Cable for audio, video, & charging?

Pat353

Reaction score
Hey all, just bought a Razr and I was looking for one cable that will output to RCAs for audio and video plus charge the phone. The Incredible seems to output video via micro USB but does the Razr or just through HDMI? Ideally, I would like the get the car dock and plug in one cable that will charge, send video to my navi screen to output my droid screen and send a left and right audio source for my stereo. This way, I could have a great navi (infiniti's is rough) through my navi to TV mod and stereo. I was also trying to figure out someway to plug a mic in so I could play caller voice through my radio and have a nice handsfree convo w/o bluetooth but that isn't a big deal at the moment.

The video below shows exactly what I would like to do with the Razr but on an Incredible (cable has an additional plug for a car charger). This is the only way it seems I could use the Motorola dock to put it in car mode and charge with one simple plug in but is it possible?

[video=youtube;eJyt463AoOA]http://youtu.be/eJyt463AoOA[/video]

Frogman

Reaction score
"Watch a video, flip through pictures, share a presentation, even play a game. Whatever you do on your phone, do it on a big screen, with mirror mode. That’s right — no more crowding around so everyone can see. Simply use an HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your DROID RAZR to a monitor or HDTV. Your phone: it just may be the best thing on television. "Get the micro HDMI cable from Verizon for about $20. I play movies, can record, view my pictures, get on the internet. Everything on my phone is displayed on the tv with the HDMI cable.

OP
P

Pat353

Reaction score
Yes I understand that but i want to use the car dock to automatically bump it to car mode when docked and that covers the HDMI port so that doesn't work. I was wondering if the micro USB outputs audio and video like the incredible so I could use the dock with just a power cord plugged into the micro USB cable and plug the micro USB into the one micro port on the back of the car dock.

Last edited:

Frogman

Reaction score
Ok that sounds interesting. I dont think it does but now I understand why. I use to be able to change my music on the fly while my old phone (OG Droid1)sat in my coffee cup. On my Razr the buttons arent big enough to do that. When I reverse the case and use the clip on portion of the verizon case with the kickstand, it covers the buttons. I will need to find an alternate method. Good luck with yours.

pizzaman

Reaction score
Yes I understand that but i want to use the car dock to automatically bump it to car mode when docked and that covers the HDMI port so that doesn't work. I was wondering if the micro USB outputs audio and video like the incredible so I could use the dock with just a power cord plugged into the micro USB cable and plug the micro USB into the one micro port on the back of the car dock.

The only thing the micro usb port does on the razr is charge the device or transfer files to a computer or another storage drive. The video you have to get from the hdmi cable. You will have to get audio from the mini stereo plug for headphones or from the hdmi audio. I'm no expert here. I've only had my razr about a week.

OP
P

Pat353

Reaction score
Thanks all, that is what I thought but was hoping it was like the Incredible. Looks like I will get a car dock, modify it so the HDMI cable will slide in like the USB and hopefully that will enable the webtop split screen like the HD Dock does. Then I will have to convert the HDMI signal out to composite through a converter, plug the RCAs in my car for left/right audio and video. I will power the converter through a handy USB plug with a barrel adaptor so I don't have to get an DC to AC converter in my car. This way, I will plug the USB end from the converter into a flattop 2 USB port cig charger in my console next to the RCA ins along with the USB from the micro USB Razr charger. This should power both the phone and converter while hiding all wires and enabling me to mirror my Razr screen instead of my stock navi for google navi, pandora, browsing, etc. I could even add a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse if wanted.

Now I just need to figure out what size barrel plug the converter takes, 3.5 mm or 5.5, anyone have a guess? I know it is DC 5 volt, 1 amp but dont know the size. Also, I am assuming the HDMI port will send out the audio from phone calls to my car speakers as well, yes? Is there anyway to mount a microphone in my car to connect to the phone for hands free calling since I didn't order the Infiniti Bluetooth option? I love the idea of just sliding the phone in the dock and it automatically connecting and switching to the webtop application.

Very cool phone minus battery life but I am missing my iPhone due to all this.

majorcynic

Reaction score
Which HDMI cable is compatible with DROID 2?

I've been looking on the Verizon site for an HDMI cable for my DROID 2 so I can watch phone content on my HDTV - but each cable I click on says "not compatible with your device."

Does anyone know if there is a specific cable needed for DROID 2 for video?

pizzaman

Reaction score
I've been looking on the Verizon site for an HDMI cable for my DROID 2 so I can watch phone content on my HDTV - but each cable I click on says "not compatible with your device."

What size plug does your Droid have for the plugin? Is it the Micro HDMI or the Mini HDMI? The other end will be the standard HDMI plug that goes into your TV or AV receiver.
The micro and mini are not the same size. My razr has the micro plug. I think most of the other phones do too. You go to Amazon.con and find all kinds of HDMI cables for excellent prices. Don't pay the high prices at BestBuy unless you're really in a hurry.

majorcynic

Reaction score
What size plug does your Droid have for the plugin? Is it the Micro HDMI or the Mini HDMI? The other end will be the standard HDMI plug that goes into your TV or AV receiver.
The micro and mini are not the same size. My razr has the micro plug. I think most of the other phones do too. You go to Amazon.con and find all kinds of HDMI cables for excellent prices. Don't pay the high prices at BestBuy unless you're really in a hurry.

Micro. I'm just really trying to confirm which cable I need to get because I'm seeing that some are compatible with DROID X for example, but not DROID 2, and I'm not sure why.

pizzaman

Reaction score
Micro. I'm just really trying to confirm which cable I need to get because I'm seeing that some are compatible with DROID X for example, but not DROID 2, and I'm not sure why.

All legit HDMI cables are supposed to conform to a standard. here is the link to the one I bought for my razr. This should work perfectly for your droid since you said it has the micro HDMI port.
Amazon.com: Cable Matters 15 ft Premium GOLD Plated Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable for HTC EVO 4G, Motorola Droid X and other portable devices with Micro HDMI port: Electronics

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Originally Posted by Pat353

The only thing the micro usb port does on the razr is charge the device or transfer files to a computer or another storage drive. The video you have to get from the hdmi cable. You will have to get audio from the mini stereo plug for headphones or from the hdmi audio. I'm no expert here. I've only had my razr about a week.
This isn't completely true. There's a Motorola cable that has a micro-USB connector on one end and then splits into a type A USB connector (the standard USB male plug), and a mini stereo headphone jack (1/8 inch). This cable apparently comes with the more recent version of the car dock so that you can keep the audio output from the dock connected to your car stereo and only have to drop the phone onto the dock and push down the USB connector to Get both power and stereo audio with only one cable. This means the USB port on the RAZR (and at least the Bionic, but possibly others), puts put audio as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

webster8004

Reaction score

There is no HDMI out on a droid 2 and i have not seen a usb to HDMI cable available either, but good luck on ur search for one