c:geo

acturbo

Reaction score
Does anyone use c:geo? the cache app for maps? If so, how does it work lol.. is it for on road maps, off road? How do you turn it on? It has great reviews but cant quite figure it out ..

Couldnt find it in the market, am I searching for the wrong thing when searching for "c:geo", or is this not in the market?

Its cgeo in the market, no colon.

c:geo by carnero

chart

:rockon:

No dice, app is not in the market, tried searching "cgeo" and also scanning your QR. No luck, maybe they removed it?

Edit nevermind, while it is not in the market I can just get the apk off the website it appears.

Edit Edit

Wanted to try it but Im not going to deal with the hassle, everytime I try to install the .apk it tells me "Application not installed". Oh well.

Last edited:

DVR6

Reaction score
The only area that it really stuggles with is getting you to cache through the initial navigation. I've found that my Garmin is much more accurate when trying to find the general location while driving. Once I'm actually within walking distance however, it's good.

If you bring up the compass and from there hit the droid menu button you can select a turn by turn navigation. The turn by turn brings up google navigation for driving directions...

carolynchey

Reaction score
I'm new to this and don't know what "rooted" or "non-rooted means". Can you fill me in?

carolynchey

Reaction score
changing coordinates with c:geo

I was using this app on a multi cache yesterday. I started with the posted coordinates, but then needed to change them (or add new coordinates) to get to the next stage. At first I thought I could enter the latitude and longitude in "search by coordinates", but that only showed me nearby caches. Is there a way to do this on this app? Thanks!

carolynchey

Reaction score
re: changing coordinates in c:geo

I was using this app on a multi cache yesterday. I started with the posted coordinates, but then needed to change them (or add new coordinates) to get to the next stage. At first I thought I could enter the latitude and longitude in "search by coordinates", but that only showed me nearby caches. Is there a way to do this on this app? Thanks!

Never mind. I found "set destination" in the compass menu. I don't know why I didn't find it yesterday. Sorry!!

acturbo

Reaction score
Couldnt find it in the market, am I searching for the wrong thing when searching for "c:geo", or is this not in the market?

Its cgeo in the market, no colon.

c:geo by carnero

chart

:rockon:

No dice, app is not in the market, tried searching "cgeo" and also scanning your QR. No luck, maybe they removed it?

Edit nevermind, while it is not in the market I can just get the apk off the website it appears.

Edit Edit

Wanted to try it but Im not going to deal with the hassle, everytime I try to install the .apk it tells me "Application not installed". Oh well.

Update to my post, this app is in the market and I did get it to install successfully. I discovered my phone was having a weird problem where it wouldn't find certain apps in the marketplace. After reinstalling Smoked glass everything does now work.

brianes99

Reaction score
i have cachemate and geobeagle and c:geo. c:geo is by far the best. Cachemate way too slow. beagle is very nice with pocket queries but has problems (at least for me) posting. C:geo's programmer is CONSTANTLY improving things...there are days where he will add 2-3 tweeks. He is also very quick at responding to problems and feedback.. Only issues I've had with c:geo are 1) multi-caches..which the issue was fixed 2) offline caching (such as with a pocket query, and he is working on that.

bristolcat

Reaction score
LOVE C:Geo. The app is updated often and the developer communicates a lot. If you are a fan of the app, find him on Facebook. It's pretty cool to hear about his progress.

Stock Droid here, having no trouble with the app at all. It's amazing. It leads me right up to the cache almost every time.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just bought my kids Garmin eTrex H's for Easter. We are going to compare the Droid, the Droid Eris, and the Garmins side by side, by side, by side this coming weekend. Just standing in my front yard this morning, I was showing a 6' error on my Droid, but the Garmin was showing a 12' error. Thats fine in the front yard, but I will be interested in seeing how they stack up in the woods, under the canopy.

Docapi

Reaction score
Is anyone non-rooted using this app? I got bit by the GC bug a couple of weeks ago, and have been addicted since. Im rooted, OC's and running UD ( I know, I need to change my sig). My gps is ok until I get within about 30' of GZ, then all bets are off. usually I end up doing the drunken bumblebee dance in about a 100' radius of GZ. I usuallu have a 10' or less margin of error, but it will tell me GZ is 15' ahead, Ill walk 2 paces, then it will tell me GZ is 50' behind me. I had one cache I couldn't find last week, I just kept zig zagging through the woods. I went back today, and it give me headaches again. I was determined I would find the cache, so I closed the compass, and opened the google maps view. I zoomed in as far as I could go, and put my blue dot right on the point of the cache marker, I looked around me, and the cache was 5' to my left.I had walked around that area following the compass, but never got closer than 20' (in heavy woods) to GZ.
I guess my question would be, is this a Mod/OC issue, an app issue, or just the limitation of the phone?
I am looking at buying a Rhino, but after dropping the money on the Droid, I didnt want to drop another $250 on a GPS that I didnt know if I would use or not. Plus, having it on my phone is a nice option when you find yourself with an unexpected hour and a half of free time and there are 4 caches within a half mile radius.

None of the above. Welcome to Geocaching. The Moto droid is my 6th GPS, and every one of them does that. It is just the way it is.

That "10 ft margin of error" thing doesn't mean what you would think it does. In reality, the margin of error is much larger than what it says. Typically, if you go slow enough to get to near ground zero, you are better off putting the GPS down and looking the hard way at that point.

Last edited:

brianes99

Reaction score
Is anyone non-rooted using this app? I got bit by the GC bug a couple of weeks ago, and have been addicted since. Im rooted, OC's and running UD ( I know, I need to change my sig). My gps is ok until I get within about 30' of GZ, then all bets are off. usually I end up doing the drunken bumblebee dance in about a 100' radius of GZ. I usuallu have a 10' or less margin of error, but it will tell me GZ is 15' ahead, Ill walk 2 paces, then it will tell me GZ is 50' behind me. I had one cache I couldn't find last week, I just kept zig zagging through the woods. I went back today, and it give me headaches again. I was determined I would find the cache, so I closed the compass, and opened the google maps view. I zoomed in as far as I could go, and put my blue dot right on the point of the cache marker, I looked around me, and the cache was 5' to my left.I had walked around that area following the compass, but never got closer than 20' (in heavy woods) to GZ.
I guess my question would be, is this a Mod/OC issue, an app issue, or just the limitation of the phone?
I am looking at buying a Rhino, but after dropping the money on the Droid, I didnt want to drop another $250 on a GPS that I didnt know if I would use or not. Plus, having it on my phone is a nice option when you find yourself with an unexpected hour and a half of free time and there are 4 caches within a half mile radius.

None of the above. Welcome to Geocaching. The Moto droid is my 6th GPS, and every one of them does that. It is just the way it is.

That "10 ft margin of error" thing doesn't mean what you would think it does. In reality, the margin of error is much larger than what it says. Typically, if you go slow enough to get to near ground zero, you are better off putting the GPS down and looking the hard way at that point.

non-rooted and using c:geo. Yes there are a number of times that the gps signal will bounce around, does it for droid and my garmin nuvi.

Also depends alot on the accuracy of the person hiding the cache. There are MANY that c:geo (or geobeagle) will take me right to the spot, and equally as many that will say i'm 20-30 feet away from where the cache really is.

That's part of the fun of the hunt.

dantrona

Reaction score
I originally used Cachepoint, Bought the premium membership just for the .nav files. Was a pain in the butt reloading it because I couldn't seem to get the .nav files from the internet directly, always had to load them through my phone. Another friend who bought a droid found this one before I could tell him about Cachepoint, Made my world go round afterwards. Its okay, I can still show him what other things are awesome. Have had no problems on my Rooted Droid. (Short of the occasional dead zone up in the mountains) I think I enjoy the most of it that it ISN'T direct, it keeps it fun but keeps me close at the same time so I still have to look.