Buying phone through Costco w/o membership / VZN Upgrade Question

TheBoyPat

Reaction score
Okay this is a multi-tiered question and I'm a little jumbled to bear with me.

I have a Droid X which I purchased on release. So my next 2 year upgrade will be (according to VZN) 3/16/2012

I got some card in the mail saying "Get our lowest promotional price on any phone. (new 2 yr required) (hurry, offer ends soon)

Does this basically mean I get a early upgrade or am I missing something?

--Okay, onto Costco. How does the above apply to me? Can I upgrade? I don't have a membership but have many friends and relatives who do. Is the price better?

MattCHowell

Reaction score
When you sign into my verizon, does it say you're eligible for an upgrade? You don't have to be a member to shop costco's online phones, and they're always cheaper or exact same as verizon...normally cheaper.

Ricardo_r21

Reaction score
I guess am still not clear on buying from costco w/out a membership. If you don't have a membership with them, you can still upgrade with them online but not at the store?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

MattCHowell

Reaction score
Correct, you have to have a membership card to get into the store to visit the kiosk. The wireless section online is separate from the costco website. You technically leave costco's page to go to the membershipwireless site

jasonrobb

Reaction score
When you sign into my verizon, does it say you're eligible for an upgrade? You don't have to be a member to shop costco's online phones, and they're always cheaper or exact same as verizon...normally cheaper.

I am a supervisor at costco and you will need a membership to purchase a cell phone. The wireless booth provides a branch between cell phone service providers and the phones that COSTCO sells. But the phone itself is sold through Costco. The only thing you can buy at Costco without a membership is food court items and pharmacy items. And you can not use someone else's membership either, it has to be in your name.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

MattCHowell

Reaction score
I am a supervisor at costco and you will need a membership to purchase a cell phone. The wireless booth provides a branch between cell phone service providers and the phones that COSTCO sells. But the phone itself is sold through Costco. The only thing you can buy at Costco without a membership is food court items and pharmacy items. And you can not use someone else's membership either, it has to be in your name.

I'm a person that just purchased a phone through costco's website...no membership required. Sup @ costco has nothing to do with wireless advocates nationwide.

jasonrobb

Reaction score
I'm a person that just purchased a phone through costco's website...no membership required. Sup @ costco has nothing to do with wireless advocates nationwide.

You had to pay a service charge to do that and you can't return it in store for another phone.

MattCHowell

Reaction score
You had to pay a service charge to do that and you can't return it in store for another phone.

No service charge, and actually, returned the thunderbolt for my wife on Friday in exchange for the Razr. 90 day exchange policy still applies. The thunderbolt was originally purchased for $39.99

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

I think he was specifically referring to in store (hence, him being a supervisor at Costco). Anyways, I can attest you need a membership to purchase the phone AT Costco, but I don't see why you couldn't have someone else with a membership purchase it for you (like a gift). While all the dealings regarding the phone and upgrade are through the wireless kiosk, you still take a purchase order to the main checkout area and pay for the phone. Once that is completed, a supervisor will get a phone from the 'cage' and walk it back to the wireless kiosk for you, and then the phone will be setup.

I purchased my Razr at Costco Saturday and this is exactly what went down, minus having someone else buy it for me.

jasonrobb

Reaction score
No service charge, and actually, returned the thunderbolt for my wife on Friday in exchange for the Razr. 90 day exchange policy still applies. The thunderbolt was originally purchased for $39.99

You have a lenient costco. That wouldn't work in most.

jasonrobb

Reaction score
I think he was specifically referring to in store (hence, him being a supervisor at Costco). Anyways, I can attest you need a membership to purchase the phone AT Costco, but I don't see why you couldn't have someone else with a membership purchase it for you (like a gift). While all the dealings regarding the phone and upgrade are through the wireless kiosk, you still take a purchase order to the main checkout area and pay for the phone. Once that is completed, a supervisor will get a phone from the 'cage' and walk it back to the wireless kiosk for you, and then the phone will be setup.

I purchased my Razr at Costco Saturday and this is exactly what went down, minus having someone else buy it for me.

As long as the "member" is paying it isn't an issue. But if a non-member is paying we won't accept payment.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Okay this is a multi-tiered question and I'm a little jumbled to bear with me.

I have a Droid X which I purchased on release. So my next 2 year upgrade will be (according to VZN) 3/16/2012

I got some card in the mail saying "Get our lowest promotional price on any phone. (new 2 yr required) (hurry, offer ends soon)

Does this basically mean I get a early upgrade or am I missing something?

--Okay, onto Costco. How does the above apply to me? Can I upgrade? I don't have a membership but have many friends and relatives who do. Is the price better?

Just wanted to let u know if u didn't but a few months back was thanking of getting the bionic but didn't have a upgrade yet. They told me I could upgrade early for a $20 fee. If I did that I would loose my $50 credit from my new every 2 when my upgrade was availble. Would be a $70 difference but was worth it to me so I could upgrade.

But I still held off, didn't buy the Bionic and now waiting on the GN and my upgrade was just elgible as of (10-23) for my $50 discount. On my verizon app it says I'm elgible now but a few months ago it didn't, that's when VZW told me I could upgrade for a $20 fee. Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my Moto Droid

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
new every 2 upgrades discounts don't apply at Costco on top of there discounted price..