Calendar Notifications

joefuf

Reaction score
I am coming off of a nearly three year stint with a Voyager and have now upgraded to a Droid. One of the features I liked about the Voyager was the calendar alerts function - when you had an appointment reminder on vibrate mode, the phone would vibrate until acknowledged. While I do like the Droid's subtlety on some levels, when I need to be reminded of something this does not help. Is there a calendar app out there (free or paid) that has a better system of alerts, or is there a way to tell my phone to do more than quietly buzz twice?

Batman8

Reaction score
I've been asking this EXACT SAME QUESTION all over the net for the past 2 weeks!! I've talked to some of the Android developers and everyone else who would at least listen and NOTHING!!! Please let me know if you find anything that works. I have already tried Missed Calls, Extention Notification, Smart Vibrate, Handcent as well as a bunch of other apps with NO LUCK. I have always kept my phone on vibration so now I miss ALL appointments/meetings! Please shoot me a quick email if you find anything that finally works at [email protected] that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

OP
J

joefuf

Reaction score
I've been asking this EXACT SAME QUESTION all over the net for the past 2 weeks!! I've talked to some of the Android developers and everyone else who would at least listen and NOTHING!!! Please let me know if you find anything that works. I have already tried Missed Calls, Extention Notification, Smart Vibrate, Handcent as well as a bunch of other apps with NO LUCK. I have always kept my phone on vibration so now I miss ALL appointments/meetings! Please shoot me a quick email if you find anything that finally works at [email protected] that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Haha. Good to hear I'm not alone. Looks like I won't need to fish around those apps then. I use my phone in a school setting where I can't have the ring on without causing a disturbance - it needs to be on vibrate which goes undetected by all aside from myself. My biggest gripe is that after the alert goes unanswered the phone will not alert you ever again to the notification, whereas the Voyager would try again five minutes later. I came across a thread somewhere where a user was trying to hack the vibrate to solve this issue among others. Maybe by increasing the frequency or level the phone's method of alert would not be so bad.

scion676

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was in the same position and then I tried Astrid from the marketplace. It is separate from the calendar so for items I need reminders for, I just create them in the application in addition to blocking out time on the calendar. It has a lot of functionality, including "alarm clock mode" which will keep an alarm going until you dismiss/snooze it on the phone. Works good for me. Hope that helps

- Scion

JFDroid

Reaction score
@ the OP: I have used Astrid... it really is great, you should check it out, it might be exactly what you need. Just like the previous posted mentioned.

Shameless plug: In regard to calendar notifications, does anyone know of any app that will permanently put your current calendar appointment in the drop-down notification bar under "ongoing"? - just like when the music app is playing music, it shows "now playing" and then the song title in the notification bar that you can pull down and click on.

Basically, I'm looking for something that, say if I have a meeting from 3-5 scheduled, will put that calendar appointment in my notification bar from 3-5 and then remove it after 5. Anyone know of anything like this? For me, I look at my notification bar for everything I do with my phone and this is the missing element to keeping me organized.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I would also like to be able to snooze multiple notifications for different times like my WinOS phone has done for years!?!?!

twtaylor3

Reaction score
Calendar Snooze w/ Corp Calendar Support

I have been griping about lousy Corp Calendar reminders/snooze options and spoke to Bitfire Development about their snooze program for Gmail called Calendar Snooze. He just got it working for the Corp Calendar and it works flawlessly on my Moto Droid Totally customizable snooze times and deals with appts one at a time. Also will continue to remind you if unanswered using customizable repeats and intervals. It totally fixes Android's screw up with these reminders.

JerrytheGreat

Reaction score
Here here for calendarsnooze!!

I can second that--this app perfectly fills the gap in the programming of the androind calendar reminder functions!!
dancedroid

Batman8

Reaction score
Many thanks!! I have almost given up at this point on this ever being resolved! This is great news and I have just purchased the app.

edms

Reaction score
You can use Nudnik make your calendar event reminders vibrate repeatedly.
Nudnik Repeating reminder v3.2.0 - Snoozes are Application for Android | Productivity

It took me a while to get the settings right. Here's what I use:

Popup screen: Unchecked
Turn-on screen: Unchecked
Play sound: Checked
Vibrate: Checked
Vibration Pattern: Long
Choose LED color: Blue
Alarm Settings: Repeating Alarm
'Nudnik' Default Alarm: Checked
Increasing Alarm Sound: Checked
Override Phone modes: Checked
Shake Settings: Unchecked (for all)