Buying the Droid - Where do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by sc4fpse, Dec 13, 2009.

1. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Initially, I, like most people, came into the scene thinking "well, of course I'm going to get it where it's cheapest." However, reading the numerous horror stories people here have shared regarding exchanging a faulty phone for a new one have left me somewhat nervous.

Obviously, I would like to get the phone as cheap as possible. But at the same time, in no way do I want a nightmare that some people here have described.

I should note, however, that I have no intention of purchasing insurance for the phone. I take very good care of my phones. In almost 5 years with a cell phone, I have dropped a phone once. And even then, it was in the break room at work when a co-worker brushed up against a pile of ads it was sitting on top of. It sounds like some people here are extremely careless with their cell phones. I treat mine like gold... and I've only owned a v3m and a W755. No smart phones.

So, considering the terrible experiences some people have had at third party retailers (including Best Buy), and the fact that I don't plan on purchasing anyone's insurance plan, where would you recommend I purchase my Droid? I'm seriously leaning towards Verizon Wireless now, even if that means paying up to $80 more for the phone. :\

Thoughts?

2. mth04

mth04 Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would buy the phone from VZW online. free shipping and free activation that way. Also I would buy the insurance. I saw a post yesterday about how someone's Droid went swimming. No insurance and it's gonna be $550 to get a new one. The insurance is $6 a month or something it's worth it

3. jduke1980

jduke1980 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine at Best buy for $199 and 2 weeks later found out Dell had them for $149. I called Best Buy and they said come in and they would refund the difference. Yay!!!
    So, I would suggest going to Best Buy and telling them dell has it for $149, they will look it up on their computer to confirm and give you that price and you won't have to wait for delivery.
    Welcome to our Wireless World

4. raven1911

raven1911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would say best buy because they price match and are still a legit VZW retailer with no hidden contract crap. If the droid comes out cheaper, you can take it in and they will give you the difference. Good deal IMO.

5. vectex

vectex New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds al gravy but keep in mind that if you have a problem with the phone after 30 days, Verizon will not honor the 1 year replacement that they provide when you purchase the headset from them. I was informed by this from a Verizon rep when I called to question the price difference. Just some food for thought.

6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    I always buy from a corporate store....Zero Issues....
    Never a problem with service
    Never a problem with rebates....They credit them directly to my account.

Why go 3rd party for sometimes sub-standard service just to save a buck or two....

7. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where to buy

I would also suggest looking at the 1 year contract cost vs the 2 year deal. VZW charges 199 for a 2 year deal but only charge 229 for a one year contract. Most people I know want a newest and greatest sooner than 2 years and with the ETF just being doubled to $350, it makes sense to spend the extra $30 upfront.:motdroidhoriz:

8. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

One more question: When money comes out of my bank account, I have an awful tendency to slowly spend it. Therefore, I'd really like to order online from Verizon Wireless, get the quick shipping, and have the instant rebate, rather than the mail-in debit card rebate business that the B&M Verizon stores offer. I would prefer that the money never even leave my bank account, simply because of my terrible habits.

So, my question is, if I order the phone online, if I were to experience any trouble with it, do I have to mail it back to wherever it was sent from, or can I do an exchange at a Verizon Wireless store/kiosk? I'm pretty sure the latter is true, but I'm just looking for some confirmation here.

Thanks again. I greatly appreciate it. :)

9. vectex

vectex New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to go to the store. Before they would not let you return or exchange but from what I have been told that has now changed and you can get service at the Verizon Store. Good Luck and I hope that you enjoy your new Moto Droid!!

10. ptfd13

ptfd13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 7
    I bought mine from Best Buy and don't regret it whatsoever. I paid $119.00 out the door because of their price matching. I pay $8 Dollars a month for the insurance and get more out of it than Verizon offers. It comes with the exact same one year warrenty from Motorola that Verizon offers too. All in all I paid alot less and got the same thing I would have had I went to a Verizon store.

11. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say VZW online..instant discount by the way. Verizon store in 2nd place (just for the record, mail-in rebate)....

but I'll be honest when I sent money out to somebody so they could buy a Droid, I told them to go to Best Buy and they would get the instant rebate.

All 3 should be reliable.

12. vectex

vectex New Member

Ratings:
    +0

This is just a friendly clarification of my earlier comment. Verizon wireless will not replace your phone if you have purchased it from a non corporate store and you are having issues with it. Yes, it does come with Moto warranty no matter where you purchase the phone but if you buy the phone at a non corporate store and have issues with the phone they will ask you to either go back to the store if it’s within the 30days or send it to Moto for repair. Verizon will not service the phone in any way from what I have been told by several reps and supervisors from a previous experience. They only offer the swap out to customers that purchase the unit directly for them.

The Insurance would require you to make a claim in which you would have to pay a deductible for the refurbished handset. I believe that they would only allow you to make 2 claims a year. Verizon will swap the unit out 3 times and if you still are having issues with the 4th unit they will replace it with a brand new unit or model depending on availability.

I personally would rather pay a little more and have less of a headache just to because of my bad experiences with warranties.