Buying my phone online and activating it in store?

Livin PA

Reaction score
So here's the deal, I have unlimited data on my Droid Bionic and I want to upgrade to a Droid MAXX. I planned on using my dumb phone line to get the upgrade, activate it then transfer it over to the line with unlimited data. Problem is I hoped Verizon would drop the price down to $99 for the Droid Maxx and I don't see them doing that even though we are on the eve of Black Friday. However, for the longest time I could get the Droid Maxx on Amazon for $99. So the question is can I get the Droid Maxx on Amazon and bring it to a Verizon store to have it activated and transfered to my line with unlimited data? Or will they refuse to do it since I didn't purchase the phone in store? Thanks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I almost did the same thing with another line that had a tiered data plan. Once activated on the dumb phone line you should be able to transfer it over to your unlimited line with no issues.

However, I did hear that with phones bought off Amazon you have to keep it on the activated line for a specific amount of time? Not sure how true that is.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Yeah I did that with wirefly a few years ago and they said I had to keep it activated on the same line for 6 months or I would get charged like $350 or something like that. It sucked. I'm guessing Amazon has a smiliar policy to make sure people don't do this but I don't know.

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It looks like I will have to either suck it up and pay $200 or wait longer for the price on the Droid MAXX to drop, the Verizon stores in my area were closed today so I will have to talk to them tomorrow and see if they have a $99 deal on them. I appreciate you all letting me know about that waiting period or I would have seriously screwed myself. My Bionic is just getting slower and "glitchier" as time goes on so I am desperate to move on but between November and February I am in a lot of debt because of the holidays so to spend $200 now is a stretch.