Buying phone through Costco w/o membership / VZN Upgrade Question

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
new every 2 upgrades discounts don't apply at Costco on top of there discounted price..

Yeah I was strictly talking about VZW, I wasn't specific so sorry. I was just trying to let the OP know that he could upgrade early anyways through VZW without having to wait for that elgibility date.

Sent from my Moto Droid

Billyd

Reaction score
Ok, I saw someone mention their $50 discount from VZW. I'm pretty sure, but could be off a few days, but when I went into VZW last night the kid there looked up my acct and says yes sir, you are due an upgrade and a discount. After a minute he says, it will cost $269.00 that's with my $30 discount.

Now I haven't kept up with pricing much but after 2yrs and having been a VZW customer for as long as I can remember (oh ya, Star-Tacs) lol Any who, I was sure I had read some place that we got $50 off the $299 but he said no. So I said bye. I'm still looking for my original receipt from my Droid but seems he would have mentioned I was a few days early if that was the case.

As stated in other discussions, I would prefer not to deal with VZW locally so I was checking on Costco. So this thread has been very helpful in that regard. I have always wanted to check it out anyway because of good deals I hear about online so I wouldn't mind at all paying a membership fee. I think it would be more than worth it for their return policy especially on a $300 cell phone, not to mention the bonus accessories that most will want also.

So I think I'll make a run to Costco around noon and see if all goes ok.
If there are any other tidbits of info I should know, I would greatly appreciate knowing.

Many thanks
X/BillyD..
icon14.png

Gmansurge

Reaction score
I got a $50 discount at VZW. But a week later I could have spent the same at Costco and they include about $50 in accessories.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

mikeinctown

Reaction score
When you are first eligible for the upgrade, you get a $30 credit. As you get closer to your contract expiration date, they give you a $50 credit instead.

Wish Costco had one day passes so I could check out the store. I want to see if they have anything I want that BJs doesn't give me as they are both locally to me. Not about to pay for a membership to find out.

middleP

Reaction score
Piggybacking on the OP's question, does your contract change when renewing through Costco?

That is, do you keep your same plan (i.e. unlimited data) OR are you forced to a newer plan?

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Piggybacking on the OP's question, does your contract change when renewing through Costco?

That is, do you keep your same plan (i.e. unlimited data) OR are you forced to a newer plan?

Plan stays identical. They should run through the normal checklist to make sure you want to keep what you have, but I would advise making it known you want to keep unlimited data. When the guy was going over my plan, he asked if I wanted to keep unlimited data (of course I said yes), but he did mention that he was given the option or prompted to switch me to a 4GB promotional data package as he was going through the upgrade steps. He was on top of his stuff and knew to ask, but I could certainly see a less savvy person accepting the promotion without ever mentioning it. Again, they should mention this at the very end before you sign your new agreement, but I wouldn't put it past anyone to oversee this subtle mistake.

chewy74

Reaction score
you did this while IN the store right? or over the phone?

how do i make sure i keep my unlimited plan if i order online? (for the people that dont have a memership or want one)

Plan stays identical. They should run through the normal checklist to make sure you want to keep what you have, but I would advise making it known you want to keep unlimited data. When the guy was going over my plan, he asked if I wanted to keep unlimited data (of course I said yes), but he did mention that he was given the option or prompted to switch me to a 4GB promotional data package as he was going through the upgrade steps. He was on top of his stuff and knew to ask, but I could certainly see a less savvy person accepting the promotion without ever mentioning it. Again, they should mention this at the very end before you sign your new agreement, but I wouldn't put it past anyone to oversee this subtle mistake.

Billyd

Reaction score
That's some good info to say the least.
I did take a look at Costco online but didn't notice an option for keeping my unlimited data plan. Prolly cause I didn't do a complete sign in etc.. Think I'll see if I can find a local number for Costco and try and make sure they have the Razr in stock.
Again many thanks and hope the OP doesn't mind the piggy-back post. ')
X/BillyD..

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
you did this while IN the store right? or over the phone?

how do i make sure i keep my unlimited plan if i order online? (for the people that dont have a memership or want one)

Yeah, this was inside a Costco. I can't comment on on what the procedure is online, but based on the previous post, I would imagine it's as simple as checking a box to keep unlimited data.

Last edited:

birddroid

Reaction score
When you are first eligible for the upgrade, you get a $30 credit. As you get closer to your contract expiration date, they give you a $50 credit instead.

Wish Costco had one day passes so I could check out the store. I want to see if they have anything I want that BJs doesn't give me as they are both locally to me. Not about to pay for a membership to find out.

sorry but this info is wrong some accounts have a ne2 of 30 some are 50 it depends on priceplan and when the last ne2 credit was used. also if you are not eligible for a ne2 upgrade but only an early or annual upgrade i do not believe it can de done at indirect stores

Last edited: