Buying phones from ebay...W

Suuperflie

Reaction score
How easy is it to activate a phone you buy from ebay? And, how do you know if it's stolen or not before you buy it? There's a phone I want to bid on, but I want to make sure I'm not going to get screwed when I go to activate it.

matt2783

Reaction score
You can't activate it from ebay but you can contact the seller and ask for the MEID number. Then, call Verizon, give them the number and verify the ESN is clean.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Yep, check the MEID, and make sure you look at the sellers feedback. I don't buy anything expensive like a phone from anybody with less than 99% feedback, and i even look to see what kind of stuff they have sold before. If they got 30 positive feedbacks from selling cookie cutters, i might not feel too safe being the first to purchase something of value from them.

Also, pay with paypal, then you will be protected by ebay and paypal against fraud.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah anyone who is not willing to prove to you that the phone can be activated is not worth buying from.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

OP
Suuperflie

Suuperflie

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried contacting him, but it tells me he can't be contacted, so I can't ask a question. Past reviews are good though and he's sold quite a few phones.

He's got 100% positive feedback.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried contacting him, but it tells me he can't be contacted, so I can't ask a question. Past reviews are good though and he's sold quite a few phones.

He's got 100% positive feedback.

I wouldnt have a problem at all buying from that seller then. I still pay for everything through paypal, just to add a layer of security.

loki993

Reaction score
what kind of phone is it? There is a seller on there that sells a ton of stuff and they gaurentee them for 30 days.

I dont think Id buy from someone that I couldnt contact no matter how much good feedback they had. I would still want to verify the ESN.

OP
Suuperflie

Suuperflie

Reaction score
what kind of phone is it? There is a seller on there that sells a ton of stuff and they gaurentee them for 30 days.

I dont think Id buy from someone that I couldnt contact no matter how much good feedback they had. I would still want to verify the ESN.

It's a Droid 2 to tide me over until something better comes along. I don't want to waste my last NE2 upgrade on anything that's out now.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
You can do what you want, but myself personally, would never purchase anything from a seller I couldnt communicate with pre/during or post sale...thats just plain ridiculous and asking for headaches.

Yes, PayPal does offer a blanket of security...but that doesnt mean the buyer is covered 100%...there are still ways for a seller to get by with scamming you...it happens everyday.

Again, just to drive the point home...A seller who can not be contacted is a seller I would not need to contact anyway, cause theres no way in high heaven I would send him/her any of my hard earned money.

Also, so I aint just raining on your parade...whu dont you go over to Android Fourms and check out their Classifieds section...plenty of deals to be had, and a smaller user base less likel;y to screw you over...sales are even made right at a Verizon store if the buyer/seller are within commuting distance...:)

OP
Suuperflie

Suuperflie

Reaction score
You can do what you want, but myself personally, would never purchase anything from a seller I couldnt communicate with pre/during or post sale...thats just plain ridiculous and asking for headaches.

Yes, PayPal does offer a blanket of security...but that doesnt mean the buyer is covered 100%...there are still ways for a seller to get by with scamming you...it happens everyday.

Again, just to drive the point home...A seller who can not be contacted is a seller I would not need to contact anyway, cause theres no way in high heaven I would send him/her any of my hard earned money.

Also, so I aint just raining on your parade...whu dont you go over to Android Fourms and check out their Classifieds section...plenty of deals to be had, and a smaller user base less likel;y to screw you over...sales are even made right at a Verizon store if the buyer/seller are within commuting distance...:)

Thanks! I didn't know that existed. I think I'll pass on the ebay phone.

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
How easy is it to activate a phone you buy from ebay? And, how do you know if it's stolen or not before you buy it? There's a phone I want to bid on, but I want to make sure I'm not going to get screwed when I go to activate it.

WATCH FOR DEVICES THAT DO NOT COME WITH A WALL CHARGER!!!! If it does not come with a charger, it is most likely stolen. Scratch that, just don't buy from anyone who will not give you the MEID.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Swappa is another good website. The seller's who sell there are supposed to be committing to the fact that the phone has a clean ESN.