is The Best!

unknowndroid

Reaction score
I have both Gblocker and Android Firewall. Both available in the market. Each was only a few $$. Both allow you to accept only contact list calls. Android Firewall also allows you to block SMS's. Both have their pluses and minuses. Right now, Gblocker is winning.

OP
supahrob

supahrob

Reaction score
Yeah, I loooooove YouMail! One of the greatest things I have found in a long time - been using it for about a year now! But I need something that will keep my phone from even ringing when someone not on my list calls me... I think I upset a telemarketer way back when and he shared my number with his fellow hellspawn! lol

OP
supahrob

supahrob

Reaction score
Ok, GBlocker and Android Firewall sound promising... can you tell my why you're leaning towards GBlocker right now? I will likely get one of them today, so I am anxious for all the infor I can get on em :)

Take care,
Rob

sir2545

Reaction score
If you add the number to your phonebook there is an option to send it directly to voicemail, but it kinda defeats the purpose if your looking for an app to block everyone except contacts, but if im not mistaken you can set Youmail up so the person cant even leave a message?? Someone will have to confirm that.

OP
supahrob

supahrob

Reaction score
Yeah, with YouMail you can designate certain numbers, groups or other criteria to not even be able to leave a message (they call it "Ditching") and I love it, and make extensive use of it. With Photocontacts, I was able to set it up that when someone not on my list would call, my phone wouldn't ring - they would be forwarded to my voicemail, which is YouMail, where they would be able to leave a message - unless I had already put them on my "ditch list"

I really liked that setup - not enough to go back to WinMo though, lol - the Droid does everything so much better than WinMo, and I am sure this will be no exception... once I find the right program!

Take care,
Rob

lmoorehead

Reaction score

Take care,
Rob
Try aFirewall it works like a charm

JPD_X

Reaction score
VZW Spam Controls

Verizon also has Spam Controls. Just log into your account online, and go under My Services. You can block calls and text/picture/video messages (incoming and outgoing) from up to five telephone numbers. If you want to block more you have to be subscribed to VZW's Usage Control.

Though I agree that routing your voicemail through GV works quite well too.

Hope that helps a bit.

polljc

Reaction score
Call Blocker/Filter App

I have used "Mr. Number" from Android market for months for both call and SMS blocking or filtering. Works great for me.