Bypass Activation

bdbraaten

Reaction score
I just picked up a used Eris for my wife to use while we send her Ally in for repair again.

I currently have her number activated on a different phone, I want to get logged into the Eris and have it all set up for her before I make the number siwtch to this phone.

I did a hard reset and now can't get past the initial activation screen, which I assume activates it on a specific number. Is it possible to get past this screen and use wifi to get her google account setup and apps installed before I do the 'activation' and put her number on the phone?

Thanks for the help,

OP
bdbraaten

bdbraaten

Reaction score
Found this, it was close. The 2.1 screen was different but I found something that looked close to the nam1 and 2 that worked.

As many people notice tapping 4 corners on HTC eris doesnt work because the version of it is different from regular DROID but this is the only way you can bypass it.
STEP 1) press EMERGENCY CALL
STEP 2) DIAL ##778 (CALL)
STEP 3) PRESS EDIT MODE
STEP 4) ENTER PASSWORD WHICH IS: 000000
STEP 5) TAP NAM Settings
STEP 6) Enter Your 10 digit phone number press OK
STEP 7) TAP NAM 1 and enter you 7 digid cel phone number without area code
STEP 8) TAP NAM 2 enter your 3 digit area code
STEP 9) TAP back
STEP 10) TAP SID/NID settings and change the left box to: 40 leave the right box as it is(then tap ok)
STEP 11) TAP MENU
STEP 12) TAP COMMIT MOD.
AFTER STEP 12 the android eris will restart in 10 seconds and will bypass the main activation screen.
This is the manual configuation for HTC ERIS

charon79m

Reaction score
4 Corners Doesn't Work with 2.1

I was just about to post the above instructions because I spent HOURS digging though posts that said to use the 4-corners.

To give credit where credit is due, here is where I found the instructions:

How to bypass activation htc droid eris - Skipping htc eris activation no contract cell phones :: Ask Me Fast

My reason for needing this is that I was give an old Eris from a fanboy jumping on the "Verizon's got the iPhone!" bandwagon. For me, the eris will become a wireless diagnostic tool, PDA, MP3 Player, IM platform etc. Unfortunately, I was locked at the registration page. I used the above instructions to bypass, and now I've got an amazing little diagnostic tool!

palswim

Reaction score
Found this, it was close. The 2.1 screen was different but I found something that looked close to the nam1 and 2 that worked.

As many people notice tapping 4 corners on HTC eris doesnt work because the version of it is different from regular DROID but this is the only way you can bypass it.
STEP 1) press EMERGENCY CALL
STEP 2) DIAL ##778 (CALL)
STEP 3) PRESS EDIT MODE
STEP 4) ENTER PASSWORD WHICH IS: 000000
STEP 5) TAP NAM Settings
STEP 6) Enter Your 10 digit phone number press OK
STEP 7) TAP NAM 1 and enter you 7 digid cel phone number without area code
STEP 8) TAP NAM 2 enter your 3 digit area code
STEP 9) TAP back
STEP 10) TAP SID/NID settings and change the left box to: 40 leave the right box as it is(then tap ok)
STEP 11) TAP MENU
STEP 12) TAP COMMIT MOD.
AFTER STEP 12 the android eris will restart in 10 seconds and will bypass the main activation screen.
This is the manual configuation for HTC ERIS

So, I registered only to say Thanks! Your post solved my issue with an HTC Incredible phone that I reset (without knowing it would force me to activate again).

On the HTC Incredible, the names of the settings differ slightly, but I took a few guesses and everything works for me.

The parts that differ for the HTC Incredible:
STEP 5) TAP NAM Settings
STEP 6) TAP Mobile Directory Number(MDN)
STEP 6A) Enter Your 10 digit phone number press OK
STEP 7) TAP MIN1 and enter you 7 digid cel phone number without area code
STEP 8) TAP MIN2 enter your 3 digit area code

foutchj

Reaction score
Bypass activation screen, Verizon HTC Incredible 1, No service, No data, WIFI only

Thanks!

The 1234 corner method apparently does NOT apply to the HTC Incredible 1.

The the step by step (Incredible amended) instructions above worked perfect on the Incredible 1.

Since I often find these forum threads while searching for "how to" information, I'll give a run down of what I did, and hope it helps someone else out there.

My daughter wanted an ipod touch 4th generation for Christmas, $180 or MUCH more! OUCH!
One concern about used ipods and iphones is that you can't easily replace the battery that may already be a year or more old.
Also, you can NOT expand the memory. If you want 32GB of memory, you must pay for the higher priced version.

With her permission of course, I instead bought her a Verizon branded HTC Droid Incredible 1 for $90 in flawless condition.
When it arrived in the mail I was worried because I could not get by the activation screen. After searching around I found this thread, followed the instructions, and it worked perfect!

Tested:
I surfed the web, downloaded the TextFree+ app. All via the WIFI network inside my house.
She can text her friends using the TextFree+ app if her friends download the same app.

I love the phone which also has a built in FM radio!

I still have to wrap it up for Christmas and give it away.... bummer :(

Advice to others- monitor your bill the next couple of months and make sure nothing unexpected happens.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score
Actually, there is one other way to bypass initial activation for the Eris: Allow the phone to try to activate, but immediately disconnect the phone as it starts ringing. It will try three times; after the third time, it will give up and bring you to the initial setup screen without activating.

tk1ders

Reaction score
How do I edit the MDN for my Incredible???

I have the HTC Incredible (not 1 or 2), just the Incredible....I have tried EVERYthing that's been suggested to get passed the activation screen. Nothing is working. I am trying to use this option below but my phone will not allow me to edit the Mobile Directory Number (MDN)...how can I do this? Also, I am out of the country and my phone had been working fine just using wi fi and no phone service. I mistakenly did a factory reset and now I am at the activation screen and I just can't get passed it. I need more help!

So, I registered only to say Thanks! Your post solved my issue with an HTC Incredible phone that I reset (without knowing it would force me to activate again).

On the HTC Incredible, the names of the settings differ slightly, but I took a few guesses and everything works for me.

The parts that differ for the HTC Incredible:
STEP 5) TAP NAM Settings
STEP 6) TAP Mobile Directory Number(MDN)
STEP 6A) Enter Your 10 digit phone number press OK
STEP 7) TAP MIN1 and enter you 7 digid cel phone number without area code
STEP 8) TAP MIN2 enter your 3 digit area code

hamdi123

Reaction score
use the emegency dial method

I have the HTC Incredible (not 1 or 2), just the Incredible....I have tried EVERYthing that's been suggested to get passed the activation screen. Nothing is working. I am trying to use this option below but my phone will not allow me to edit the Mobile Directory Number (MDN)...how can I do this? Also, I am out of the country and my phone had been working fine just using wi fi and no phone service. I mistakenly did a factory reset and now I am at the activation screen and I just can't get passed it. I need more help!

doogald

Reaction score

Did you try letting the phone try to dial activation and then fail? On the Eris, at least, after three tries it will give up and continue on with normal Android activation using WiFi. I'm not sure if the DInc is the same, though.

tk1ders

Reaction score
I have tried both the emergency dial method (it won't let me edit the MDN though!) and also allowing the activation call to fail countless times...nothing is working. Any other suggestions? Is there a way to force another factory reset and try again? I can't access my settings obviously until I get passed this activation screen