cable sync app for outlook contacts

lucky

Reaction score
does anyone know how to cable sync outlook contacts to the Droid?

Silver Member
Reaction score
to answer you question specifically:

1. Connect your DROID to a PC and mount the SD card.
2. Export your contacts to a .csv file and copy it to the DROID's SD card.
3. Disconnect your DROID from the PC.
4. Open up the Contacts app and import the contacts from the .csv file.

The DROID lives in the cloud, so tethering your phone to a PC is a thing of the past. There are various third party apps available that will allow you to sync your Outlook contacts such as CompanionLink.

Or you could do it the manual method of importing and exporting .csv files from gmail.com.

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
does anyone know how to cable sync outlook contacts to the Droid?

On the Droid, go to the Android Market. Hit the Search icon and type "USB". This will get you CL USB Sync. Follow the instructions in the software and put CompanionLink on your PC.

This will get you wired sync from PC to Android completely free for 14 days. If you later change or add new contacts, and want to back them up to the PC, you can purchase CompanionLink for $39.95. Telephone and email technical support is provided with the product, which is pretty rare for an Android App.

I'd say for "640k" that's a great way to do a one-time transfer of data. But "Sync" is not "transfer". To Sync means to smoothly update data, so in six or eight months you can update both sides without getting two copies of everything. A 3rd party product eliminates the time it takes to import and export CSV files in different formats to Outlook, Google and the Phone. CompanionLink also preps the data specifically for the Droid, for instance making names on the Droid in "Last, First" order which is preferred by most business people who have more than 100 contacts.

Give the evaluation a try. It's free. If you have a question just call. A real live person who lives in the US will answer the phone and help you out.

Wayland Bruns
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
www.companionlink.com

Last edited:

njshor

Reaction score
Companion link Sync your PC and android HELP

I would really like to buy your program if I could check it out and see if it would do what it is supposed to … I am however having problems and becoming frustrated
I have a Motorola milestone ( im in germany ) and would like to sync my outlook without having to go via the gmail cloud ( as the field set ups in Google do not make sense to me )
Your product .. USB sync Android phones with Outlook, Lotus Notes, GroupWise, ACT!, and Palm Desktop
Sync your PC and android based phone looks promising but I PLEASE NEED HELP !
YOUR DIRECTIONS ARE.. my comments in BOLD
On the Android phone:
Install the free CL USB Sync™ app on your phone. It synchronizes PC contacts, calendar, tasks and notes/memos to your Android phone using the USB cable that came with your phone. No cloud required.

Visit companionlink.com/androidapp from your Android phone to download and install the app on your phone.

I HAVE THE APP INSTALLED ( I get 4 icons though CL calendar, CL Memos; CL tasks, and CL USB Sync )

When I “pull down the USB Connection I do not have an option that ssys”mount” . I can choose from the following options
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mortorola phone tools
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Windows media sync
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Memory card management
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]None
Would Memory card management be correct to mount ?
I tried Memory card management and opened the CL USB Sync app….
Big button at the top “sync” with a small message CL USB Sync 1.1.4 the companion link database is not available until the USB drive is unmounted.null
On the bottom there are 3 icons Calender, tasks, and memo
Cant really do anything else from here…..

On the PC:

Select the PC software you want to sync from the options at the bottom of this page. You will be asked to install the appropriate CompanionLink desktop software based on your selection.

CompanionLink desktop software is available as a 14-day evaluation. If you have previously purchased any CompanionLink product, your purchase will be applied towards any upgrades that may be needed.

I HAVE INSTALLED THE PROGRAM on my PC ( Windows XP ) … but when I try to open it I get an error message “you must set up the persona information manager first ´… I unumstalled and then re-installed and get the same message !

How to sync:
1. On the Android phone, launch CL USB Sync, and tap the Sync button. This gathers data for the USB connection.
2. When this completes, connect your Android phone to the PC via the USB cable and mount it to your computer. (Learn how to mount)
3. On the PC, launch and run CompanionLink to complete the synchronization.

4. After synchronization finishes, unmount the phone (learn how to unmount) and disconnect the USB cable.

5. Launch CL USB Sync on your phone, then tap the Sync button.

DO YOU HAVE A COMPLETE SET BY STEP DUMMY GUIDE ??

Thanks in advance

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
Njshor,

I happen to be here working as your message got posted. Here is a short reply.

1. For Mounting. After connecting, Pull down the "Alert" menu ON THE PHONE. It's the little bar a the top that alerts for Emails or Messages. It will give the option to Mount.

2. On your PC, what version of Outlook is installed? It sounds like the Software is not detecting it. Be sure you open the CompanionLink Settings window, click Setup, and select Outlook as your PIM (Personal Information Manager)

I have something even BETTER than a step-by-step dummy guide. Starting tomorrow (Monday Jan 18) we are introducing an entirely different way to connect. It will be so easy. Just plug the cable in! It took us a lot of time to find a technical hack so we don't have to use the native "Mount" function. That's all.

So this will be a new CL USB Sync, and also a new CompanionLink. Sorry about the dual download. It's all ready to go, and will be posted tomorrow.

With the update, the instructions are:

1) Download CL USB Sync for Android (After Jan 18, 2010)
2) Download CompanionLink on PC (After Jan 18, 2010)
3) Run CompanionLink Setup to select your data source
Then to Synchronize
4) Plug Handheld in using the Cable
To finish Synchronizing
5) Unplug the Cable

That's it. I hope this information will help. We feel that the "Mount" process was the biggest problem we encountered so far. Tomorrow's update also fixes some problems with Alerts and the Calendar.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
http://www.companionlink.com

njshor

Reaction score
now we are getting somewhere !

second of all thanks for the reply .. Firstly however I want to openly appoligize for my scattered brain.. I have to many Icons on my PC and when I download the program all I saw was the "SYNC" Icon and did not notice the CompanionLink SETUP button that was convinently placed somwhere in the middle .. I tried it again before I looked for any kind of reply in this forum and got alot further ( as it was all self expanitory ) .. I thought I did the "mount correctly" and actually saw the contacts come in ! ALL CORRECT ... execpt then like running to catch a bus that was leaving the station the contacts 1 by 1 disapeared ...?? makes no real sence but I will try again as I might have "mounted " to the wrong thing.. ( I have a number of different options when I pull down the USB notice ) ..In any case .. I wanted to know if it is clear to download the NEW VERSION of the CL USB Sync ?

thanks again and regards from Munich
Ed

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
Ed, Sounds good. For Disappearing contacts:

On the Phone go to Settings, Accounts and Sync. Select your gmail account. Then turn "Sync Contacts" and "Sync Calendar" OFF.

Once this is set, on the PC select Purge and Reload and run the sync again.

Sometimes with Wireless sync we find a conflict since the phone tries to reconcile the data with Google. When it doesn't reconcile, the phone deletes the records.

We are trying to make this setting automatic, or post a warning in the software. Basically, when you sync with USB you should not ALSO sync with Google.

I hope this information helps. The new "Sync on Connect" build is posted now so if you update your CL USB Sync and also CompanionLink, you no longer need to mount the device. Just plug it in.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Softare, Inc.
www.companionlink.com

njshor

Reaction score
TEST SYNC LOOKING GOOD !! CompanionLink Outlook to Android via USB

Thanks for your patience.... I just did what you suggested and was able to sync all 11 test contacts and they look beautiful !

One tip is that I still had to double check that the "mounting" was to the right option ... I have 4 different choices ( it was set to none - thats why I did not see anything happen ) on my phone
·Mortorola phone tools
·Windows media sync
·Memory card management *** correct choice **
·None

Also - I have it now as the simple dummy steps as I never knew which sync button was the initiator.. ( on the pc or on the phone app )

1. turn off the "auto sync" on the phone in accounts and settings
then connect USB cable
2. run the CL USB app in the phone
3. push sync on the PC
4. wait for the "finished" signal
5. disconnect cable
6. push sync on the phone

in any case ...really late here in Europe ..
Tomorrow is the big test... Gonna try it with 1800 contacts !:icon_eek:

BTW - the contacts I have in outlook are actually being sync'd with the ZOHO.com CRM - do you forsee any problems with this ? ( I am not syncing at the same time )

also - can you confirm that your newest version is 3.0 ( build 3085 ) for the PC and APP version 5 ( CL USB Sync 1.2.0 )

thanks again for your help
njshor

njshor

Reaction score
TEST SYNC LOOKING GOOD !! CompanionLink Outlook to Android via USB 2

one more thing ... just thought I would check out the contacts again while shutting everthing down .. I restarted "auto Sync" and ...crap .. the contacts disappeared again.. one note of warning to anyone else following this .. it is not Auto sync that has to be disabled but in accounts and settings -> google account -> sync contacts it has to stay OFF

I rinsed and repeated and and now have all contacts back again

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
also - can you confirm that your newest version is 3.0 ( build 3085 ) for the PC and APP version 5 ( CL USB Sync 1.2.0 )

CL USB Sync 1.2.0 is correct.

CompanionLink 3.0 build 3087 or higher is the one you want. It is posted in the "Updates" section of our web site.

Wayland

njshor

Reaction score
Outlook to Android via USB - Companionlink did the job !

Thanks again for all your support.

I just synced in 1800 contacts from microsoft outlook to my Android motorola milestone via the USB cable.. no problems that I can see and all looks good !

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Excitable Boy

Reaction score
Questions for clcto:

I sync my Droid to an Exchange server for work, Contacts, Push email and Calendar. So far the built in Mail, Contacts and Corp Calendar apps work fin and sync both ways. For work I have a Windows 7 Pro laptop and all three devices work as predicted, with the exception of the "Can't accept Outlook Appointment invitations" bug on the Droid, but that's another issue. I'm running Outlook 2007 on the laptop.

My issue is this; On my old WinMo 6.1 devices, I could do all this, and also sync my Contacts and Calendar to my personal desktop (not connected to Exchange), also running Windows 7 and Outlook 2007. I don't care about syncing my personal POP Mail to the Droid, but really want to have my Calendar and Contacts on my desktop like I was able to do in the WinMo environment. Will CL allow me to do that? If so, I'm sold.

njshor

Reaction score
another ..Disappearing contacts question

CompanionLink did a great job and got all 1800 contacts into my Milestone….

Now I am sure the problem is with the Android phone as I did not sync anymore but yesterday I had all the contacts in … used the phone all day and was not able to charge it.. it went dead and today I noticed all contacts and call logs are gone L

I took your advice the other day and have the MENU Accounts and Sync -> my gmail account -> sync contacts ( and it is turned off ) … contacts are the only thing I synced with CompanionLink.. ( even says that the last contact sync within gmail was 3 days ago –

I also check around in other forums and could only find that I should my contacts app ( not from the marketplace ) .. -> menu -> display options and hit the small arrow next to my account which gave me the choices
+System group
+Blank ( but I could check the box )
+All other contacts ..

I checked them all but still could not find the hidden contacts..

I thought they should be saved on my SD card but via the app ASTRO to see the folders I still cant find anything…

There is nothing in my online google account ( which is good because I do not want them there – and is why I used your USB sync option

I have a 8 gb card .. and 5 are free .. I do have a number of apps and the motonav system so I really cant tell how big of a size the the 1800 contacts would be …

I appreciate your help and am trying to remain factual and not show how frustrating this is .. the I have to trust that the phone will keep my data and not just delete it of send it out to who knows where..

I know that this IS NOT a companionLink issue but Any thoughts ?? help would really be appreciated

bsickel

Reaction score
Droid Outlook Sync Software for Free

Does anyone know of a way to sync the outlook contacts and calendar to my new Droid that does not cost $50 plus dollars. Hopefully this forum is not just for someone that is a web salesman.

Bob

njshor

Reaction score
Droid Outlook Sync Software for Free

Sorry but that whole frustrating expericence for me is over a month ago... I did end up having more problems and gave up..

I did not sync the contacts ... ( I do have a very large amount ) .. and I do not know where the problem really was..

What I did was...I have all mine in Zoho CRM and sync that with outlook ... for outlook I downloaded some software (free trial ) and can now cleanly turn all the contacts into Vcards.. the >V cards I then just dragged in to a contacts folder on the phone ( via USB ).. I have all my contacts but no sync...

sorry .. If you find a no brainer solution please let me know.. but otherwise I am not going to spend any more time on it