calendar

jliller

Reaction score
Just got a Motorola Droid, my first smartphone.

Smack dab in the middle of my main screen is a big white box that says "No upcoming calendar events". I use Google Calendar quite a bit so at first I thought this box should synch with that. But when I select the box it asks me to configure an Exchange account.

What the heck is Exchange? I've never heard of it before. Will setting up an account with that allow me to display events on my Google calendar? If not, is there a way to remove this box entirely and/or replace it with something else that will display my Google Calendar events?

Thanks!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just got a Motorola Droid, my first smartphone.

Smack dab in the middle of my main screen is a big white box that says "No upcoming calendar events". I use Google Calendar quite a bit so at first I thought this box should synch with that. But when I select the box it asks me to configure an Exchange account.

What the heck is Exchange? I've never heard of it before. Will setting up an account with that allow me to display events on my Google calendar? If not, is there a way to remove this box entirely and/or replace it with something else that will display my Google Calendar events?

Thanks!
try out CalWidget on the Market - free and it lets you pick what calendar will be displayed

exchange is just the server that some emails run on - outlook is one of the more popular ones

you should be able to long press it and drag it to the trash can to remove it

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you're selecting Calendar and not Corporate Calendar? The latter is only for Exchange accounts.

exchange is just the server that some emails run on - outlook is one of the more popular ones
Just to clarify, Exchange != Outlook. Exchange is a mail server. Outlook is a mail client. The latter supports Exchange but also supports other mail servers as well.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you sure you're selecting Calendar and not Corporate Calendar? The latter is only for Exchange accounts.

Just to clarify, Exchange != Outlook. Exchange is a mail server. Outlook is a mail client. The latter supports Exchange but also supports other mail servers as well.

thats what i meant outlook is one of the more popular ones that runs on it

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
How do i sync my phone calendar to my google calendar?

To sync your google calendar to the phone you have to go into settings, accounts, touch the account that your using the calendar on & than put a check box in sync calendar.

If you mean you cant get events that you input on your phone to show up on the google calendar on the computer.
You have to make the following change:
When entering a new event on your phone you need to pick at the top in the drop down menu your google calendar for the account you are synced with instead of the default phone calendar choice. Than every time you input an event on your phone after that it will automatically enter it on the last calendar you chose.
The drop down will show every account you have associated with the phone & give you a choice as to which calendar you want the event to show on.

tbell6

Reaction score
Maybe I am misunderstanding you. The calander program that was preloaded o on my bionic does backup/sync with Google cloud. Go to your Google account and select sync etc.

I have done comlete factory reset. Set my phone back up the way I wanted it and Google put all my info back into calander, nothing lost.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
this is STUPID!!! because of this hidden "feature" I have lost important data!!! Cpompletely stupid there is no backup feature for in phone events!

You are right about the in phone calender. It does not sync with the cloud. I do not understand the purpose of this either.
You need to do the following & choose one of your online accounts that is synced with the phone than everything will sync back & forth.

When entering a new event on your phone you need to pick at the top in the drop down menu your google calendar for the account you are synced with instead of the default phone calendar choice. Than every time you input an event on your phone after that it will automatically enter it on the last calendar you chose.
The drop down will show every account you have associated with the phone & give you a choice as to which calendar you want the event to show on.

Last edited:

BionicPalmTree

Reaction score
Business Calendar

I downloaded the Business Calendar app and was able to easily sync my google calendar to that. I don't understand why the calendar that comes with the Bionic isnt easier to use with Google calendar??

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I downloaded the Business Calendar app and was able to easily sync my google calendar to that. I don't understand why the calendar that comes with the Bionic isnt easier to use with Google calendar??

What are you finding so difficult with the stock calender ?

My only gripe has been the widget for the calender doesn't show the actual event just that there is one.

BionicPalmTree

Reaction score
What are you finding so difficult with the stock calender ?

My only gripe has been the widget for the calender doesn't show the actual event just that there is one.

As I'm new to the android thing I was going by what 2 Verizon employees at 2 different stores told me. After trying to figure it out on my own, unsucessful I might add, I went to 2 stores and was told that Google calendar couldnt sync with the included calendar and that I should download Business calendar. Once I did that I was able to sync right away. So to me it just seemed more difficult, I still havent figured out how to do it. Thanks.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
As I'm new to the android thing I was going by what 2 Verizon employees at 2 different stores told me. After trying to figure it out on my own, unsucessful I might add, I went to 2 stores and was told that Google calendar couldnt sync with the included calendar and that I should download Business calendar. Once I did that I was able to sync right away. So to me it just seemed more difficult, I still havent figured out how to do it. Thanks.

You need to do the following & choose one of your online google accounts that is synced with the phone than everything will sync back & forth.

When entering a new event on your phone you need to pick at the top in the drop down menu, your google calendar for the google account you have synced your phone with instead of the default phone calendar choice. Than every time you input an event on your phone it will automatically enter the event on the correct calender that is synced with your phone. It will always default to the last calendar you chose to use on the phone.
The drop down will show every account you have associated with the phone so you can have multiple calendars & give you a choice as to which calendar you want the event to show on.