California Taxes

EDB

Reaction score
I'm currently in California (bay area) on vacation. My new-every-two just became available 12/18. I don't want to have to wait until 12/21 to get the phone when I get home. (Call me impatient but I've been waiting as long as I can.)

I'm just not sure if it will be worth it to purchase the phone in California. I live in Oregon and don't normally pay sales tax but in California I've read that you have to not only pay tax (9.25% where I at) but for the entire retail price of the phone, which is $559.99 I think. This would make the phone 149.99 with the new-every-two discount plus $51.80 in taxes.

Maybe I should just hang on until Monday. Any ideas? I'm going to go into the local store tomorrow to talk to them and see if they can help. I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this "problem".

tha]-[acksaw

Reaction score
I live in the bay area. Been getting the shaft on phone tax for 3 or more years now. It's totally lame. The issue is simple. California has done a poor job with its finances. Spending it out of control. Our economy is in the pooper, and the state government doesn't have a problem putting the problem back on consumers. Totally lame! Best state in the nation to live in (IMHO), worst state to have to spend money in.

Just wait dood. This phone is sick for sure. I love it. I was really pumped to get the iPhone when Verizon finally hooked with Apple. I can tell you right now, I'm not getting an iPhone after using this thing. The to be honest... It's not so amazing that you need to waste the $50. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE IT! But hold tight for a few days. In the end, your gonna be just as happy, so might as well save the $50.

Not that we can't use your sales tax here, so if you really can't wait, I understand. And you would be helping a good cause. HAHA!

xjman349

Reaction score
I would suggest to call and order it over the phone through customer service. They will bill you based on your account address, but it wont get there till Tuesday at the earliest.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I've read that you have to not only pay tax (9.25% where I at) but for the entire retail price of the phone, which is $559.99

Thats True here in Maryland also....Taxes are on Full Price.

joneee

Reaction score
If you buy it back home and something happens to the phone within 30 days, you can go back to the original place of purchase and exchange it for a brand new one. Otherwise you go to a different Verizon store and they give you a refurbished one...

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Wow -- that is just insane. Paying sales tax on the entire retail-value of the phone, even though you get a discounted price?

I'd wait the 3 days and buy the phone when you get back to Oregon. Unless you can convince the manager of the Verizon Store near you in California to treat it as an out-of-state sale, and charge the Oregon taxes (none, right?) based on your home address. (I assume your VZW contract shows your Oregon address as the main address, yes?)

I definitely wouldn't pay the California tax -- any state that would charge taxes in that near-fraudulent manner doesn't deserve any of your money.

skiahh

Reaction score
Really? 3 friggin' days?

Either order it online with all your OR information or just wait the whole 3 days (it won't kill you, I promise) and get it when you get home.

You're on vacation anyway... just enjoy the vacation and don't worry about a stupid phone, because in the end, that's all it is.

Holy crap... how far over the deep end have we gone in terms of "instant gratification"?

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Seriously? Three days? If I were you, I'd spend up to $10,000 to get the phone now. After all, three whole days. Who knows what might happen in that time? Get it now, life's short, don't wait. Take out a loan, a second mortgage, quit your job, do whatever it takes to get it now.

Or, you could just wait. Odds are it won't kill you.

OP
E

EDB

Reaction score
Now now, no need to get feisty. Thank you for the information about the exchange policy Jonee. That's the kind of useful information I was looking for.

thelion

Reaction score
Show your OR state ID and I bet you don't have to pay tax. Most states do tax waivers for residents of a state that has no sales tax. For instance, if I go to WA (where my family lives) and shop up there and show my OR ID, I am tax exempt. Same in Idaho and Cali and up and down the EC. I am tax exempt because my state (OR) has no sales tax. Try it. Can't hurt.