1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Buying phones from ebay...W

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Suuperflie, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Suuperflie

Suuperflie New Member

How easy is it to activate a phone you buy from ebay? And, how do you know if it's stolen or not before you buy it? There's a phone I want to bid on, but I want to make sure I'm not going to get screwed when I go to activate it.
  2. matt2783

matt2783 New Member

You can't activate it from ebay but you can contact the seller and ask for the MEID number. Then, call Verizon, give them the number and verify the ESN is clean.
  3. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

Yep, check the MEID, and make sure you look at the sellers feedback. I don't buy anything expensive like a phone from anybody with less than 99% feedback, and i even look to see what kind of stuff they have sold before. If they got 30 positive feedbacks from selling cookie cutters, i might not feel too safe being the first to purchase something of value from them.

Also, pay with paypal, then you will be protected by ebay and paypal against fraud.
  4. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

Yeah anyone who is not willing to prove to you that the phone can be activated is not worth buying from.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)
  5. Suuperflie

Suuperflie New Member

Yeah, I tried contacting him, but it tells me he can't be contacted, so I can't ask a question. Past reviews are good though and he's sold quite a few phones.

He's got 100% positive feedback.
  6. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

I wouldnt have a problem at all buying from that seller then. I still pay for everything through paypal, just to add a layer of security.
  7. loki993

loki993 New Member

what kind of phone is it? There is a seller on there that sells a ton of stuff and they gaurentee them for 30 days.

I dont think Id buy from someone that I couldnt contact no matter how much good feedback they had. I would still want to verify the ESN.
  8. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

me too, just for that. had a few dishonest sellers and paypal sides with buyers most of the time so it's pretty safe.
  9. Suuperflie

Suuperflie New Member

It's a Droid 2 to tide me over until something better comes along. I don't want to waste my last NE2 upgrade on anything that's out now.
  10. Googleaddict

Googleaddict New Member

I think it's pretty easy. Alot of my friends did it with their droids. Im selling my X if anybody is interested PM me :p
  11. BodyBagz

BodyBagz Active Member

You can do what you want, but myself personally, would never purchase anything from a seller I couldnt communicate with pre/during or post sale...thats just plain ridiculous and asking for headaches.

Yes, PayPal does offer a blanket of security...but that doesnt mean the buyer is covered 100%...there are still ways for a seller to get by with scamming you...it happens everyday.

Again, just to drive the point home...A seller who can not be contacted is a seller I would not need to contact anyway, cause theres no way in high heaven I would send him/her any of my hard earned money.

Also, so I aint just raining on your parade...whu dont you go over to Android Fourms and check out their Classifieds section...plenty of deals to be had, and a smaller user base less likel;y to screw you over...sales are even made right at a Verizon store if the buyer/seller are within commuting distance...:)
  12. Suuperflie

Suuperflie New Member

Thanks! I didn't know that existed. I think I'll pass on the ebay phone.
  13. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

WATCH FOR DEVICES THAT DO NOT COME WITH A WALL CHARGER!!!! If it does not come with a charger, it is most likely stolen. Scratch that, just don't buy from anyone who will not give you the MEID.
  14. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

Swappa is another good website. The seller's who sell there are supposed to be committing to the fact that the phone has a clean ESN.
  15. loki993

loki993 New Member

16. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

Just so you know, i was able to contact this seller. Just go down to "ask seller a question"
Search tags for this page
provide meid ebay

safe to give out meid number